PDA

View Full Version : Away around SP!!!

Igotu
07-12-2004, 08:39 AM
OK this is what im thinking TK was talking about laying low for a while and then starting up again with a different name(for tournys) well why doesnt Tom Start up in Canada I mean theres not american patents in Canada or the Uk is there? So just start up like a partner company that sells its products in canada and we buy them from canada.

Creative Mayhem
07-12-2004, 09:17 AM
Not gonna work... SP holds North American patents. Nice try

Igotu
07-12-2004, 09:25 AM
Ya but what about the UK.

jesseyo13
07-12-2004, 09:29 AM
it will go against the international patents Im sure they have too. Even if they dont you wont be able to sell them here anyway

WARPED1
07-12-2004, 09:41 AM
Face it, there is no "way around" the lawsuits. It's here, it's staying. There is nothing anyone can do, even with money. Hey, thats democracy for ya! If everyone just wants to be able to use other peoples work for thier own guns, well, thats called communism. Go to Cuba, China, or North Korea.

durtysoufcraka
07-12-2004, 09:42 AM
ummmm AGDE still sells X-mags. (thats in europe)
-durty

Bolter
07-12-2004, 09:43 AM
that would be ok if TK only wanted to sell outside the US. But the main bulk of all paintball purchaseseses is the US.

:D

JesseB
07-12-2004, 09:44 AM
Yeah but there is a difference between patenting, and monopolizing.

Smart parts is ok by me because I am not in the paintball industry but I'm sure if it did more to me than make a few guns cost more then I'd be mad.

The Action Figure
07-12-2004, 10:01 AM
we could always give sp a firm talking too

Curly
07-12-2004, 11:10 AM
If they did that, they might be able to sell guns in the UK, but they could not sell any in the United States. This would be a waste of money.

Lurker27
07-12-2004, 11:26 AM
Sorry, Nicad already figured this one out. ;)

Jeffy-CanCon
07-12-2004, 11:26 AM
If everyone just wants to be able to use other peoples work for thier own guns, well, thats called communism. Go to Cuba, China, or North Korea.

No. That's called "patent violation". It's a problem in democratic & capitalist countries, like Taiwan, too.

danoxide
07-12-2004, 11:51 AM
it will go against the international patents Im sure they have too. Even if they dont you wont be able to sell them here anyway

not true...SP doesn't hold any international patents...thats why they can't sue WDP...but i still don't think it would be worth all the money

Curly
07-12-2004, 12:24 PM
not true...SP doesn't hold any international patents...thats why they can't sue WDP...but i still don't think it would be worth all the money

Are you kidding? They dont need international patents to sue a company that imports the violating product to the United States. Espcecially when said company has offices state side.

Destructo6
07-12-2004, 02:17 PM
If everyone just wants to be able to use other peoples work for thier own guns, well, thats called communism.
I thought that was called "smart parts"?

Anyways, a screwed up patent system is independant of a country's economic philosophy. The US patent system was intended to benefit the consumer by rewarding innovation, if only for a time, not for lawyers to go patent farming.

http://www.around.com/patent.html

Smoke
07-12-2004, 02:36 PM
OK this is what im thinking TK was talking about laying low for a while and then starting up again with a different name(for tournys) well why doesnt Tom Start up in Canada I mean theres not american patents in Canada or the Uk is there? So just start up like a partner company that sells its products in canada and we buy them from canada.

About once a week somebody posts a thread saying this exact same thing.

It won't work. At all.

JimmyBeam
07-12-2004, 02:39 PM
theres always ways around it, make it in china for example....

but why take an american made product and move over there. im sure TK has his own plans about this whole situation

WARPED1
07-12-2004, 03:44 PM
I thought that was called "smart parts"?

Anyways, a screwed up patent system is independant of a country's economic philosophy. The US patent system was intended to benefit the consumer by rewarding innovation, if only for a time, not for lawyers to go patent farming.

http://www.around.com/patent.html
I love SP, but don't really agree with the way SP went about enforcing thier patents.
But like someone else said "Smart parts is ok by me because I am not in the paintball industry but I'm sure if it did more to me than make a few guns cost more then I'd be mad."

Curly
07-12-2004, 04:42 PM
theres always ways around it, make it in china for example....

but why take an american made product and move over there. im sure TK has his own plans about this whole situation

It doesnt matter where the hell you make it. All that matters is where you sell it. You cannot sell an electro-pneumatic marker in the United States without violating a Smart Parts patent. You could make the gun on mars, it wouldnt make a difference.

