PDA

View Full Version : wow... just... Wow

The Action Figure
07-05-2004, 06:00 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=10554&item=3684415378&rd=1#ebayphotohosting

worst rippoff ever

RRfireblade
07-05-2004, 06:04 PM
Only if you can't read. ;)

punkncat
07-05-2004, 06:05 PM
That reminds me of a test I took in 8th grade. The instructions said to read the entire test before answering any question. When you get to the end of the 200 question test it states to write your name and date , but not to answer any question.

If someone is stoopid :tard: enough to bid on that , be it a good life lesson to them!

The Action Figure
07-05-2004, 06:09 PM
almost 200 for a box and a few parts though!

t33kyboy
07-05-2004, 07:04 PM
that is pure genious.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3686916532

my ebay scams are not doing to well, maybe i should actually start giving items to them.

BeaverEater
07-05-2004, 07:11 PM
Funny thing is there are a lot of stupid people out there, look at all the bids he got.

t33kyboy
07-05-2004, 07:18 PM
and i need those stupid people to bid on my auction! :dance:

coolcatpete
07-05-2004, 07:59 PM
Man I wish I had a impulse box.
Pete

68magOwner
07-05-2004, 08:13 PM
i think its funny that you can make alot more money on ebay selling practically nothing than you can trying ot sell an actual marker

FortySix&2
07-05-2004, 08:23 PM
ha, maybe I'll try that with my Alias box...

afultz075
07-05-2004, 08:26 PM
Maybe they thought it was a way of wording the gun, I mean, Imps are pretty boxy-looking guns afterall.

Bad_Dog
07-05-2004, 08:30 PM
hmmmm

anyone wanna buy an X-mag box for $100? :p

Thermus
07-05-2004, 09:29 PM
The dude won't pay for it.

the larch
07-05-2004, 09:44 PM
that is pure genious.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3686916532

my ebay scams are not doing to well, maybe i should actually start giving items to them.
Guess I would think twice about dealing with you now. :rolleyes:

Destructo6
07-05-2004, 10:11 PM
BRAND NEW SMARTPARTS IMPUSLE BOX!!!COMES WITH:

Tapeworm

Progressive Barrel

Alan-Keys
I don't think Alan Keyes would like to be sold.

http://electronicintifada.net/features/articles/images/alankeyes.jpg

coolcatpete
07-05-2004, 10:12 PM
Guess I would think twice about dealing with you now. :rolleyes:
yeah but his are plain as day and everybody sees that, the price is $1.25 on it he is probally loosing money.

ully customized Ripper cocker: Ripper body kit ($400 alone, Shocktech bolt, Freak barrel w/ 12" AA front, Dye rocket LPR, Dye rocket ram, Black magic reg, Twisted cocking rod, Worrblade, Freeflow internals, Custom ano done by MaxAnodizing. Note: You are bidding on a picture of this cocker, no marker. This is one of the sexiest markers I have ever owned, now I let you share the experience. Auction winner will be emailed the picture of the gun.
Pete

coolcatpete
07-05-2004, 10:13 PM

http://electronicintifada.net/features/articles/images/alankeyes.jpg
Thats great.
Pete

SpecialBlend2786
07-06-2004, 01:57 AM
$197.50.............

wow

I've lost all respect for the human race :cry:

Jack_Dubious
07-06-2004, 05:09 PM

:rofl:
That was comedy gold.

:hail: :hail:

JDub

xXHavokXx
07-06-2004, 05:12 PM
I had thought of doing the Alan Keys thing too....drats always too late.

gibby
07-06-2004, 05:17 PM
LOLOL!! That reminds me of the ebay auction for a Sony PS2 box when PS2 was a hot item to buy. Sucks to be illiterate! :nono:

t33kyboy
07-06-2004, 05:20 PM
My auction had been closed after 12 hours or so. That joke totally back fired...

it was a copy of this auction (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=16048&item=3685473788&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW). Which is another example of a rip off.

PaintballSmurf13
07-06-2004, 11:37 PM
dude that is SO funny, omg. :rofl: Well it will teach em to read things carefully. :nono:
-Ryan

sbpyro
07-07-2004, 10:32 AM
I knew someone who won a bid for a picture of a PS2. He payed over $300 for it and was gonna sell it for 500 when he recieved it. Lets just say his greed made it so much more funny.

rkjunior303
07-07-2004, 10:42 AM
that's pure genious.. shame on any @sshat that falls for it.... more power to him if he gets away with it.

