PDA

View Full Version : Remember when AO used to think that...

FooTemps
07-10-2004, 03:05 AM
<rant>
Remember when AO used to think that AGG, gat, and muppet mower were the most stupid terms in all of paintball? I find it kind of odd how people are suddenly starting to praise those gucci and louis vitton "designer" (FAKE!) markers and parts.

I don't know what I'm trying to get at... It's just kind of stupid how some people are such bandwagon players... Even to the point of being a hypocrite, hating agg stuff, and then loving it 6 hours later.
</rant>

I know that a lot of other AO'ers don't do this, I just wanted to rant about what I see.

68magOwner
07-10-2004, 03:19 AM
i still think that stuff is stupid, hey, i even said "say no to agg" in the "desighner barrel cover" thread :headbang: (uh-ohh, against the current, woot)

Enemy
07-10-2004, 05:25 AM
i hate the phrase agg, gat and just about every other trendy term there is.. as for the designer annos and head bands i think thats a little bit stupid but the condom is cool i know my brother would love that it will match his wallet..not for me though definatley not my style but then again neither is kmart wall mart and the such..

FooTemps
07-10-2004, 05:30 AM
i hate the phrase agg, gat and just about every other trendy term there is.. as for the designer annos and head bands i think thats a little bit stupid but the condom is cool i know my brother would love that it will match his wallet..not for me though definatley not my style but then again neither is kmart wall mart and the such..

lol, match his wallet? don't you mean match his PURSE?

Smitty2k1
07-10-2004, 10:39 AM
Its unfortunate that things like that are pretty much what made me quit PBallin.

I was sick of going to the field and finding nothing but high end E-Markers shot by people who were unfriendly, had huge egos, and put down anything they thought was 'newbie-ish'

Even the owner of my local field, a true old school player has started to adapt to the new 'pop culture' of paintball. Its horrible.

But then again, I dont like playing in the woods with the open players, Id rather play speed/hyper/air with the teams... maybe thats where I went wrong.

-=Squid=-
07-10-2004, 10:42 AM
lol, match his wallet? don't you mean match his PURSE?No, he doesnt.

Im not his brother, but I own a louis vuitton wallet.

I think its great stuff; nothing wrong with it at all.

hAppy
07-10-2004, 10:48 AM
<rant>
Remember when AO used to think that AGG, gat, and muppet mower were the most stupid terms in all of paintball? I find it kind of odd how people are suddenly starting to praise those gucci and louis vitton "designer" (FAKE!) markers and parts.

I don't know what I'm trying to get at... It's just kind of stupid how some people are such bandwagon players... Even to the point of being a hypocrite, hating agg stuff, and then loving it 6 hours later.
</rant>

I know that a lot of other AO'ers don't do this, I just wanted to rant about what I see.You can't compare what people say to what people do. People who say gat and agg are just annoying. But people who anno their guns a certain way aren't stupid or annoying. Leave it be, let them do what they wish. There is no relation between the two to say a person is hypocrite.

It's probably not bandwagon either. Some people just like the design or the idea, or simply want to be unique. Personally I will never own any of those weird pink, rasta, or Gucci anno'd guns. But I will still admit they are "cool and interesting".

ramenjames
07-10-2004, 10:51 AM
i personaly think that paintball is starting to develop a pop culture lifestyle

(i have brought this up elsewhere) look at skating (boarding)

i used to skate ...and i thoght all of the "lifestyle" **** was stupid...and the fact that it was cool to act like a skater was going to hurt the sport (preps whereing skate shirts and shoes)

but all it did was lowerd prices for skating and helped it gain understanding by the ignorent masses

now if paintball develops a "lifestyle" thing ....and people (that don play....or that do) start to put more $$$ in to it......it will lower are prices

and im gonna have to say a 30$ case of marbs sounds better then a 60$ case

RetroEclipseMan
07-10-2004, 02:08 PM
I'm not into the whole "gat" and "agg" thing that's poppn' up lately but it's not like it's going to cause me to quit paintball. The same type of thing happened in snowboarding. Even as little as 7 years ago when I started it was different than it is now. It's just a phase that I'm sure will pass but it will make the sport grow I sure. As for the designer guns and apparel I don't see anything wrong with it. Seems pretty unique to me. I may even pick up a gucci headwrap from Slipknot if he does them and not just head bands.

WARPED1
07-10-2004, 02:51 PM
I stll hate AGG, Gat, HK, and any other BSNation term of the minute.

