PDA

View Full Version : paintball cleats worth the money?

thump
07-14-2004, 10:40 PM
well ive been thinking about getting a pair of paintball cleats and was woundering if they are worth the money?the ones i have seen are a little expensive($100+).right now i have just been wearing my army boots but im thinking that the cleats will be a lot lighter,lol.
and also ,does it really make a difference between "paintball"cleats or are soccer cleats jsut as good?
anyone who wears/use to wear cleats please let me know what you think of them.
thanks

Automaget
07-14-2004, 10:42 PM
na i just use my football cleats, the only thing your paying for is the name of the cleat just buy some soccer or football cleats for alot less and you will be fine.

Chicago Pb 7
07-14-2004, 10:47 PM
I use my old airwalks, woot.

Torbo
07-14-2004, 10:51 PM
i wear dye atcs. I got em for 50 bucks, which is a little more than a pair of football cleats. I like them because theyre good on almost all surfaces.

$tevo
07-14-2004, 10:52 PM
yea i usually wear old etnies or running shoes..the pball cleats look alot more comfy then soccer cleats do. im not sure about football cleats, i dont play football, but i think 100+ is alot of money for cleats so im not going to purchase any

MayAMonkeyBeYourPinata
07-14-2004, 10:53 PM
Football cleats is what I would get soccer cleats aren't really right for paintball.

personman
07-14-2004, 11:00 PM
I bought ATCs and wore them all the time. I still use them. I'm not even sure how old they are, like a year and a half I think. They're starting to fall apart. I use them as my regular tennis shoes as well as paintball shoes so they get alot of wear. :)
I really dont see how the ATCs are any better than regular tennis shoes besides the zipper, thats pretty neat, but that comes on some tennis shoes as well if I'm not mistaken. There isnt a whole lot more traction with it..

dyeguy65
07-14-2004, 11:03 PM
i use reebok baseball cleats. picked em up for like...20 bucks. work fine.

guysdaman
07-14-2004, 11:04 PM
Get a pair of High top football cleats...much better than soccer. The high tops also give more ankle support. You can find these relatively cheap and they will perform just as well as the more expensive pb cleats.

gc82000
07-14-2004, 11:06 PM
I would just buy cleats that I know I would use for other things. Like I use soccer cleats for paintball, soccer and football. SO I get my moneys worth, the kind of cleats are the Nike total 90s and they may be $170 but they are used for so much. I recomend geting some cheaper cleats, I know places that sell good cleats for less the 40.

68magOwner
07-14-2004, 11:08 PM
i use vans for practice and addidas cleats for tournies

lonelymag
07-14-2004, 11:15 PM
The type of cleats you get should be determined by the ground that you usually play on. I played lacrosse in college and i had a few different pairs of cleats for different fields we played at. Screw in cleats are great for really thick, deep grass or mud. Molded cleats are usually a little lighter and good for your average grass. If you have ankle problems, then high tops help a little bit, i still sprained my ankle a few times and had to wear a brace but id say they're better than low tops. Now for paintball, the fields i mostly play at are really rough (hot, dry california valley) and if im running over rocks, hard packed dirt and just debris in general i want running shoes, cleats are terrible for hard pack or if youre stepping on a log or over a bunker. the paintball cleats that ive seen are a pretty soft molded clear, good for a lot of different surfaces, i wouldnt pay for them but ive heard good things.

Automaggot68
07-14-2004, 11:18 PM
Be wary of rocks, when palying recball! you can slip !

GotMag?
07-14-2004, 11:28 PM
there are things called turfs, they have a lot of small cleats and are really good for grass and dirt http://soccer.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=1&Section_Id=1017&pcount=&Product_Id=114376

magman007
07-15-2004, 12:04 AM
look, you should really look into the dye cleats. they are very high quality, and very comfortable. I belive they are on sale atm as well!

www.dyeprecision.com

AutomagRT1483
07-15-2004, 12:07 AM
Dye cleats definately. They dont make your feet feel like their loosing circulation like football cleats do. They are nice and wide.

Rather
07-15-2004, 12:17 AM
Football cleats is what I would get soccer cleats aren't really right for paintball.

Nope especially with those ugly overhanging tounges on them :tard:

That and they can and will give you blisteres if you don't wear thick enough socks.... :(

FSU_Paintball
07-15-2004, 01:11 AM
Just get some Nike football cleats when they go on sale. Less expensive and at least just as good.

