PDA

View Full Version : Your ideal feild and store?

GT
07-10-2004, 03:23 PM
What would you guys want in your ideal field?

For me,
I would have 2-3 xball fields, some woods to play CTF with the noobies, and 2-3 hyperball fields. fill stations at each field, small pro shop, a place for observes to hang out in the ac and watch folks play. REAL refs, not punk kids that have no clue. Just wondering as i have a vested intrest in this topic.

gt

teufelhunden
07-10-2004, 03:29 PM
Mine's similiar to yours-- 2-3 XBall fields, a 5 man and a 7 man airball field, 3 man and 7 man hyperball, a few fill stations, BYOP, real bathrooms, a decent place to get some grub, a decent sized shop with a few techs on hand during play, and no noobs.

Oh, and BYOP.

LittlePaintballBoy
07-10-2004, 03:41 PM
Heres a form or something of the like that might make it easier for some people.

XBall field: Yes, 2 fields.
Airball: Yep, a 7 man.
Hyperball: Yeah, a few of those.
Woods: No thanks.
Air: A central field station close to all the fields.
Proshop: Yes, just an area to hang out in with AC and pb videos playing.
Bathrooms: Yeah, some good ones.
Refs: Yeah, I agree with gt on this one.
Food: Easy stuff, snack food and hotdogs and the like.

barrel break
07-10-2004, 03:53 PM
would have every type of feild, ever, ground would be exactly like the green on a golf course.

shop has everything, almost free

oh, and refs who catch all the punk cheaters, and paintchack without you knowing it.

but realistically, I'd want one airball feild (10 man) an x-ball feild, a woods, and a hyperball.
Good refs who actually GIVE a damn, and a store with a nice wide selection and nice (cheap) prices

jesseyo13
07-10-2004, 07:01 PM
I would settle for 1 air ball field! We dont even have that.

Torbo
07-10-2004, 07:11 PM
fields: 2 outdoor xball fields. One outdoor 7 man field. On lush green soft grass.
indoor, a big heated area, with raised staging, big ebnough for 2 5 man fields or one xball field. Astro turf indoors.

Shop: spacious, clean, friendly, good prices, good stock, and the ability to order anything you want within a reasonable amount of time. And willing to do wholesaling.

Refs: not afraid to get shot, willing to go check people in the thick of it.

Other stuff: clean spacios bathrooms, food (pizza and soda and stuff), not a huge long walk to the fields, push button air fills, heated and air conditioned. And smooth surfaces everywhere so i can roll my bag.

dynastyfan
07-10-2004, 07:15 PM
3-4 sup air fields, a town field, a tree house type thing(my local feild has one and i love it), some woods, and a hyper ball field or two, then a kick *** proshop, good food and very nice bath rooms.

SlipknotX556
07-10-2004, 07:21 PM
2 X ball, 2 10 man dye fields. 4 Hyperball fields.

Shop - have good prices, timmy parts and so I wont have to order from PBK anymore.

magman007
07-10-2004, 07:51 PM
Well, i wont go into a field, but i was thinking how nice a beautiful pro shop would be. Something setup like Jacks Surfboards in Huntington beach, any one who was at HB will know what im talking about, or the more famous Fairmans in westchester, Most of you know it as Bam's skate shop, hangout etc etc. I nice looking show room, with gear on hangars, in most sizes, a wall of markers, and a clear glass case with parts galore inside. a friendly, relaxed staff, whom truely knows what they are talking about, and are willing to help, not just give you the cold shoulder. Screens playing various paintball videos, and some nice music playing. Another thing i like about fairmans, is their collection of used Pro Decks hangin on the walls, ones donated and signed to the store, its a nice touch.

Another nice thing, would be the clear display case/cash register, with smaller items, belts, videos, lube's etc etc.

i really apreciate this atmosphere, and i feel it would draw attention, if placed in a busy area, and done nicely.

The Spanish Inquisition
07-10-2004, 08:39 PM
I've always wanted to play in a miniature golf course. Make a field like that.

jesseyo13
07-10-2004, 08:46 PM
that would be cool. Go hide in the windmill, or go bunker the person begind the clown

Destructo6
07-10-2004, 10:17 PM
The front side would be building which includes a large paintball shop, open 7 days a week, field restroom, and rentals accessible from the rear of the building. Immediately to the rear would be 4 or 6 speedball/airball fields, 2 (4 if demand warrants) of which are lighted for night games and practice. Around the speedball/airball fields, in a horseshoe pattern, would be several woods type fields which would be open on weekends and could be connected with the speedball fields for big games. A wide central avenue would allow access to the various fields.