WARPED1
07-07-2004, 01:26 PM
Not a ripoff at all, he clearly states whats for sale, he even says "read carefully, I don't do refunds or returns".

Linkwarner
07-07-2004, 01:48 PM
cant.....stop.....laughing.....so funny and yet so shrewd..... :rofl:
I just have to big of a heart to do any thing like that.

scarpa43
07-07-2004, 01:49 PM
What I find even more interesting is that on the Impulse box auction, the buyer left positve feedback for the seller with the below comment.

"honest and understanding. good seller to deal with."

The seller left the following neutral feedback for the buyer on this auction.
He must have felt guilty about charging a kid for just a box, other wise he would have left negative feedback?

"good to deal with. a little young for ebay..but doesnt follow up his payment"

Jaremy Rykker
07-07-2004, 01:52 PM
Nah. I hate the people who try to pull that sort of crap. Even if its not me who takes the boot. What? $350 for a picture of a Timmy? $180 for a box with a barrel and some alan keys? I really dislike that. Only once in the entire thing does he mention that there is no gun.

Alas, what is the world coming to these days. :spit_take

Jeffy-CanCon
07-07-2004, 03:05 PM
"caveat emptor"

While I'd discourage any friend of mine from setting up such an auction, and I understand eBay's position in closing them, I have no sympathy for the buyers. All of these tricky auctions I have seen have clearly stated somewhere in the description that they are only selling a poster, an image, or a box. You snooze, you lose.

desslock
07-07-2004, 03:41 PM
Question:

How many animals did Moses take on the ark with him?

Cheeseball24
07-07-2004, 03:53 PM
Question:

How many animals did Moses take on the ark with him?

none. noah built the ark. thats old lol

desslock
07-07-2004, 04:19 PM
good job cheeseball a lot of people start trying to count off animals 2x2 in their head. That was the 1st question on a hunters saftey course.

the larch
07-07-2004, 06:31 PM
unethical and immoral.
In these auctions the seller is intentionally misleading buyers.
the devil doesn't lie, he decieves. The phrase "buyer beware" is a safeguard for the buyer, not a license for a deceptive seller.
For those of you who think this is "brilliant" I want you to imagine having a 13 year old son who saved his money up for a long time so that he could play paintball and got an empty box because some moron thought it would be cool to get a quick dishonest buck.
You can rationalize it however you want, but we know the truth, the seller is trying to screw a buyer. When you cut to the chase, its just wrong.

Chicago Pb 7
07-07-2004, 06:51 PM
unethical and immoral.
In these auctions the seller is intentionally misleading buyers.
the devil doesn't lie, he decieves. The phrase "buyer beware" is a safeguard for the buyer, not a license for a deceptive seller.
For those of you who think this is "brilliant" I want you to imagine having a 13 year old son who saved his money up for a long time so that he could play paintball and got an empty box because some moron thought it would be cool to get a quick dishonest buck.
You can rationalize it however you want, but we know the truth, the seller is trying to screw a buyer. When you cut to the chase, its just wrong.

Larch, I agree with you on some points, but I'm 15 and before I bought my marker I did extensive research about the marker itself and where I'm purchasing it from, if that 13 year old kid couldn't at least read the whole description about what he is buying then chances are that they are not ready to have a marker.

the larch
07-07-2004, 08:15 PM
but, justifying your actions by saying the buyer deserved it doesn't change what YOU have done. Saying that some how, a buyer's shortcomings justify your actions to take his money is absurd. You do not hold a victim accountable for the crime.
The seller is intentionally decieving the buyer. Whether or not the victim deserves it has nothing to do with the seller's accountabilty or his/hers responsibility for the action.
Leaving hundred dollar bills on my open window sill instead of in safe is STUPID, but it doesn't change the crime when someone steals it. ;)

Chicago Pb 7
07-07-2004, 09:13 PM
Ya, thats true but people just have to be more careful now.

spyder_technician
07-07-2004, 09:29 PM
I don't know what you guys are complaining about. The kid got a lot with that Impy box, even if he didn't get the gun. I only wonder how that guy managed to get Alan Keyes into that little tiny box...

On a more serious note, it sounds like the kid didn't get screwed after all. Am I right? I would do something like this, but I'm too much of a softie. If I did do something like this, I would send the kid his money back along with a strict warning. I might even send a letter addressed to his parents... nah, I'm not that much of a hard@$$.

