PDA

View Full Version : Good places to play in Ireland plus near London and Glasgow?

TheTramp
07-01-2004, 02:41 PM
I'm going to be in Ireland (back and forth bewtween Gallway and Dublin), London, and Glasgow in August and I'm looking to play some paintball at least once while I'm over there. :D

Can anyone give me some pointers on where to go? I found this site near Glasgow but obviously I don't know anything about it. I can't even tell if I can bring my own equipment. :confused:

http://www.skirmishscotland.co.uk/html/glasgow_site.html

Any help from you guys across the pond would be great!

These are the aproximate dates:
Ireland 8/6-8/12
London 8/13-8/16
Glasgow 8/16-8/20

RKL
07-01-2004, 09:41 PM
While living in the UK, I looked into playing in Ireland while over on a vacation. Contacted the Irish Authorities on bringing over kit. Eventually, got a reply from the Irish Justice Dept stating that PBall markers require permits so you'll be renting. (Check my old posts, I think I quoted the words I got).

Irish Fields - Found two in Ireland using Google though I can't remember the Locations. Contact Escaramouche (http://www.escarmouche.com/). Nice group of lads who play in the Millenium Series. They should be able to point you to fields in your locations.

London - Get onto the Forums at http://www.p8ntballer-forums.com/vb/index.php. You'll be flooded with opinions. Try finding a field that does Walk-on (ie Players with own kit) though timing may force you into playing with day trippers. Not a lot of play on weekdays and Sunday is the day of choice for rec-play.

Glasgow - Careful bringing kit. I played in Edinburgh about 6 years ago and brought a CO2 powered PGP. The field was concerned since they'd had all their kit confiscated by the local Firearms Control in the Police Dept. They went HPA, bought one marker, got a ruling in writing and had multiple copies laminated and posted through out the site.

Save yourself the hassle. Use a field rental. BTW, bring scads of cash since "punters" pay big money in paint costs (especially when you add in the exchange)

Have fun. Manike would know a lot more if he hasn't gone totally "Yank"
:D

Cheers, eh
Bob
The Canadian formerly hiding in Bath

TheTramp
07-02-2004, 08:47 AM
Save yourself the hassle. Use a field rental. BTW, bring scads of cash since "punters" pay big money in paint costs (especially when you add in the exchange)

At least one of the fields I found looks like they use HPA on their rentals. I think I'll probably just leave my kit at home and use what ever they're renting.

The paint prices look to be 6.50 to 10 pounds per 100 balls. That's going on $200-$300 per case! :eek:

Ewan
07-02-2004, 10:24 AM
I live in the U.K. and I'm a marshal at a site.
Most paintball over here is just ppl playin rec ball for the first (and usually only) time.
Most fields will only let you use the site guns (usually infernos or tippmann 98's) and there own paint which is abismal quality for around $11 a hundred or $180 a case.
You really need to e-mail sites about own equipment and walk on days as most of the time they don't advertise these things.
This website is very usefull
http://www.ukpsf.com/paintballsites.htm
Be prepared for a big change from PB in the US, both in price and type of field.
As far as kit is concerned you shouldn't have any trouble getting your gun into the U.K. (not sure about Ireland) as long as its not in hand luggage and you dont take any co2 or air tanks (the site should provide these).
The law says that you can transport your gun around as long as its without propellant and ammunition and you keep it out of site in public places.
Also be aware that most sites only use co2 so if your gun is HPA you might be disapointed (again your best e-mailing them).
I know that skirmish in Billericay, near london use automags on air as there site guns so if you don't take your gun this may be a good bet. (by the way thats not where I marshal, I've never even been to the site, I just know they use mags)
Hope I've been helpful.
Ewan

RKL
07-02-2004, 09:54 PM
If you take your kit over, it is likely you'll have a hassle with HPA fills in a DOT tank. The New EU standard adopted by the UK is "Pi" (as in the Greek letter) tanks. The old British tanks marked HSE are still valid also.

Unless you have an Angel Air system, (Dual DOT and HSE registered), your American DOT is illegal for anyone including you to fill :nono:

This crops up all the time at the Millenium Series tourneys especially in the UK venue. Check the forums at P8ntballer (given in my previous post) for a series of threads on this.

Cheers, eh

Bob