Paint would be priced reasonably. Actually, all of the shop's wares would be no higher than standard market prices. New player could walk in with nothing and out with everything or an experienced player could buy that last part with the confidence that they won't discover on Monday that they paid way too much. Few things make me as bitter as being and raped on prices, just because the seller knows you have few alternatives.

A bowling league of sorts would be run to get people to play regularly and competitively, yet at a friendly amatuer level. These games would be held weeknights on the lighted fields.

Hey, that's my vision and I'm entitled to dream.

One of the big problems is finding a location that is zoned for the activity, yet with the space available to do it and is close enough to a main road so that folks will come by even for a small item from the shop.

Carbon
07-10-2004, 11:18 PM
GTRSI- 1 large "urban" field the rest should be speedball.

Seeing as you have a vested interest, I belive one of the most important aspects of a field is the newb and 1st time friendliness. The field has to be fun but, it also has to me staff managable and have a high turnover rate. By turnover i mean high(er) volume shooting. Paintball is inherently intense that aspect is part of the package. Simply because the sport involves shooting opponents. What you have to provide is an enviroment that generaly, facilitates rapid shooting.

Im going to say and urban field for the noobs and 1st timers. It should be the largest and beginer friendly rules should apply. The dichotomy of a large field but with cover in close proximity should produce that result to good effect. CTF and theme games work excellent on urban type fields.

By "urban" i mean:
all hard cover, little concealment (bushes and trees). Scrap neting draped over objects make good "concealed" areas.

Symetry. Asymetricl but, ballanced. there should be an equall number of towers/similar cover per side.

Interserting objects as bunkers. Barrel and boxes are suffcient, but woodchip mounds, odd shaped bunkers and the sort make for interesting play.

Multiple starting points.

The rest could be speedball.

XbeasleyX
07-10-2004, 11:24 PM
My ideal field already exists, in Belfast NY. GRC paintball, decent food, good pro-shop, they use a booster with tanks instead of relying(sp) on just tanks, 1 ten man airball field, 1 hyperball field, 1 indoor hyper/airball field, ~4 good woods fields, two villages( more than 10 whole buildings, a tower, cars and an inground(now above ground) septic tenk with holes cut in the sides for shooting angles.) decent real bathrooms and above all an incredible owner. I drive 2 hours to play here instead of one town over. :headbang:

ramenjames
07-10-2004, 11:25 PM
it would have 2 full size indoor Xball fields
(2 of each) 3 5 7 10 man fields (hyper and air ball)
tons of woods (small ones and some spanning acres)
a place for people to hang ...tell storys and watch vids ...indoor
a proshop with 1 or every type of gun instock (for 20% less)
a free case with the 10$ admission fee ( :rolleyes: )
good bathrooms
a nice food place (with all types of grill stuff)
and mostly ....cool people

oh and good refs ...plenty of em

minimag03
07-11-2004, 01:08 AM
The most inportant thing for me is a nice staff that cares more about pb and helping you than making money.

minimag03

brtncstm160
07-11-2004, 02:35 AM
Id say basically what everyone else above said but i would add that we need some other players that dont cheat and can call themselves out everyonce and a great while instead of playing on or whiping :mad:

JJ

GoatBoy
07-11-2004, 03:04 AM
I guess I'm going to run against the grain, as I usually do.

I personally see no value in having a stocked store at a field. It usually pains me to see a 'pro shop' at a field, because that just means they're losing money keeping that inventory there. The "pro shop" aspect should be kept to a bare minimum.

The most I've needed to purchase at the field was, like, some macroline or a barrel condom.

Lockers/changing area/flushing toilets. Clean. Offer some sort of day-use locker storage for 'members'.

I'd like to see refs who want to keep the field profitable. This means doing things to make sure the customers are having a good time so they'll come back for more fun. I see refs/staff doing the exact opposite of this, which puzzles me to some extent. You don't want a staff that cares more about paintball than making money considering the current atmosphere of paintball, and which segment of our population considers themselves top dog. One of our local fields has this guy working the front desk that knows NOTHING about paintball. But he's GREAT with the customers, and I'd say he's one of the biggest assets to that field.

Fields:

2x woods
2x airball
1x urban
1x "fort"
maybe 1 hyper/lego field; probably not a requirement if the above are met

And one constantly evolving 'concept field'. Why be another drone? Be creative, surprise us!