FallNAngel
07-07-2004, 09:55 PM
but, justifying your actions by saying the buyer deserved it doesn't change what YOU have done.

Which is what? Clearly describe in detail what was being sold? It's the buyers job to read the auction and understand what they're bidding on. If the buyer wants to read a few bullets then skip the paragraph that has further details, then that's the buyers fault, not the sellers.

Saying that some how, a buyer's shortcomings justify your actions to take his money is absurd. You do not hold a victim accountable for the crime.

Yes, but how is the buyer a "victim"? Had the buyer actually read the auction, it wouldn't have happened. Unsure about what's being sold? Send an e-mail and ask or don't bid.

Whether or not the victim deserves it has nothing to do with the seller's accountabilty or his/hers responsibility for the action.

So because the buyer is too lazy to read and understand the contract that they're entering, it's the sellers fault now? How does that work again?

As far as the stealing from a 13 year old comment, you have to be 18 or older to register on eBay.

Destructo6
07-07-2004, 10:28 PM
So because the buyer is too lazy to read and understand the contract that they're entering, it's the sellers fault now? How does that work again?
So, if a software manufacturer inserted "And I agree to send all of my personal earnings to xxx corp from this day forth." into the middle of their EULA, do you suppose you would be bound to the agreement? After all, it was there in black and white and you did agree to it.

This guy's feedback, as well as the auction, indicates he's a schister. Looks like some shill bidding, too.

toolfan62
07-07-2004, 10:30 PM
good job t33kboy..i dont know why u all gotta hate..if the ppl r dumb enough to pay for somethin that cleary states its a pic..then they deserve it..

AR55 MtM
07-07-2004, 10:42 PM
I wish I had an Alan key :(

the larch
07-08-2004, 05:32 AM
Yes, if you leave your marker laying were someone can get ahold of it you deserve to get it stolen.
If your sister wears a short skirt, she deserves to get raped.
Your kidding right?
Fallnangel:
I think you are missing my point. The stupidity of the victim doesn't change the crime.
Either:
A. you believe the seller is being honest.
B. You believe the seller is deliberately trying to deceive.
that is the only real question as to weither or not the seller is wrong.
To most of us, it is pretty obvious that the seller is trying to deceive people. Deception for profit is immoral and unethical.

destructo06. I love your point btw.

FallNAngel
07-08-2004, 01:20 PM
So, if a software manufacturer inserted "And I agree to send all of my personal earnings to xxx corp from this day forth." into the middle of their EULA, do you suppose you would be bound to the agreement? After all, it was there in black and white and you did agree to it.

This guy's feedback, as well as the auction, indicates he's a schister. Looks like some shill bidding, too.

By law, yes, I do believe I would be bound to that agreement. I should've read what I was agreeing to before I said yes.

Yes, if you leave your marker laying were someone can get ahold of it you deserve to get it stolen.

Deserve to get it stolen? No. It has nothing whether you *deserve* to get it stolen. Much the same though, you have no excuse if/when it does get stolen.

If your sister wears a short skirt, she deserves to get raped.

This just plain doesn't apply here. She's not walking around with a short skirt that says "rape me" then complaining about it. Much like the people reading the auctions, they choose to believe what they want to believe. The auctions are very clear on what they're selling. In all of them it says "only a picture, not the real marker", etc. Now if the seller chooses to read past that, that is their fault whether you choose to believe so or not.

I think you are missing my point. The stupidity of the victim doesn't change the crime.
Either:
A. you believe the seller is being honest.
B. You believe the seller is deliberately trying to deceive.
that is the only real question as to weither or not the seller is wrong.
To most of us, it is pretty obvious that the seller is trying to deceive people. Deception for profit is immoral and unethical.

No, I fully understand your point, I just happen to disagree with it. You say deception for profit is immoral and unethical, which I agree with. I just do not believe the seller is being deceptive. He's not trying to make the buyer believe he's selling something he isn't, it clearly says he's selling the box and the parts inside. No where does it say anything at all about the marker. Hell, eBay won't even do anything. Why? Not because they're "lame" or "lazy", it's because it was plainly stated in the auction what was being sold. Buyer beware directly applies here. Read the auction and understand what you're bidding on. If you don't, you have no right to complain when things go wrong.

Destructo6
07-08-2004, 02:30 PM
By law, yes, I do believe I would be bound to that agreement. I should've read what I was agreeing to before I said yes.
"Reason" is the basis for all laws, crimes, etc. If reason, not legalese, tells you that such a EULA is valid, you need to try again.

