PDA

View Full Version : Who here has crossed over from the US from Canada?

MikeCouves
10-17-2001, 02:40 PM
I can't wait to get some good 5-6 years experience. I would like to cross the border into the US. I will have my driver's license in like 2 years...so I am anxious. Anyone here that has crossed over? The only major tournaments here are Skyball and Beach Blitz. There are so many down in the states I can't keep track of them all. Anyone?

Prezents
10-17-2001, 04:38 PM
I dont know about crossing, but there are 4 tournaments in Montana in Whitefish.
Prezentshttp://www.mauisun.org/ubb/smilies/cwm28.gif

SIGSays
10-17-2001, 04:52 PM
my friend did.......

MikeCouves
10-17-2001, 04:57 PM
Yeah I was just wondering if it was really difficult or anything.

GOREHAMMER
10-18-2001, 09:17 PM
i did it a few times frome new york, to do some indoor stuff in canada. not to much trouble on those occasions, but i have had some problems before crossing over. just depends on who is on watch and if they dont like the look of you you can forget it.

gimp
10-18-2001, 10:21 PM
It used to be easy. I dont know if it's still the case, but like 2 weeks after the terrorist attacks, we were gonna go to canada to visit all the bars and stuff. You needed a birth certificate or a passport to get back into the US. I'm not sure what the deal is, I'm not sure who you would call either. Make sure you have all the paperwork just in case.

CDN_Drew
10-19-2001, 02:45 AM
Alright... my turn.

I play with the Canadian Contingent out of Ottawa and we normally cross into the states at least twice a year. Once in may for Big Game at Paintball Long Island and in October for Castle conquest at EMR. WE have yet to have an incident at the border. As long as you are polite to the customs agents it'll go fine. JUst don't let any of them try to trick you into saying a paintball marker is a gun. Also, go to your local customs office and get your expensive equipment registered on a Y-38.

here are some excerts from the message we send out to all our members before travelling

Register your goods/gunsBefore you get out of Canada, register all your valuables, owned or borrowed, that you're taking with Canada Customs. The form is a Y-38 and may be filled at the Port of Ottawa office on St. Laurent Blvd or at the border. We highly recommend the Port so you're not delaying your travel companions once you're headed south. If you don't register, you risk getting stuff, like your markers or somebody else's, confiscated on the border crossing into Canada until you prove somebody has already paid taxes and duty. Valuables without serial numbers, like scopes, can get a customs sticker recorded on the Y-38. Take your markers into the Customs Office in a bag or case. Talk to the staff about the markers not being guns before you pull them out and start waving gun-like objects in Government of Canada offices. Don't forget to pack your Y-38 with your ID or gear when you go. While you're at the Port or border, snag the pamphlet 'I Declare'. It describes your duty-free allowances and other helpful hints.

Get your US cash early and bring an A.T.M. card if you have one. Unless you like to get hosed at the border exchange places, do your banking here in town. Once you're in Long Island, good luck in finding a Bank that will: (a) deal with you, and (b) do exchange. Banks, trust companies and private companies charge different rates. Phone around for exchange rates (both Cash to Cash and Cash to Cheques) the day you're going to do banking. Traveller's cheques can be a pain in stores; bring only the cash you believe you will need. If you're going to use Traveller's Cheques, try converting your cash to US, then buy your Traveller's Cheques with US funds (this saves money sometimes). CAA members get American Express Cheques free, so do the cash thing, then go get your cheques. Check that your A.T.M. card works with American machines. Even then, with so many banks in the US, their network may not take your card. Interac and Interac Plus are different. Do I need to talk about waving large wads of cash in foreign countries where the locals have lots of real guns? If you paid for everything up-front, you don't need to bring a bunch of money, anyway. Cash is for food, munchies and fun stuff.

If you have any other questions shoot me a message and i should be able to answer them

steveg
10-19-2001, 07:06 AM
the only thing that needs to be added to CDN_Drews response
is that a US or Canadian birth certificate and Picture ID
(for those of us born here canada/us) is all the ID you
really need. otherwise a passport or citizenship will be
needed.
If you have a credit card (canadians) use it as much as
possible it will almost always give you the most favourable
exchange rate

otherwise follow drews advise exactly (not the part about
going to the Port of Ottawa though:D )

and remember MARKER not GUN canadian customs is even
more sensitive about this than us customs

CDN_Drew
10-19-2001, 12:44 PM
Thanks for the catch Steveg. I posted that when i got home from at 4:30am or so. AS far as ID goes. If your travelling in a group of 3 or 4 we have found it to be benficial (sp?) to put all of the pieces of ID on the dash in plain view of the custmos agent. This seems to help. WE had a few guys go down to Castle conquest a couple of weeks ago and they did not have any problems or hassels crossing into NY State.

MikeCouves
10-19-2001, 01:27 PM
The mini's working awesome Andrew! Haha, well that's a fair bit of info I think that helps alot!

MajorDamage
10-19-2001, 01:41 PM
Ive gone to Canada a bunch of times! Ive got a Canadian Flag on my wall I got last time I went to Canada. CANADA ROCKS! Except for the fact that Canadians put butter on everything :). But thats ok! And Ive also heard that they have milk in a bag in Canada, and slurpees made out of venosine! DEER SLURPIE!

ENDO!

Dubstar112
10-20-2001, 09:55 AM
hey if your crossing in to ny lmk, im 30 miles from the 1000 islands bridge :)