Bolter
07-12-2004, 05:56 PM
I seriously think if they get the hAir trigger going and maybe get a 9v ACE or break beam or whatever, and keep the thing mechanical, it'll floor the competition. Should be marketed as a no frills, lightweight, speed machine. Out of the box and go for it! No set up, fully Pro standard mechanical marker. Im guessing it would be cheaper than a brand new electro? Well whatever. Get Deadlywind to release some custom team bodies, and some lush standard bodies that he is famous for. Plus the hAir trigger :headbang:
Shartley for some uber wood grips, Heather for panels with anything in them.
Its a reliable, well loved platform and I really do think it would sell (especially if TK gave them to Rogue to put some lush gloss colour on there, and do his Rogue thang :D) and they would keep on selling.
I can see that being the way round the SP thing.

teufelhunden
07-12-2004, 06:25 PM
Using electronics in the marker is against SP's patents. Therefore, no ACE.

Not to mention, you're um, not going to be able to integrate ACE into a mech marker..

Scott Hudnall
07-12-2004, 06:30 PM
Plus...think it through...how is ACE going to integrate with a purely mechanical marker????hmmmmmmmmmmm :rolleyes:

Lohman446
07-12-2004, 06:40 PM

As pointed above, you cant import a product that violates patents anyways. And.. umm.. WDP if I recall is being sued by SP - in Washington or Oregon. And WDP is suing SP in Wisconsin - all over alleged patent violations on both sides. Interestingly enough, WDP is also suing stores that sold (distributed) SP products

Cool fool!
07-13-2004, 05:43 PM
why cant we all just get along...lets just freakin play! why does there have to be politics in the paintball industry. lets just play! :cheers:

Muzikman
07-13-2004, 06:02 PM
why cant we all just get along...lets just freakin play! why does there have to be politics in the paintball industry. lets just play! :cheers:

Don't come barking that here. If Smart Parts would do just what you are saying, this would be a non issue.

Curly
07-13-2004, 06:05 PM

Keep thinking that. The rest of us live in the real world...

JimmyBeam
07-13-2004, 09:46 PM
It doesnt matter where the hell you make it. All that matters is where you sell it. You cannot sell an electro-pneumatic marker in the United States without violating a Smart Parts patent. You could make the gun on mars, it wouldnt make a difference.

um so your saying you cant sell it on the internet? hmm....

Curly
07-13-2004, 11:21 PM
um so your saying you cant sell it on the internet? hmm....

Sure, you could sell it, but you couldn't ship it to the united states.

UltimatePaintballer
07-13-2004, 11:23 PM
just so you know, the title should read, " A way around SP" not away

BobTheCow
07-14-2004, 02:03 AM
Using electronics in the marker is against SP's patents. Therefore, no ACE.

Not to mention, you're um, not going to be able to integrate ACE into a mech marker..I'm pretty sure it's not that broad... wasn't it, like, using electronics to activate a switch to move a solenoid? Or something of that (more specific) nature? So if I wanted to incorporate, say, an electronic timer into a marker, and nothing else, it wouldn't infringe on SP's "rights."

Or else I'm totally wrong. :tard:

Cthulhu
07-14-2004, 02:35 AM
Let me clear something up:

I was in manufacturing for a short while, and if there's one thing I learned, take a design from Canada/USA, have it manufactured in China to those specs and bring it back you get 2 things:

A) A re-sellable product that does not infringe on patents due to the fact it is made in China. It affects the manufacturer, not the reseller!

B) Often a lower quality product as the tollerances for manufacturing that they currently sustain is much higher than many consumers here tollerate. Alabeit cheeper $$ wise.

So yes, it can be done (and probably is!). Are we going to like what comes out of China? Let me ask you this... have they made ANYTHING we like besides Chineese food?

Casper

Lohman446
07-14-2004, 06:09 AM
Wrong... as a distributor of a product you are legally responsible to make certain that it does not violate patents - hence WDP suing fields that sold markers in what they consider violation of their patents. If patents were as easy to get around as some of you seem to think, noone would bother having them.

Cthulhu
07-14-2004, 06:15 PM
Unless Canadian and USA pattent laws are drastically different which to my knowledge they are not, I'd like to see the proof that that would be in contravention of a patent.

In the position I held previous to my current one, I was involved in having products shipped from China that were made to a specification that was pattented in the USA and Canada. Bobcat is an International company holding international pattents. After clearing it with the lawyer, we produced and sold thousands of replacement teeth for bobcat machinery. Trust me, I know what I'm talking about.

:shooting: