PDA

View Full Version : Your Ideal ref :)

MagAl
07-10-2004, 08:50 PM
All the goodies your ideal ref should *BE*

(Yes I might be reffing soon and I need a few pointers)

some reffs just suck :( I dont want to be one!

brtncstm160
07-10-2004, 08:55 PM
Just do the opposite of what the reffs you dont like do :D Dont sweat reffing dude its really easy just make sure everyone is safe like goggle rule and barrel plug rule and the day goes by fine. Safety is the biggest thing you can add for a good day thats the bottom line and have fun.

FSU_Paintball
07-10-2004, 08:57 PM
Any ref that's decent is fine by me. Doesn't rule the field with an iron nazi fist, but doesn't take any crap from people trying to pull a stunt... as long as they do their job and are friendly, it's all gravy

Chronobreak
07-10-2004, 09:13 PM
be like me im an uber ref...yes im a ref.....lol just watch the game...and dont show up too baked ;) and be sure that EVERYONE ex prvate groups the people understand the rules of the game,where to go when out etc, and ALWAYS WEAR MASKS!

barrel break
07-10-2004, 09:33 PM
dont take crap, but dont be unapproachable, and biggest thing, if paintchecking someone, try and have as little contact as possible.

Automaget
07-10-2004, 09:35 PM
Ill say one word "pat" hes the ref at my local field and hes 100% there

Halliday
07-10-2004, 09:43 PM
I got to see what I don't want in a Ref today.

-No interaction with the players. As soon as we'd get back in the safe area he'd be in his chair chatting to the paint/beverage/counter person. The Ref represents the field. Tips to newbs and questions to old schoolers keeps people having a good time.

-Not watching the safe area. He'd be chatting, not looking around and people would be pulling out barrel plugs. I started yelling at them and I don't even work there.

-Not caring about games. Our break times were longer than the 10 min games. It was hot out, but when I Ref I keep an eye peeled to see when players are ready. If hoppers and pods are filled, beverages are consumed, cigs are smoked and tanks are filled I get the players rolling!

Edited for grammar.

Josh2Xtremes
07-10-2004, 09:53 PM
Any of my CFOA head refs. Well-paid and therefore well-motivated. Trauma players (except Scuba Steve) so they know the game as well if not better than anyone, and not afraid to pull the armband off anyone (and who's going to argue with a player they know is better than them?) They dont have to bother with filling out score sheets because we have scorekeepers doing that for them. We keep a cooler full of drinks for them and keep them well-fed as well. All they have to do is ref (and remember to return their ref jerseys and other gear at the end of the day, a process we're still working on lol). Treat the refs properly and they'll enforce the rules properly, and therefore we have many more happy players than upset. It costs a little more than usual but it doesn't cost THAT much more to go first class.
Josh

elpimpo
07-11-2004, 03:09 AM
DONT USE THE DAMN NUETRAL CALL thats one thing that pisses em off about rookie refs. its not that hard to check someone without them being nuetral. other than that, dont be afraid to yank someones armband, dont watch the actuall game, play a zone defence and watch your area only, the rest of the field is up to the other refs.

Enemy
07-11-2004, 03:19 AM
im pretty hands on cuz i know that shirts move so ill be up there you can still play go ahead ill ask if you got hit and where or sometimes get aid from the other team!!! any how dont be afraid to get shot and get up there on checks dont sit five feet away and take 30 seconds to look at something the guy is pointing at!!! i guess you all dont like it when refs are hands on but for me that makes things that much quicker and you can still play as long as you expose me the side that you may have been hit on!!

elpimpo
07-11-2004, 03:26 AM
refs can be hands on, as long as they arent impeeding the play of the player. like i had a ref grab my hopper, pull it down to the side and look at it, then it got hit while it was out there, and i got hit, so he called me out. thats toooooo hands on

MrWallen
07-11-2004, 04:02 AM
Make sure you enforce the rules you preach.
Don't be afraid of getting shot.
Learn to yell at people.
Remember if you're not sure how to make a call either ask another ref close to you or radio in (if your field uses radios).
Don't play favorites; your friends will be pissed at you when you call tehm out, but they usually get over it afterward.
Don't let players talk you out of a call you just made, even if it was a bad call.

Hmm, that's about it. Actually haven't reffed in a while, I usually think it's more fun than actually playing.

elpimpo
07-11-2004, 04:23 AM
dont argue with the other refs over a call

dragun_30
07-11-2004, 01:42 PM
always keep your eyes peeled and watch guys closely that are making a run that are under fire

2003paintballa
07-11-2004, 01:51 PM
be nice, but strict when nescerray(sp) don't let those lil rugrats run around with no masks on.

toolfan62
07-11-2004, 01:51 PM
reffin gets boring after say...about a year..

coolcatpete
07-11-2004, 02:48 PM
reffin gets boring after say...about a year..
yep except for very agressive teams.
Pete