Deserve to get it stolen? No. It has nothing whether you *deserve* to get it stolen. Much the same though, you have no excuse if/when it does get stolen.
No, you are missing the point. The thief's actions are completely independant of the victim's. The victim may have neglected to safegaurd his belongings, but that in no way mitigates the act of theft. Actor A took what is not his: that's the only consideration.

Chris42050
07-08-2004, 03:03 PM
This world is full of people tryin to get one over on people. Get over it and get smart. Just take this as a lesson. People are gonna do this stuff no matter what. Steal your gun, deceive you on a sale, whatever. It's called greed. Just accept it for what it is and move on and whatch your arse, cause it could happen to you.

FallNAngel
07-08-2004, 04:30 PM
"Reason" is the basis for all laws, crimes, etc. If reason, not legalese, tells you that such a EULA is valid, you need to try again.

What do you mean I have to try again?

No, you are missing the point. The thief's actions are completely independant of the victim's. The victim may have neglected to safegaurd his belongings, but that in no way mitigates the act of theft. Actor A took what is not his: that's the only consideration.

No, they are not independant of the victims. Are you saying that had the person brought the marker with them instead of leaving it behind the theif still would have taken it? I'm not trying to justify the theifs actions here. I'm not saying it's OK for the theif to steal because the person should've brought the marker with them. That's not what I'm saying at all. Nor am I saying the actor deserved to have their marker stolen. I'm saying it could have been prevented had the actor brought their marker with them. Just as these people who find they bid on a picture could have prevented their disappointment had they actually taken the time to read the auction.

I don't know about you, but if I'm going to bid on something for $200, you can bet your *** I'll know what I'm bidding on. Unfortunately, as I said before, too many people read the auction and think what they want to think instead of what the auction really says.

the larch
07-08-2004, 05:03 PM
FallnAngel, quote and answer this.
Yes, or no, these auctions are designed to find an ebay novice and sell them something different than what they think they are getting.

If, NO, and you believe that the sellers are truly trying to be honest and not "put one over" on someone, then there is no point in conversation.
If, Yes, then you have to agree that their actions, which set out to deceive are an ethical disgrace to the sport of paintball.

Also, the preventability of a crime has no bearing on the justification of commtting the crime.

The people who set up these auctions, know quite well that in the entire world, they may very likely find a person who doesn't have the current facilities to understand the entire auction. They know that if they word things a certain way, they can dupe someone into paying ALOT for a very little because they think they are getting something else. It IS a misrepresentation of a sort and it IS unethical.
What if dominoes advertised a "$3.99 large pepperoni pizza " and you ordered it and got a 3 inch pizza with one large piece of pepperoni on it? Would it be your fault because you didn't clearly read the ad? After all, you did get a large pepperoni and it is a pizza, right?

FallNAngel
07-08-2004, 05:43 PM
Before I get into this, I just want to say I'm not trying to argue Larch. Just having a debate, not trying to start a flame war or get anyone riled up over this. If you feel otherwise, let's both just drop it, because that's not where I want to go with this. :) Having said that...

FallnAngel, quote and answer this.
Yes, or no, these auctions are designed to find an ebay novice and sell them something different than what they think they are getting.

Kinda hard to answer that as I go both ways on this. Just humor me and keep reading (;))I'm going by the auction listed in the first post of this thread. That auction (as I've said before) says nothing about the marker. I don't see how someone could possibly read that entire auction and think they were getting a gun when it says several times in both the title and auction that it's the box. Now I've seen auctions that talk about the marker, it's specs, etc and in the corner in tiny font it says that you're bidding on a picture, not the marker itself. That I do agree is trying to deceive someone. This auction in particular though is in absolutely no way trying to deceive anyone.

Also, the preventability of a crime has no bearing on the justification of commtting the crime.

I agree. As I said before though, I think the thing is, you think a crime (of sorts) has been committed here (immoral representation of product, etc). I do not. I'm not trying to argue that the seller is justified in his crime, I'm saying the seller hasn't commited one in the first place.

The people who set up these auctions, know quite well that in the entire world, they may very likely find a person who doesn't have the current facilities to understand the entire auction. They know that if they word things a certain way, they can dupe someone into paying ALOT for a very little because they think they are getting something else. It IS a misrepresentation of a sort and it IS unethical.