LittlePaintballBoy
07-10-2004, 03:06 PM
HK isn't a "term"... They are a team. I'm not sure what you are saying by that.

WARPED1
07-10-2004, 03:10 PM
HK is also used as a term over there"Check out my HK AGG Angel!", stuff like that. And it's more like a cult, than a team! :p

Curly
07-10-2004, 03:16 PM
An HK Angel is an Angel that has been modified with a WAS board and break beam eyes. It is called an HK angel because the hostile kids were the first people to do this modification. HK is not a term like "agg".

Tyger
07-10-2004, 03:22 PM
HK?

Heckler and Koch (http://www.hecklerkoch-usa.com/) is into paintball? Dang, that explains the whole "Gat" thing....

the paintball "lifestyle" being packaged and sold to us is a lie. I haven't met any player who can live the "Paintball rock and roll" lifestyle. And for what it's worth, is there a real paintball "lifestyle"? Do we really have anything that defines us? So far, I'd say no. Paintball is so diverse as a whole that you can't package it into a neat little package and market it.

On a related note, I saw recently a "Vision Street Wear" T-shirt. That stopped me. I haven't seen one of those since the 80's.

-Tyger

desslock
07-10-2004, 03:39 PM
hahah VISION street wear what a f***ing joke!!!! I started skating around 1987 back when boards were different shapes, I saw companies like vision street wear attempt to define and package the "lifestyle" of the skateboarder it was garbage then and it will be garbage now. Im not saying if u want to sport a HK tee shirt your lame, Im saying that a bunch of madison ave advertisers telling you are lame cause you DONT sport the HK tee shirt is utter BS. Want a clear cut example watch a documentery called "Stoked" its about Mark Gator Rawgoski a pro skater from the 80's that was chewed up and spat out cause he was no longer the flavor of the month. As players, field owners, marker manufactures we all need to stop any billion dollar compaines blind us with the "easy" money by dressing like a clown in their overpriced clothes made in 3rd world countries. Bottom line, paintballers, skateboarders, surfers, snowboarders and any other "extreme" athelete will be left by the wayside once the current EXTREME fad goes away. Remember at 1 time in this country almost every kid had a yo yo, who the hell plays with yo yos now?? Sorry about getting all preachy, Im at work and bored! LOL!!!

LittlePaintballBoy
07-10-2004, 03:42 PM
HK as in Hostile Kids Tyger...

ZSigErik
07-10-2004, 04:02 PM
well, I supported the "designer" markers, I thought they were gorgeous and I plan on getting one at sometime in my life. I actually HOPE paintball finds a niche in the lifestyle market.

Id love to see a store similiar to a Pacific Sunwear that had paintball clothes and such that were not only ACCEPTED, but a COOL thing to wear.

But I guess Im the only one with that bit of two cents.

Tyger
07-10-2004, 04:09 PM
HK as in Hostile Kids Tyger...

I know. It's sarcasm. seriously tho, I hear "HK", I think firearms. Much in the same way that I disbelieve that Winchester made paintball gear once upon a time.

I'm waiting for Nike to catch on paintball, make a paintball specific shoe, make us flavor of the year, and see what happens. Anyone remember the Reebok "Bungee-jumper" commercial?

The inflow of money will be nice, but will we as a community have to sell out the broad identiy we share in favor of the slick marketing campaign? The sad thing is that I know that if some comapny spent the money on a focus group, got the package together, the paintball community would buy it. I wouldn't mind someone who's already INTO the game making lifestyle apparel like t-shirts and so on, because they "Get it". It's when outsiders come in and tell us what we want based on polls and charts that I get bothered.

-Tyger

ZSigErik
07-10-2004, 04:14 PM
I'm waiting for Nike to catch on paintball, make a paintball specific shoe, make us flavor of the year, and see what happens. Anyone remember the Reebok "Bungee-jumper" commercial?

-Tyger

Also, do you remember a couple years back, when Nike got into the sakteboarding market, came out with 100 dollar skate shoes and were features in a few 411 vids, it was somewhat...different. It felt as if MArtha Stewart had came out with a brand of beer...

magman007
07-10-2004, 05:23 PM
Well Foo, it seems that you are hating on slipknot, and i dont think that is fair. He has created a product, that people seem to like. personally i ordered a gucci headband, because i think its a cool idea, and im supporting a good friend. Designer stuff is cool, and fun to own. i know its fake, but it looks cool. Just because you have one, doesnt mean you are agg, or use sick gats, or muppet mowers to shoot faces.