Having grass on the airball field is nice.

BYOP capability. "Paint fee" it if you have to.

Some sort of clean, indoor sitting area; preferably not in the through path from parking lot to field. 802.11b/g wireless access for parents/SO's to have something to do. Maybe sort of a hangout-like atmosphere.

Oh yeah, staging area... Need shade and tables.

Should offer beverages; food I'm not so big on.

Air stations... one in the staging area, a second 'mobile' one nestled out with the fields somewhere. Be sure to bring it in and lock it up at the end of the day.

Wireless field-cams... Hooked up to a computer, which constantly records the action. Let's say you just totally pwned someone on the field. At the end of the day, they can burn you a CD/DVD of whatever clips you want. This would be great for parties as well, I think. Cams could also be viewable on TV's inside the hangout area...

Python14
07-11-2004, 12:14 PM
Four Hyperball fields( 2 Five mans, a 3-man, and a 10-man)
Four Woods fields (1 huge field100+ player teams, 2 mediums, 1 small5 player teams)
Five airball fields (One 3-man, 2 Five-mans, 1 Seven-man , and 1 thirteen-man)
Two X-ball fields (One regular Five-man and a larger Seven-man with 3 Xs)

The non-woods ball fields would be this type of long stalk astroturf that looks and feels like real grass(I've never played on it, but my grandmother replaced her lawn with it a few years back and you can slide for miles on it). The X-ball fields would have Bleecher seating around the outside (the fields would be next to each other, with scoreboards over the ultimate field judge/penalty box inbetween them). They would also have a roof covering the fields and bleechers. The roof could be retracted though so the refs can get a tan. The other five airball fields would be next to the X-ball fields, and the Hyperball fields would be just behind them(put your best foot forward, right?)

The woods fields would be behind all this, with a central trail/road to get to them. A tractor(s) with a trailer would move players from the staging area to the fields.

The staging area/Pro shop would be kind of like a Golf Country club. It would be behind the X-ball fields and next to the hyperball fields. The front of it would share the boundary with the Xball fields. The staging area would have both a covered area, an indoor area with a small restaurant in it(Buffalo Wild Wings?). The bathrooms would be real bathrooms, and would also have private showers and a locker room for teams. A second floor enclosed viewing area would be kind of like a observation deck at an airport. The front would view the Xball fields and the side would view the 10-man hyperball field. The store would carry every Major brand, and also would have a section of everyday clothes so you could do all your shopping at one place. Rentals would be range in performance from pumps(Sniper 2s) up to electros(E-mags). There would be atleast one full time gun tech on duty to do warranty wood, and I'm sure with all the players this field would attract, if the tech was busy, someone else could do it too.

All the fields would be well lit for night play and the netting would be well secured so it doesn't blow in the wind. The field layouts would change weekly, and be posted on the internet so teams could print them out for tournaments.

Refs would be full time/non-playing employees to help eliminate any kind of bias. Field fees would be well spent as well, and memberships would be available too. Members would get some sort of deal on paint and food.

A year long tournament series would be run similar to the CFOA(except it'd be at the same place all year) with accumulated points and an invitation only championship held around Thanksgiving. Smaller rookie, young guns, Top gun, and ladies only tournaments would be held too, so everyone would get a chance to play.

And my office would be in a huge tower that looks kind of like the Eye of Sauron.

Yea, my field would be awsome.

Steelrat
07-11-2004, 12:36 PM
Don't know if anyone mentioned this, but it should be BYOP. FPO works for the field, but as I player I generally dont go to places that have this rule. I will, however, pay over $10 for all day air without getting upset, so you can make some money that way. Have a rule prohibiting scubas or any personal fill stations.

Run games continuosly. One local field has games going all the time, they just dont stop. I feel like Im getting my money's worth there.

2003paintballa
07-11-2004, 01:56 PM
it'd be all on flat ground, and the greenest, nicest , grass around. No dirty spots what so ever so easy sliding. Thered be full nets around the field. A fill station right next to the fields, and a snack bar. I'd keep it pretty simple but enought to have a blast.

2 airball fields- 10 man fields, can be broken down to 5 mans or w/e
1 x-ball field and have real matches.
1 hyperball field, cuz u got to keep it classic
atleast 4 refs per field just to keep it fair so theres no :cry:
a gun tech there to work on broken guns, and if ur guns broke i'd have timmys and trixes up for rent

nt2004
07-11-2004, 01:57 PM
my ideal feild- Free marbs. Thats all i need