(not the metal ones)

Empyreal Rogue
07-15-2004, 02:22 AM
Woot! Go old Etnies!

That's what I wear. :D

Enemy
07-15-2004, 02:39 AM
i wear tennis shoes but i wouldnt mind having cleats on some days.. the thing i notice everyone is saying get football go football cleats! dont that would be a mistake i would rather go with baseball for one reason alot of football cleats have spikes on the sides and back for more traction or cuz it looks cool..anyways those can dig into the ground and stick while the rest of your body is still moving and that is how one breaks a leg... its happened out at the feild guy wore football cleats for the longest time went to slide his cleat dug in and then snap there goes his ankle in a spiral fractor..now baseball there is a lot of sliding so baseball cleats have flat sides so they would work really well and would lessen the likleyhood of you snapping your ankle!!!

Thordic
07-15-2004, 08:17 AM
Soccer cleats are great for tournaments so long as it isn't rocky. I've used them in the woods too. I had a nice pair of Diadora's I used for lacrosse and paintball for years.

Nice and lightweight, your feet don't feel tired at the end of the day.

What does the tongue have to do with anything? As for thick socks, I wear normal socks with soccer cleats and I never had a problem.

I didn't buy them for paintball though, they were for lacrosse. I think they were around $80.

Now I have a pair of real cheap football cleats that I think cost $20. They are for paintball, and they work fine.

TheTramp
07-15-2004, 09:51 AM
Now I have a pair of real cheap football cleats that I think cost $20. They are for paintball, and they work fine.

I wore soccer cleats for years (I played soccer, go figure) but I switched to football cleats for paintball for the ankle support.

Like Thordic, I got a pair Really cheap at a big sporting goods store and they've lasted two seasons so far. Not a bad investment IMHO

tony3
07-15-2004, 09:58 AM
Personally, I'd suggest baseball cleats over foootball.Better for sprinting imo. I buy all the cleats I have at play it again sports, I think that might only be a chicago land store. They sell used cleats. 10 bucks can get you a nice pair of cleats.

C_22
07-15-2004, 10:27 AM
Go for American Football Blitz cleats. Less than $30 bux and will outlast any PB cleat out there (not that there are that many).

thump
07-15-2004, 11:14 AM
well ive been looking for football cleats here in Canada since reading all your posts.the cheapest football cleat i have found has been like $80!

ghideon
07-15-2004, 11:30 AM
I use an old pair of mid top Mizuno Softball cleats. Couldn't tell you what I paid for em 4 years ago.

Battlewear
07-15-2004, 12:14 PM
Hi there..

In the past when I used to play tourney ball I had 3 different pairs of cleats..

The first pair was my Standard Football cleat. It had large thick cleats, was great for bush ball, got good traction and helped me move a little faster because the bottoms where not bogged down with mud and such.

The second pair of cleats I had was Artifical Turf Cleats, they worked awesome for playing indoors on floors that are slippery or on hard packed surfaces where it was hard to get grip. The artifical turf cleats have tons and tons of tiny little cleats that are very soft (at least mine where) so I was able to get amazing starts because of the extra grip. The only bad part was that some times when turning they seemed like they wanted to stick to the floor.. LOL..

My third pair of cleats where a custom done football cleat. I say custom done because I modified the cleats to suit my needs. Basically it was in between the Standard cleat and the Artifical cleat. The shoe started out as a standard but I modified it to have shorter stubbier cleats but because it was a standard cleat to start with there was only a few of them..

Over all I would suggest checking around, your best friend is the phone.. Jump on the phone and start calling around like crazy.. Call every shoe store, find out who has what and for what price.

Another avenue to take is if you have a local pro football team or soccer team or baseball team then call the PR department.. I only suggest this because this is what I have had to do in the past due to large size of shoe I require ( I take a 15 1/2 EEEE, yes, that is 4 E's!!)..
One good thing about calling them at the end of the season, some times they have shoes they brought in for the players that never used them, they go up for sale.. Or at least they do here, and the prices are AWESOME! A friend of mine got 3 pairs of turf cleats for 50$ Canadian.. Now please understand, a standard Artifical Turf cleat is normally around 100 to 150.00 for the pair!! So 3 pairs for 50 was amazing!!

That is my suggestions for shoes.. But last is look at where you will be playing the most, if it is outdoors on a rocky surface get a smaller cleat, a muddy surface is a bigger cleat, indoors is a turf shoe..