Misrepresentation? How so? It says he's selling a BOX. Had he not said box, I'd absolutely agree with you and that it would be misrepresentation. As it is though, it clearly and PLAINLY says it's for a box. Tieing this in with your example below, what if it was advertised as "$3.99 3" large pepperoni pizza" and you got a 3" pizza with a piece of pepperoni on it... would you feel ripped off? I'm sure you would.. personally, I look at that and see they're selling a 3" pizza with pepperoni for 4 bucks.

What if dominoes advertised a "$3.99 large pepperoni pizza " and you ordered it and got a 3 inch pizza with one large piece of pepperoni on it? Would it be your fault because you didn't clearly read the ad? After all, you did get a large pepperoni and it is a pizza, right?

A) Read the paragraph above if you haven't already
B) This depends. Did the ad say it was 3" pizza? If not, then no, it wouldn't be my fault. Much the same as if the auction didn't say it was for a photo and that's what the buyer got.

the larch
07-08-2004, 08:27 PM
no, not a flame, a debate, of course.
What I was pointing out in my analogy with the 3 inch pizza, is that people do make certain assumptions when they read an advertisment. How an advertisment is created can enforce those assumptions. in the ad "3.99 Large Pepperoni Pizza" the assumption is that the word large applies to the pizza, and not the topping.....that is an assumption. If a pizza parlor were to prey on that assumption, they could pretty much give you any size pizza they want, as long as the pepperoni was "large"
In the ebay auction at the beginning of this thread, the auctioneer is preying on the assumptions that "ebay newbies" would make reading the auction.
Let me point out some things
1.the title is "SMART PARTS IMPULSE, BRAND NEW BOX!!! not dye, angel" I assert that he is assuming that some people are not going to notice that the word "in" is missing from between the words "new" and "box"
2.his first line of description is "BRAND NEW SMARTPARTS IMPUSLE BOX!!!COMES WITH"
in the auction he underlines "smartparts impusle" but not the word box. He misspells impulse to take the readers attention away from the fact that once again the word "in" is missing.
3. he adds several "revisions" to his auction to confuse the matter with different text sizes and add ons to get people bidding.
4. his statement "Read the description carefully before purchase is made, i do not do returns or refunds. By purchasing this item. You agree to the above statement. Thank you and HAPPY BIDDING ;) !! " Anyone who is selling something for an honest price doesn't need this statement.
5. Nowhere in the auction does he say, "there is no marker for sale, it is just the box."
6. He updated this auction several times. He obviously received several emails. I find it doubtful that he wasn't asked several times if there was a marker in the box. He never updated to say there was no marker.
Simply put, these things make me believe that he knew what he was doing, and planned to send someone a box when they expected a marker.
Please remember, you are intelligent, you do not represent the majority of the people out there. To read this auction from the perspective of someone who "thinks" it is obvious.
What I ask you to do, is go find a couple of junior high kids who are new to paintball, put this auction in with about ten others that are selling markers, and ask them what is for sale in this auction. Think about it.

edited:
As an afterthought, I let my wife read the auction. She has been around paintball and ebay but not alot. She also has a bachelors degree and works for the State in the Department of Juvenile Justice. She didn't realize it was just the box until I pointed it out. Now she's pissed as "gosh darn" It's all a matter or perspective and experience and the seller knows this.

Destructo6
07-08-2004, 09:47 PM
What do you mean I have to try again?
Try thinking again. Was that not clear? Such an EULA as described would be just as legitimate as this auction: that is, not at all.

warbeak2099
07-08-2004, 10:03 PM
Wow, the impulse guy is making about a $60 profit. The parts he's including are about $140 new. The timmy one is the best though. $381 profit since he didn't have to spend a cent on parts/accesories. Power to the con-artists. A 13yr old shouldn't be shopping on ebay alone anyway. And if his/her parents are involved in the purchase, shame on them for being too naive/ignorant to protect their child.

anarchistwar
07-09-2004, 12:43 AM
Only if you can't read. ;)

apparently there are 21 people who can't read.... :cry:

FallNAngel
07-09-2004, 03:00 AM
Larch: Well I'm not sure either of us are really going to agree with the other. This isn't to say I don't understand where you're coming from, trust me I do. I think both of us just have different opinions or outlooks on these types of auctions. If you want to continue debating this, I'm all for it. If not, thanks for having an intelligent debate and not dragging this to a flame war :cheers:

the larch
07-09-2004, 05:22 AM
Probably should end it. From here on out, people are going to come in and start making statements without actually reading the posts. ( we have been rather long winded).
catch ya next time.