PDA

View Full Version : Tom Kaye's Tech Tips #4 and Draxxus Rec-Sport

Jaremy Rykker
06-29-2004, 05:04 PM
So how do you know what you have and how do you test it? That is the subject of this tech tip. It is actually a tried and true process called a Bounce Test. We have used it for ten years to determine what type of paint we have and how it will work in the guns. In order for this test to have significance you must do the same thing every time and don't cut it short. Start with 10 paintballs, take one paintball and drop it from about 6 feet and let it hit a hard concrete surface. Catch it on the first bounce, do not let it bounce twice in one drop. Now with the same paintball drop it again from six feet, catch it and repeat until it breaks. Mark down how many bounces it took to break that paintball and then repeat with the other 9 balls. Throw out the high and the low numbers and average the other 8. This gives you the "bounce number" for the paint. Simple but effective. Make sure you use a hard surface not a wood floor etc.

So what does this bounce number tell you? 1-2 bounce paint is super fragile and will break down the barrel in most guns just from the air blast. It will also break in your tubes if you don't pack them tight. 1-2 bounce is pretty worthless paint, you can get it at Wall Mart. 2-3 bounce is considered fragile tourney paint, breaks on people and in the guns too. We are now seeing some field paint at this level. 4-6 bounce paint is good all around and considered fresh. It goes through most guns very reliably but will bounce more often on long shots. 6 and higher used to be considered the best tourney paint in the early 90's because it would go through the guns and never break. Nelson paint was very notable at 8-9 bounces. This paint is hard to find these days but still fun to shoot. Great for big games and when you just want to shoot a lot and not worry about anything. The best thing about high bounce paint is that as it gets older it still works pretty good. 2-3 bounce paint goes to unusable 1-2 bounce pretty fast.

My Draxxus Rec-Sport paint is almost unworkable with this test, and I was wondering if I was doing something wrong. I am about 6'1", and I drop these from about the height of my head. However, even after about 12-15 attempts with multiple balls the paint has yet to break. If I gently toss it at the ground, it will almost always bounce, but a hard throw will break it.

Can I ask if I'm doing something wrong, or if something is just wrong with my gun. When I play paintball I have no trouble with breaks, but it seems that the paint test just isn't working for my paint as it won't break on a normal drop. Does this have anything to do with the shell being more a plastic substance than some, because it doesn't even seem dimpled from most of the drops, although a couple have put soft spots on the paintball.

ß?µ£ §mµ®ƒ
06-29-2004, 05:16 PM
it could be the surface your dropping the paintball on, try dropping a paintball in a bounce house will it ever break? very very unlikely :dance: :bounce:

Jaremy Rykker
06-29-2004, 05:25 PM
I don't know. I'm dropping it on the cement floor of my garage. I could go try on asphalt or some surface like that, but something seems really off because they don't break from 6 feet on concrete when the test says they're supposed to.

Doobie
06-29-2004, 05:37 PM
It is probably due to the paint being "rec-sport". As it is named it is meant to be used in rec play, or field paint. As it will have to be shot through many types of guns and your average rec player (note...I said Average) does not have a barrel kit or a marker with an eye or ant-chop system. As such, it probably has an extra thick shell so it will get out of the gun. Have you noticed if it bounces off players that you shoot a little too much? More expensive paint tends to be more brittle so it will break on target the first time. Higher end users will pay more for this and they have the barrel kits and ACE systems to shoot it.
I hope that helps.

(Just a FYI...Blaze tends to be 5-6 bounce paint and Hellfire 2-4 bounce in my tests)

Jaremy Rykker
06-29-2004, 06:04 PM
So, is there a test I can use to determine the effectiveness of recreational quality paintballs? I like to produce very detailed reviews on products, and if there is no method of determining the shells quality for this, then I can't create a review.

PsychoBaller
06-29-2004, 07:38 PM
U should just be able to tell the quality of paint through holding it... if u can squeeze a paintball in between two fingers with little force and it breaks = crappy... if u have to apply medium pressure and it breaks - fantastic, if u have to apply hard force, or even cant break the paint while trying to break it with one hand... then its crappy.

common sense prevails

-baller

the123
06-29-2004, 07:40 PM
Sure, there is a test you can run. First get a skinny person, a medium person, and a fat person. Then stand them up and shoot them from various distances. Record the break/bounce ratio. Do this with many different kinds of paint. Post your results here.

BlackVCG
06-29-2004, 08:12 PM
Shoot it at an airball bunker and record how many bounce/break. Chances are, this stuff will most likely always bounce off of the bunker. You'll see at tournaments all the bunkers are covered with paint splats from the fill color of the "tournament grade" paint such as hellfire, evil, etc. These are usually 1-2 bounce paints.

The humidity and outside temperature will drastically affect your results, so be sure to record the environment conditions each time you conduct a test.

gc82000
06-29-2004, 09:21 PM
I know you guys are talking about draxxus, higher quality paint does not necessarily mena more brittle. Take evil for example, as the price gets higher the harder it gets. Bank shots are not unheard of on the airball feilds of Guam. And do you guys remember Proball those needed to be shot at like 320 to break on target. :bounce:

ghideon
06-29-2004, 09:32 PM
Gah, reminds me when we were playing 5v5 on a largish air ball field. Someone bounced on off a dorito and it hit me square in the back (I was turned). I thought someone on my team had got me....

And it was from someone using a pump!

deathstalker
06-29-2004, 09:38 PM
common sense prevails
As usual, no, it does not. What is little, medium, and hard force to you will be very different to other people. Brittle, medium, and hard paint can all be good and bad, depending on the application. There are tradeoffs for all of them, hence all the different grades of paint available from each of the manufacturers.

riooso
06-29-2004, 10:00 PM
I have done the test on concrete and have a fairly good catalogue of paint types. You must make sure that you do not handle the paint very much. When you get your 10 ball sample put it in a pretty good container and make sure the you don't handle them much. I have seen the bounces go up rapidly after handeling them just a matter of 10 seconds.

Riooso

Blazestorm
06-30-2004, 12:32 AM
I had rec-sport at a field that would break from 3-4 feet.

Was 0 bounce paint, and it shot decent, didn't break in my gun nor barrel, broke on everyone I shot it at... was pretty cool :D

Only bad part was it was black shell with white fill... :o