PDA

View Full Version : ULT Thinner Shims = Lighter Trigger?

Tim Taylor
07-05-2004, 04:40 PM
If I were to use shims that were Less than .005" would i be able to make the trigger lighter? LX RT Valve with 3 shims in the ULT I get a nice feel to the trigger but lighter is better. With 4 shims I get a leak. I was wondering if I were to put in shims that were maybe between .002" to .003" would that make a difference or are we pretty much working with .005" tolerances?

logicmag19
07-05-2004, 04:59 PM
I don't know about that. Good question though. I'm guessing since they're even thinner you can get just up to the amount of 4 sims with a few smaller shims. Try it and tell me because I'll go buy some smaller shims to make my pull lighter!

athomas
07-06-2004, 08:38 AM
The trigger will not get "lighter". It may get more crisp. Adding shims shortens the distance between the on/off and the releasing of the sear. If 3 shims works and 4 shims leaks, then a shim thickness less than .005" could get you closer to the "edge". I highly doubt you could feel the difference in that small a difference though, plus any wear or movement could cause inconsistencies. Also, a shim less than .005" would be very thin and more prone to damage while installing.