PDA

View Full Version : CD Ripping Question

Thordic
07-12-2004, 06:40 PM
Ok, I just bought the new Velvet Revolver CD.

When I buy a CD, I usually rip the album to MP3 because 99% of the time, I don't feel like swapping out CDs and I have my computer hooked up to my stereo with its massive playlist. I have a seperate computer just for music for this reason.

So I try to rip this CD, and it doesn't work. It only rips every other second or something because it comes out super crappy choppy.

I know this is some sort of BS copyright protection, but its crap. I'm not going to share the files, I WANT TO LISTEN TO MUSIC THAT I PAID FOR.

There must be a way around this. Can anyone help?

MantisMag
07-12-2004, 06:45 PM
press and hold the shift key while inserting the cd. they're only trying to stop casual copiers so it's really simple to bypass. ;)

insanity415
07-12-2004, 06:52 PM
http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.cfm?catid=33&threadid=1339928&enterthread=y

read that thread if the shift key thing doesn't work

MantisMag
07-12-2004, 07:01 PM
This is what insanity is referring to from that thread.

1. Select the SbcpHid driver from the Device Manager list and click "Properties" from the Action Menu.
2. Click the Driver tab and click the Stop button to disable the driver.
3. Set the Startup Type to "Disabled" using the dropdown list.

With the driver stopped, you can verify that the same applications copy every track successfully. Setting the Startup Type to disabled prevents MediaMax from restarting when the computer is rebooted. It will remain deactivated until LaunchCD.exe is allowed to run again.

trevorjk
07-12-2004, 07:09 PM
www.exactaudiocopy.com

it only does the audio files ;) but it is like 500mb per cd!

Miscue
07-12-2004, 07:15 PM
If it can be read, it can be copied. :D

Mindflux
07-12-2004, 07:21 PM
This is what insanity is referring to from that thread.

1. Select the SbcpHid driver from the Device Manager list and click "Properties" from the Action Menu.
2. Click the Driver tab and click the Stop button to disable the driver.
3. Set the Startup Type to "Disabled" using the dropdown list.

With the driver stopped, you can verify that the same applications copy every track successfully. Setting the Startup Type to disabled prevents MediaMax from restarting when the computer is rebooted. It will remain deactivated until LaunchCD.exe is allowed to run again.

That's not in device manager, that's in the Services list.

WickeDKlowN
07-12-2004, 08:33 PM
www.exactaudiocopy.com

it only does the audio files ;) but it is like 500mb per cd!
It only does that if you're using a lossless codec like FLAC or Monkey's Audio(the one I usually use). If you set it to use LAME(mp3) at a normal bit rate(128, 192, one of the vbr presets, etc.) It will be around 70mb like normal(depending on the length of the cd of course). I personally use CDex (http://cdexos.sourceforge.net/) with Monkey's Audio (http://monkeysaudio.com/)

As for ripping your Velvet Revolver cd, the only soluton is not to listen to crap... :p Actually, they install a "driver" on your computer when you first put the cd in, just uninstall it, hold shift when you put the cd in your comp, and rip away!

Bluestrike_2
07-13-2004, 08:20 AM
might I suggest the iTunes jukebox system?

http://www.apple.com/itunes/

It has a separate LAME plugin, and can rip to apple lossless.

Thordic
07-13-2004, 08:34 AM
Not listen to crap? It's Guns and Roses with Scott Weiland as the lead singer. If you think thats crap, you have some serious musical issues.

WickeDKlowN
07-13-2004, 02:04 PM
I was just joking man, chill out. I don't personally care for them, but I won't like change the radio station just because they're on or something.

ZSigErik
07-13-2004, 02:10 PM
Not to hijak the thread, but, well, ok its pointless arguing music. I was going to state my opinion on the matter, and just thought better of it, hence voiding any reason I had to post... :tard:

Chris42050
07-13-2004, 02:33 PM
You know you can just hit the back button when you decide not to post. JK

AutomagBoy
07-15-2004, 06:02 PM
If you have a soundlbaster card, the recorder it comes with has an option to record what you hear. just do that and start it and stop it when each song starts and stops.

I like guns and roses and stone temple pilots better, separate. I dont mind velvet revolver. It's that same thign with audioslave, i like rage and soundgarden better, separate, but if nothing else was going to happen with either band im happy with it.