People arent jumping on the bandwagon, they are supporting an AOer for making a cool product. Is there soething saying that AO cant wear cool stuff?

I dunno, i dont get your point. i think the designs are cool, and a fun thing to have. Hell, why wear dye? why dont we all just wear generic stuff?

AGDlover
07-10-2004, 05:39 PM
i honestly that the AGG thing where it says you must look this way and act this way kinda like that Arowsmith song "walk this way" my theroy on that thing is that all things are best learned through experance not by what people tell them and will allways hate PBN for comeing up with it(well i think they came up with it :confused: )

FooTemps
07-10-2004, 05:41 PM
Alright, I wasn't trying to attack slipknot... he just trigged me. I just don't like how people are starting to use agg and stuff in fs forums (pbn, ao, wherever). It makes surfing through them so much harder because it's like "AGG HK MUPPET MOWER spyder AWESOME FS FT BUY BUY $$$$ BLING" for every thread on pbn and every once and a while on ao.

Designer stuff isn't as bad, but there's a point where it's just stupid. If you had a matching gucci gun and barrel blocker, GREAT. That's kind of nifty if that is the theme of your design. But if you have like a flat black spyder esp whatever with some "tourney mods" and decide to stick a white and rainbow louis vuitton barrel condom on there, it's just stupid.

Truth is, there are tons of bandwagon players out there that buy stuff like this to be cool, or accepted, or to not be called a n00bz0rz muppet being mowed omgwtfbbq blingblingbling not agg.

JesseB
07-10-2004, 05:57 PM
once again.............

If anyone wanted their equipment to be ok with you I am sure they would ask. Until then don't criticise unless it is constructive. cry babies........

rx2
07-10-2004, 07:31 PM
OT: Desslock, that is a pretty hilarious reference with Gator. I remember hearing the news of his little "slip up" back in the day. A friend of mine still has his old Gator board, in neon green and pink. I also remember when I would see bands all dressed in their Vision gear in videos. "Rebellion through conformity," or something like that...

SlipknotX556
07-10-2004, 07:41 PM
Well Foo, it seems that you are hating on slipknot, and i dont think that is fair. He has created a product, that people seem to like. personally i ordered a gucci headband, because i think its a cool idea, and im supporting a good friend. Designer stuff is cool, and fun to own. i know its fake, but it looks cool. Just because you have one, doesnt mean you are agg, or use sick gats, or muppet mowers to shoot faces.

People arent jumping on the bandwagon, they are supporting an AOer for making a cool product. Is there soething saying that AO cant wear cool stuff?

I dunno, i dont get your point. i think the designs are cool, and a fun thing to have. Hell, why wear dye? why dont we all just wear generic stuff?

Thank you Magman.

I decided to make designer items, because I can. Not to be AGG or anything. I did it, because some people out there do like the look, Sure my stuff is fake, but its very well made and if someone who has never seen a real gucci or LV purse, look at my product, I promise that they would not be able to tell the difference. Now some people dont approve of them, thats fine, I am not forcing them to like what I make, but I have fun making them, it gives me joy when I recieve an IM from people telling me that they have recieve one of my headbands and they love it. I also bring them the product at an affordable price, unlike other people who charge much more then I do.

magman007
07-10-2004, 08:08 PM
hahah VISION street wear what a f***ing joke!!!! I started skating around 1987 back when boards were different shapes, I saw companies like vision street wear attempt to define and package the "lifestyle" of the skateboarder it was garbage then and it will be garbage now. Im not saying if u want to sport a HK tee shirt your lame, Im saying that a bunch of madison ave advertisers telling you are lame cause you DONT sport the HK tee shirt is utter BS. Want a clear cut example watch a documentery called "Stoked" its about Mark Gator Rawgoski a pro skater from the 80's that was chewed up and spat out cause he was no longer the flavor of the month. As players, field owners, marker manufactures we all need to stop any billion dollar compaines blind us with the "easy" money by dressing like a clown in their overpriced clothes made in 3rd world countries. Bottom line, paintballers, skateboarders, surfers, snowboarders and any other "extreme" athelete will be left by the wayside once the current EXTREME fad goes away. Remember at 1 time in this country almost every kid had a yo yo, who the hell plays with yo yos now?? Sorry about getting all preachy, Im at work and bored! LOL!!!

