PDA

View Full Version : Barrel Paint Matching

HyperSnyper
10-16-2001, 04:21 AM
Hey guys,
I know we've been over this topic over and over, but it just got recently brought up by my friends and I.

We were arguing over the correct way to match barrel to paint. As what I have learned from my store, online, and asking nosy questions when buying over the phone, I learned that the paintball must be able to go through the paint rather easily. To the point where you can blow the ball oubt without significant strain.

Im not exactly the "Big Bad Wolf" to huff and puff and blow my Paintballs out, but with a nice gust of breath, I can fly the paint out.

My friend showed me articles online saying that it shoulnt be that easy, that infact if its that easy, that it wont be getting the air tight seal between the ball and barrel that it should be getting.

My friend shoots Marballizer out of a 0.684 Boomstick Barrel. I guess its a LOCKOUT series since it has it engraved on the stainless section. When he matches the paint in the barrel, Neither I or he cant blow it out. We have to really press it in there. It slides on in, but feels (me personally) like there may be a lil too much friction. I got it stuck half way down and had to push it out with a mechanical pencil (no lead point). I ended up stabbing the ball and leaving a mess.

Do you think the ball is too big? Online in the Frak Barrel tests, they claimed that a very snug fit is the way to go which will give a nice seal, and that blowing the ball out means its too loose.

Can everyone give their $0.02? AGD? Moderators? How do you guys match it? Thanx in advance.

-HyperSnyper

a_malfunction
10-16-2001, 11:33 AM
I would just shoot a few rounds though your barrel. If it shoots well, play with it.... if not, try something different.

e21bgl
10-16-2001, 11:38 AM
up.......

MajorDamage
10-16-2001, 01:46 PM
Yes you are right! The blowing through the barrel test works. The owner of my field(who is on a tourney team*WOWZA*) showed me this, and it works great. You want it not so small that it tries to roll away, but not so big that it just sits there and you have to play paintball-shiskabob with it! Ive had that happen too! Recently I got a Team Colors paintball stuck in my J&J Ceramic(Medium paint, small bore barrel). I had to push it out with a squeegee, and when it came out THERE WAS A PAINTY MESS! hehe. I had to wash the barrel out. But yeah, tell your buddy that he's wrong, that MajorDamage says so, and he's smarter than the average bear!

ENDO!

Thordic
10-16-2001, 01:59 PM
Everything I have seen from reliable sources says the paint shouldn't roll out of the barrel but should be easy to blow out of the barrel.

So you should be able to put the ball in there without it rolling down the barrel by itself, but if you blow on the barrel, the ball should pop right out.

If you look at Tom's Tech Tips, you'll see that the paintball will travel down the barrel with only the seams touching the barrel usually. Thats the proper amount of contact.

If the ball is jammed in there tightly, then you can bet the whole ball is touching the barrel on the way down, which means that your paint to barrel match sucks :)

Tunaman
10-16-2001, 06:08 PM
It is better to have it a little loose, than to have it too tight. You need a little room for the ball to distort.