PDA

View Full Version : Massive Leak Out Fill Nipple

Mole1119
07-01-2004, 07:15 AM
The original fill nipple on my 68/3000 ACI Bulldog (5 years old) had a slow leak. I replaced it at my local shop with a brand new one and had the tank filled. When I go play the next weekend and try and fill my tank it would not hold any pressure the air just gushed out the nipple. I replace the fill nipple again with a brand new one it works great for the rest of the day. The next time playing same problem the fill nipple will not hold any pressure. Any ideas on why I cant get a fill nipple to work on my tank for more than a day or two.

Snowball
07-01-2004, 07:32 AM
i have the same problem with my max flo....

GA Devil
07-01-2004, 07:42 AM
sounds like your getting alot of dirt in the fill nipple and when u air it up it sticks it open. Take a allen or somethign when it leaks and push in the nipple then release and see if that stops it from leaking. Also take a look at your orings on the fill nipples u have taken out to see if their messed up at all. U may be buyiung bad fill nipples.

Mole1119
07-01-2004, 07:59 AM
I have been using nipple covers so i dont think it is an issue with dirt

silentdeath55
07-01-2004, 08:21 AM
You need to replace the tiny little o-ring that goes on the fill nipple. They are pretty tough to get on, so good luck. My old tank did this and I replaces the o-ring on the fill nipple and it worked good-as-new. If this doesn't work, take the reg apart (if the tank permits) and grease it up real good.

GA Devil
07-01-2004, 10:48 AM
you can get dirt in thru your fill. Not just on the field. I just pulled my angel apart to service it and there was a huge amount of dirt in the reg.

silentdeath55
07-01-2004, 12:52 PM
The dirt is just from the air running through it. Compressed air is not "clean" by any means.

P8ntBallBoom
07-01-2004, 11:10 PM
Well, SCUBA air should be clean. I would hope they wouldnt let you breathe dirt. I use SCUBA.

Mole1119
07-02-2004, 06:38 AM
Well after about an hour of working on fixing the fill nipple at my local store the problem has been determined. What is happening is tapped part of the regulator is to deep for the fill nipple. When the air is being filled the plunger is moving out until it hits the bottom of the tapped hole in the regulator. The plunger has to move so much that the whole oring basically moves totally out out of the fill nipple and when the fill is stopped and the plunger tries to move back into the fill nipple to seal the oring is getting pinched and comming partially off creating the massive leak. I thought of a fix but would like other peoples opinions on the idea. I would like to place a small washer into the tapped hole in the regulator then screw the fill nipple in over top of it that way it will reduce the distance the plunger is traveling so that the oring doesn't toally come out of the nipple and when it moves back to seal wont get pinched. Anything wrong with this idea or any dangers that i am not thinking of.

RTC_LoKi
07-02-2004, 06:47 AM
eek that sounds messed up :tard:

Mole1119
07-02-2004, 09:33 AM
i just dont want to buy a whole new hpa system

P8ntBallBoom
07-02-2004, 11:33 AM
Well, a washer would work. I am not sure how it works exactly, but I think an O-ring would be more safe. I cant really think of anything being wrong with putting something in there. But maybe you might want to just find a longer fill nipple if they exist.

Mole1119
07-02-2004, 01:02 PM
it would still have the oring it would just not let the plunger with the oring on it move as much.

P8ntBallBoom
07-02-2004, 04:26 PM
it would still have the oring it would just not let the plunger with the oring on it move as much.

What oring eould it still have? I'm confused as to what you are talking about. All I suggested was to drop an oring in the hole rather than the washer. An oring would be thicker and allow less movement.

Mole1119
07-02-2004, 04:41 PM
i got ya now that is a good idea i will give it a shot if this new fill nipple breaks again