PDA

View Full Version : Dnagers of using an out of hydro tank?

ramenjames
07-06-2004, 08:23 PM
thats about it

what are the dangers of it?

if the tank is in perfect condition then what?

what if it is only a year out of hydro>?

it wouldnt explode would it?

Skoad
07-06-2004, 08:27 PM
well first of all your field or store is not allowed to fill it, even if its out of hydro 1 day.

Any tank can "explode", what do you think the reason for hydro testing is? To check and make sure there are no defects/damages so it DOESN'T explode.

Pay the 25 bucks and get it tested

ramenjames
07-06-2004, 08:30 PM
im going to

but i was just wondering for curiositys sake

.....scuba shops hydrotest right?

Won Hunglo
07-06-2004, 08:33 PM
Prison time. If the tank fails & injures someone you will face charges for criminal negligence. The DOT is not a department you want to miss with. Still want to save 20 bucks & have a special cell mate you have to call daddy? Who is your daddy? :dance: Who is your daddy? :dance: Who is your daddy? :dance: Who is your daddy? :dance: Who is your daddy? :dance: Who is your daddy? :dance:

gc82000
07-06-2004, 08:33 PM
Whoa you have to pay $25 to get your tank tested. On Guam it is only 7 to get hydroed and three to get Vipped. Dang I guess MO is not that big on Scuba.

Skoad
07-06-2004, 08:44 PM
price all depends on where you get it hydro'd.

Scuba shops should be able to hydro it, if not in house they will send it somewhere for you. Make sure to ask them if they will take off and put back on the reg. Some places charge extra to do that.

Muzikman
07-06-2004, 08:47 PM
thats about it

Simple one word answer:

what are the dangers of it? - DEATH

68magOwner
07-06-2004, 08:49 PM
they charge $45 here!!!!! thats why i ship mine out to get it tested, even with shipping its cheaper

Lohman446
07-06-2004, 08:55 PM
Simple one word answer:

what are the dangers of it? - DEATH

Agreed - yours or someone elses... these are things that hold a tremendous amount of energy inches from your head, why would you question it. And if it was someone elses, you would be CRIMINALLY liable for at least negligent homicide

GotMag?
07-06-2004, 08:55 PM
my steel tank doesnt have a hydro thing on it. should i test it or what? do i just never have to test it?

Lohman446
07-06-2004, 08:58 PM
my steel tank doesnt have a hydro thing on it. should i test it or what? do i just never have to test it?

I beleive the rule is, if there are no markings on it (there should be something though about manufacture date in the steel itself if I recall) it is considered out...

Muzikman
07-06-2004, 09:04 PM
On steel tanks it should stamped on the bottom of the tank. Also, I can not remember for sure, but I think steel tanks need hydroed ever 3 years just like most other HPA tanks. A lot of newer fiber tanks need hydroed every 5 years and any CO2 tank over 2" in diameter needs hydroed every 5 years.

Steelrat
07-06-2004, 09:07 PM
thats about it

http://shiro.wustl.edu/research/demorest/explosion.jpg

Skoad
07-06-2004, 09:26 PM
more like
http://www.automags.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=36327&stc=1
I would love for my tank to do that when its next to my face!

Blazestorm
07-06-2004, 09:44 PM
If you've been filling the tank regularly and using it, I highly doubt it's going to randomly explode the second it's out of hydro.

Some people are overreacting, but yes it's better to hydro it then that.

And you do realize that when you hydro a tank you're pushing it to 150% of it's working pressure? :p

The Spanish Inquisition
07-06-2004, 09:56 PM
Donald Rumsfeld come to your house and beats you senseless.

riooso
07-06-2004, 10:08 PM
Play the stats. There is still a chance with a new tank that it will explode! So lets see, put your cheek every so lightly on the 3000 pound bomb and pretend it can't happen to me, all for the price of a case of paint.

What state do you live in?

Riooso

Chojin Man
07-06-2004, 10:27 PM
more like

that tank passed hydro right? :p

splatterbrain
07-07-2004, 10:23 AM
this website might help some folks out there. www.luxfercylinders.com

hAppy
07-07-2004, 12:36 PM
http://shiro.wustl.edu/research/demorest/explosion.jpg
:rofl:

"technically" its not "DANGEROUS" its just a precaution. cus either way they hydro test it by putting like 5k+ Psi into the tank to see if i can handle it. or something like that

hAppy
07-07-2004, 12:36 PM
have a special cell mate you have to call daddy? Who is your daddy? :dance: Who is your daddy? :dance: Who is your daddy? :dance: Who is your daddy? :dance: Who is your daddy? :dance: Who is your daddy? :dance:
hahaha :rofl:

nerobro
07-07-2004, 04:33 PM
If you've been filling the tank regularly and using it, I highly doubt it's going to randomly explode the second it's out of hydro.

Some people are overreacting, but yes it's better to hydro it then that.

And you do realize that when you hydro a tank you're pushing it to 150% of it's working pressure? :p

5/3 pressure. To 166% pressure. or if you want numbers. 5000psi for a 3k tank, 7500psi for a 4.5k tank.

Every fill streches the tank. This strech work hardens the material. You get the tank rehydroed to make sure there's enough elasticity left in the tank. If you don't rehydro the tank, you're gambling there's enough left. And more than that, you're gambling with the guy who's filling your tank, and the person who's playing next to you. It's not fair to other players to play with an out of hydro tank.

Blazestorm
07-07-2004, 04:39 PM
I guess I should stick to 12 grams then eh nero :p

MidnightRider
07-07-2004, 05:36 PM
Does anybody know of any decent companies for doing the testing? I saw the one link in this thread, I just would like to have options.

Also is there a FAQ on how to read the dates on tanks?

Thanks

MR :dance:

animal
07-09-2004, 04:57 PM
Well theoretically, if it did blow, as long as the date that had the hydro date is gone, it could just as well have been a current tank :) Burst disks will blow llong before the tank will, isn't that what they're there for?

My tanks are out of hydro right now, granted Im not using them. Gonna try co2 again for the first time in a long time this weekend on the minimag :D

Skoad
07-09-2004, 05:19 PM
ok so everyone with airbags in their cars can drive without a seatbelt.....because theoretically when they crash the airbag will save them.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Koosh
07-09-2004, 05:23 PM
Quick question...

My tank is dated 3-02, so its coming up for hydro here in March...

Can I use it throughout the month of march, and it expires April first 2005, or come march will every feild around here refuse to fill it?

Miscue
07-09-2004, 05:34 PM
more like
http://www.automags.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=36327&stc=1

......................|
......................|
.....................\/

Blazestorm
07-09-2004, 05:37 PM
Hey miscue, when is my tank going to be finished from milling?

Thanks! :D