I dissagree with your blanketed statement. The extreme vibe is here to stay. Look, if you know about skateboarding, you will realize since its conception, it has gone in 10 year cycles of popularity. It will pop up get really big, then virtually die off after a few years. Well, if you have noticed, this hasnt happened really since the xgames started promoting it so much. The same is with snowboarding, and now IT is in the olympics. There fore, it is there to stay. Skateboarding might soon be inducted as well. Rollerblading is now in one of these famed Skateboarding lulls, once it becomes more promoted again, im sure it will stay for a while as well.

Once paintball gets this, it will burst onto the scene, and it will also be there to stay.

Saying it will all die off again, is not true. Since the xgames conception, skateboarding hasnt suffered a hit like it once had been suffering, for OVER 10 years, completely beating its record.

FooTemps
07-10-2004, 10:47 PM
Thank you Magman.

I decided to make designer items, because I can. Not to be AGG or anything. I did it, because some people out there do like the look, Sure my stuff is fake, but its very well made and if someone who has never seen a real gucci or LV purse, look at my product, I promise that they would not be able to tell the difference. Now some people dont approve of them, thats fine, I am not forcing them to like what I make, but I have fun making them, it gives me joy when I recieve an IM from people telling me that they have recieve one of my headbands and they love it. I also bring them the product at an affordable price, unlike other people who charge much more then I do.

Did you read my second post? I wasn't trying to directly attack you. It was just a breaking point when people go mad about "agg" in your thread. It's fine with me you're trying to cash in on the latest trend in paintball... I'm just saying I'm getting sick of this trend.

Automaget
07-10-2004, 10:52 PM
Ok will i be the first one to say it but im never in the PBN forums i just like being in my own little niche for agd but what is AGG? GAT? muppet mower? gucci and louis vitton "designer" (FAKE!) markers and parts? Please help :confused:

tony3
07-10-2004, 11:34 PM
AGG=A word that means basically cool, awesome, etc etc, people take it to where if you look agg you look cool, agg has a certain look, go search for it on pbn, you'll find a lot about it...

Gat=Gattling gun=machine gun=slang term for a fast shooting electro

Gucci/LV stuff=They are both designers that design cloths and other stuff, very very expensive, rich people have their stuff usually, and people are making knock off gucci/lv stuff like headbands and barrel condoms

Muppet mower=term used to describe a gun that "mows" i.e. beats everyone, destorys "muppets" i.e. newbies

Onward, I think everyone take agg, gat, and that whole lingo WAY WAY too seriously, people say stuff and act like that for fun, then people come and take it serious. It isn't meant to be serious. I think it is a trend, paintball clothing has evolved a lot from 1980's. Claiming people are "jumping on the bandwagon" is funny. They probably are, people like to keep up with trends. Most of my friends keep up with the thrends, I don't wear clothes that aren't in style anymore, because I don't want to look stupid. Same situation with paintball. Most people can't realize this. Just my 2 cents, just relax, wear what you want, let others wear what you want. We are all here to play paintball, so why not just do that and not complain?

team unwanted
07-10-2004, 11:34 PM
who cares what words and terms people say

1stdeadeye
07-11-2004, 09:24 AM
<rant>
Remember when AO used to think that AGG, gat, and muppet mower were the most stupid terms in all of paintball?

What do you mean used too? ;)

Twitch_DGA
07-11-2004, 10:13 AM
i dont care what people wear or buy, but i dont like it when people directly relate jerseys with skill, and wether or not you a newbie by how much brand name sh*t you have on. i get called a newb when i play and iv been playing for about 4 years. though they usawaly shut up after i shoot them in the face. ;) but i bolieve that the paintball world would benifit more if people spent more money on playing than they did on what kind of dew rag they wear, or jersey they own. as for what people say i could care less. if some enjoy paintball more when using trendy terms then so be it. as long as every one shows up for the shooting. :shooting:

desslock
07-18-2004, 01:13 PM
my prev statement wasnt so much a blanket statement more like a rant, I could care less what people wear or shoot at their local fields as long as they are having fun and are safe. What rubs me the wrong way is when companies outside of paintball slip in and start selling overpriced junk, they spend the bulk of their money on advertising why lil johnny p baller is soooo uncool unless he wears brand X, and IF (notice the big if lol) pball goes back underground and is only played by a handfull instead of millions of peeps, brand X and all their money will be onto the "next big thing". I would love to see pball in the olympics I would love to coach a High School team, and I think if you support "true" pballl companies ie. AGD, WGP, JT, REDZ etc. then pball will progress to the highest levels. All Im saying is be aware that there are BS companies out to milk a cash cow, usally these bs companies stick out like a sore thumb.

Matt1427
07-18-2004, 03:22 PM
Agg