PDA

View Full Version : What features would you want in a Paintball Scheduler program.

lopxtc
07-01-2004, 02:08 PM
Okay after getting tired of delays in play caused by bad scheduling (and a desire to learn more about Java), I have decided to sit down and try my hand at writing a tournament scheduling program. So far at the moment I have figured in the following;

Take a user inputed list of team names and skill level they are playing in.
Create a list of team vs team for single and multiple fields, sorted also by skill level.
Make sure no team has back to back rounds of play.
Make sure no teams faces another team more then once without at least facing all other teams.
Make sure no team faces a team of X amount of skill level higher or lower then they are. (Based on tournament structure. I believe in some you will face higher/lower level skill teams.)
Be able to place buys in the case of odd number of teams, along with ensuring no team gets more then one buy.
Generate a printable roster and score sheets with team names in-place already. (Thinking generating XML that can be exported to HTML)
Placing times on each round allowing for so many mins in-between rounds.
Some other stuff.
Graphical interface of some kind.

What kind of other features do you think would be important to the tourney operator

If this works and passes a good live test, I plan on releasing this to the paintball world for free as an open source project.

Aaron

ramennoodles
07-01-2004, 03:16 PM
that sounds awesome man.

WenULiVeUdiE
07-01-2004, 03:41 PM
Go to your local field and ask the person who runs tournies. They could like the idea enough to pay you for it. Good luck, it sounds awesome.

The Spanish Inquisition
07-01-2004, 05:00 PM
sounds like a php job.

GoatBoy
07-01-2004, 06:26 PM
sounds like a php job.

Yeah, if you're a webmonkey.

lopxtc: I don't know if you're into Python, but I've used a constraint solver module in python which might be great for something like this. You have to learn the language of constraint solving, but it's not too bad.

lopxtc
07-01-2004, 07:06 PM
Honestly I am not going to ask for money if this works ... if it works I will have it for free from my website for any one that wants it.

Spanish Inq -- I was originally going to do it in php, but changed my mind once I decided that I would make it for anyone and not just my friends field. Instead of using PHP and requiring a person to be running a webserver I decided on Java for its compile and run on any platform portability.

Goatboy -- Yeah not a fan of python myself, but it was also in the running for a possible language to write it in. I actually settled on Java for the main reason of I need to learn a little more about Java then I do.

Thanks for the input for far guys ... I will keep you all posted on its progress.

Aaron