PDA

View Full Version : Search for Bobby Fischer ends

Havoc_online
07-16-2004, 02:33 AM
:ninja:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5447613

Muzikman
07-16-2004, 02:44 AM
This news must be breaking Miscue's heart:)

Steelrat
07-16-2004, 03:02 AM
Your tax dollars at work. I think he was #2 on the FBI's most wanted list.

ryanshep
07-16-2004, 03:07 AM
grandmaster at 15 thats impressive, it says "He was world chess champion until 1975, when he forfeited the title and withdrew because conditions he demanded proved unacceptable to the International Chess Federation." #1 i had no idea there was an itnernational chess federation, and #2 i wonder what his demands would be? what could u demand? :argh: i want my chess pieces only made out of solid diamonds, im a 15 year old grand master! :argh:

oldsoldier
07-16-2004, 08:11 AM
Bobby is an eccentric. I dont recall exactly what he demanded, but I do remember thinking the guy was whacked.

Thordic
07-16-2004, 08:43 AM
He's wanted for playing a CHESS MATCH for gods sake. Let the guy go. It was 12 years ago. The statute of limitations on chess is longer than for rape?

_tMAN
07-16-2004, 08:43 AM
That's still a stupid reason to get him jailed

Deep Sixx
07-16-2004, 08:46 AM
...but I do remember thinking the guy was whacked.

Uhh... yeah. Read this. (http://www.portal.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2001/12/02/wfisc02.xml&sSheet=/news/2001/12/02/ixhome.html)

sixx

sharpshooter1286
07-16-2004, 09:14 AM
i want to say our government sucks...and crap like this is just plain silly. why does it seem like our country has the mind set of a 5 yr old bratty kid? everyone sues people about something if they dont like it, and they act like little children and stuff like that. the guy is gonna get that much time in jail for playing a chess match!?!?!? way to hold a grudge eh? its good to know my parents are paying taxes to fund crap like this. shouldnt we be working on finding osama or some other terrorist not looking for a guy who played a chess match?

Muzikman
07-16-2004, 09:36 AM
Uhh... yeah. Read this. (http://www.portal.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2001/12/02/wfisc02.xml&sSheet=/news/2001/12/02/ixhome.html)

sixx

Hmm..ok, I dunno if I can trust a news agency that doesn't know how to spell or close a damn quote. Do they not proof read what they right?

EDIT: That does not mean he didn't do it...just pointing out bad reporting.

Miscue
07-16-2004, 01:06 PM
Judit Pulgar, a female... became a grand master faster than Bobby did - I think she has the record. She beat Karpov in an exhibition once, the guy Bobby was supposed to play when he decided not to show up.

ß?µ£ §mµ®ƒ
07-16-2004, 01:21 PM
Can someone give me a breif history on this guy, im so confused, and #2 for what on fbi list and why

PissedGodzilla
07-16-2004, 02:04 PM
Cue, I played against both of the Polgar sisters, I got my *** handed to me. Yes I am a chess geek. 1997 Amatuer U.S. East Champion!! yay go geek me!! lol

Miscue do you play? do you have a rating? we should play sometime!

Yes Judit got there faster, but Bobby was unbeatable back in the day... his ability to look twenty plus moves into a situuation and win was more than anyone has ever done.

Briefly, Bobby Fischer is the genius of chess, his entire life was chess, and it basically broke him as a man. He couldn't take the stress, so he jetted. I was lucky enough to see him play those games in yugoslavia. He didn't lose a step after years of not playing. He's just an eccentric old man now, it's too bad the demons got to him.

Halliday
07-16-2004, 02:05 PM
This guy is almost as bad as Martha Stewart and those darn jerks that park outside the lines!

PissedGodzilla
07-16-2004, 02:07 PM
Can someone give me a breif history on this guy, im so confused, and #2 for what on fbi list and why

He's not actually # 2 that was just a sacrastic statement. He was wanted because he played the chess match in Yugoslavia in 1992 when Yugoslavia was under U.N. sanctions due to the whol Bosnia-Herzegovinia stuff.

He basically broke the sanction as a professional chess player I think.. Technically doing business and all.. A bunch of crap... our taxdollars at work.

BobTheCow
07-16-2004, 02:13 PM
Hmm..ok, I dunno if I can trust a news agency that doesn't know how to spell or close a damn quote. Do they not proof read what they right?
Yeah, how DARE they not proofread what they <i>write</i>, or spell <i>right</i>... ;)

Havoc_online
07-16-2004, 03:16 PM
That other site also has its facts wrong. His age, where he was, and how much he won. I think the whole article is bogus. He's too private to have said all that.

Kevmag
07-16-2004, 03:24 PM
That other site also has its facts wrong. His age, where he was, and how much he won. I think the whole article is bogus. He's too private to have said all that.

AP has some of the same statements including 9/11 comments, anti-semitic statements, ect.... Doesn't mean he said them, but Associated Press is a pretty legit source...

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/japan_bobby_fischer

Miscue
07-16-2004, 03:58 PM
Cue, I played against both of the Polgar sisters, I got my *** handed to me. Yes I am a chess geek. 1997 Amatuer U.S. East Champion!! yay go geek me!! lol

Miscue do you play? do you have a rating? we should play sometime!

Yes Judit got there faster, but Bobby was unbeatable back in the day... his ability to look twenty plus moves into a situuation and win was more than anyone has ever done.

Briefly, Bobby Fischer is the genius of chess, his entire life was chess, and it basically broke him as a man. He couldn't take the stress, so he jetted. I was lucky enough to see him play those games in yugoslavia. He didn't lose a step after years of not playing. He's just an eccentric old man now, it's too bad the demons got to him.

I haven't had an established rating for about 11 years. I scored with first in the equivalent of state high school tourny for seniors, and top 20 in All America Cup Scholastic - but no "real" tournies, just kid stuff. When I was playing frequently, I estimate 1600-1700 for regular games and 1900 roughly for 1 minute games... pretty pathetic really, but I was briefly interested in chess. Now I don't play and do other things... I'll play for fun once in a while, but never seriously again.

After chess, or perhaps partly concurrently, I did bowling for a while, and gave up on it when I hit a slump with an ABC-sanctioned 200 average... then I moved to table tennis which I still do about 1-2 times a week, I think I'm around 1500 roughly and getting better... and it's a good workout, unlike chess. :D

Miscue
07-16-2004, 04:00 PM

Urm... it's inline with previous things he's said. He's a genius on the chessboard, kind of a trippy whacko... anti-semite, super paranoid... etc. off the board. The recent stuff he said, is consistent for Fischer, and I don't doubt it... he's been saying the same kinda stuff for years.

Havoc_online
07-16-2004, 04:19 PM
ah, I did not know that....

:tard:

davidb
07-17-2004, 03:04 AM

EDIT: That does not mean he didn't do it...just pointing out bad reporting.

Ummm... First, they were correct in not closing the quotes in the instances where they didn't, as the quotes were continued in the following paragraphs, without anything in between. Second, I didn't see anything misspelled, though I admittedly don't know the correct spellings of some of the names of the people and places mentioned in the report. What did you see that was spelled wrong? :confused:

Anyway, not trying to be contentious, but you might reconsider whether or not it's "bad reporting".