Just my 2 cents worth :)
:)

logamus
07-15-2004, 12:57 PM
a guy last saturday night was wearing old man house slippers. it made me giggle.

thecavemankevin
07-15-2004, 01:27 PM
i use reebok baseball cleats. picked em up for like...20 bucks. work fine.

ditto sorta, i have been using the same pair of reebok turf shoes (sorta like cleats only better) for several different sports since 99...??? They are looking pretty shabby now, and i will probably pick up another pair sooner or later, but they work excellent.

Trina
07-15-2004, 06:42 PM
I kinda like my white girly football cleates. Not only are they cute (haha) but they work great and I only paid $20. BUT....if I wear them too long I almost always get blisters. :rolleyes:

Because of this, I don't like them for scenerio games....that's when I love a light hiker (about $80, by Merrell)--great tread, and they're made to be comfortable for running OR walking for LONG periods of time.

Just remember cheaper is not always better ;)

MarkM
07-15-2004, 07:12 PM
I have gone through several different types of shoe for paintball, I started using basketball high tops ($150), then shifted to lightweight super cheap hiking shoes ($15), then onto DM's($80) (Doc Martins.. I don't know if they are sold in the US) then I used german paratrooper boots ($15) and then I went with Tanels ($100), then onto Nike Air sharks ($25) then Nike Airmax mid ($45) and finally I use Reebok Astroturf high tops and when the ground is softer or wet under foot Reebok high top football cleats...american football not soccer. the Reeboks both cost me $25 each at the Reebok clearence store in Orlando.
You might have noticed a theme here with high tops..well I value my ankles and have turned my ankle several times even with High tops but only seriously the twice, the mid shoe I turned my ankle on the second time of wearing them so they got swapped out immediately loads of other times the high tops have saved me. It is your body so your choice.

daviselk
07-15-2004, 07:28 PM
Just remember cheaper is not always better ;)

I have a nice pair of mid-top football cleats that are sweet. they set me back a good 70 bucks but they havnt worn down at all and they fit good. they are to small for me now, so they give me blisters sometimes but beides that, they are great. RIGHT ON TRINA

azza
07-15-2004, 10:54 PM
I use a trusty pair of slazenger street/skate shoes, that i got new for about $30NZ :) They've had over a years worth of general use plus paintballing and only now falling apart.

Cheers
Azza

minimag03
07-15-2004, 10:58 PM
well ive been thinking about getting a pair of paintball cleats and was woundering if they are worth the money?the ones i have seen are a little expensive($100+).right now i have just been wearing my army boots but im thinking that the cleats will be a lot lighter,lol.
and also ,does it really make a difference between "paintball"cleats or are soccer cleats jsut as good?
anyone who wears/use to wear cleats please let me know what you think of them.
thanks

I use soccer cleats. They do their job, and I don't see how paintball cleats would do any better. The only difference is that the pb cleats might designed to get some bonces.

minimag03

AGDlover
07-15-2004, 11:02 PM
i got me some ATC's and i'm lovein em

LeatherPants
07-16-2004, 12:13 AM
Dye ATC

I bought a pair of HiTec boots. Didn't have the traction I needed.

Adidas football cleats. Worked well but would hurt my feet after 8-9 hours of play.

Dye ATC. Great grip on all kinds of terrain. MOST COMFORTABLE shoes for paintball.

Athius
07-16-2004, 01:00 AM
Well i use Umbro soccer cleats which costed me only $20 in Champs sports they are very light weight, durable and they help me get more impulse in the off the break.

Plus it matches my teams uniform perfectly. :)

ProX9
07-16-2004, 05:53 AM
Well i use Umbro soccer cleats which costed me only $20 in Champs sports they are very light weight, durable and they help me get more impulse in the off the break.

Plus it matches my teams uniform perfectly. :)
oh yeah i got my reebok baseball cleats for how much..... nothing!!!! my friend gave out all his old cleats and one pair fit me perfectly, so if you have friends do the friendly thing and mooch off their ***!!

Hairball
07-16-2004, 07:53 AM
I agree with the comment about the Merrells, I had a pair of those and loved them. For speedball though I'd use a pair of off-road running shoes like these.

TheDuelist
07-16-2004, 01:11 PM
I used to wear a pair of nike football cleats until I bought a pair of Diggers at Cup a couple of years ago. I love them. They are comfortable and have held up extremely well so far. I would recommend them to anyone.