PDA

View Full Version : barrel kit question

eNder159
07-16-2004, 08:24 PM
i did a search and none came up with a specific answer that im looking for...

is there anypoint in buying a barrel kit for an open bolt gun (a mag) because i heard they were only good for closed bolt guns (cocker) because of detent issues...was there a whole issue about how the paint travels down the barrel via paint to barrel match...because i heard that the ironmen shoot .692 barrels with small bore paint...now im all sorts of confused because ive always thought paint to barrel match was always a good thing...or maybe just visiting Pbnation has confused me so much

afultz075
07-16-2004, 08:28 PM
It doesn't matter as much with open bolts, a kit would increase your effecieny and your accuracy a little, but it's up to you whether or not you want to shell out the extra cash for a kit on an open bolt really. Personally, I use a .689 CP 1-piece Classic on my mags and it's accurate enough for me with the paints I use.

Torbo
07-17-2004, 10:11 AM
if you match the paint to the barrel, youll get better efficiency. That said, i use a .688 dye ultralight on my timmy no matter what paint im shooting. It works just as well, and saved money and its easy.

Lohman446
07-17-2004, 10:15 AM
Under ideal and hypothetical circumstances there may be some gain in barrel kits that the barrels are within .001 of each other - in reality it is unlikely.

I personally shoot a .690 barrel most of the time, it shoots most everything. I do have a .695 barrel for certain situations, and a .683 barrel as well. They come out about once a year or less.

Your problem is the tolerances on paint are not as tight as they could be... you might size paint in a bag at .686 only to find some of the balls are .684 and others are .688 or whatever. Perfectly sizing your barrel to .686 may cause you issues. Since I am dealing with an open bolt gun and effective detents, I shoot a larger size than what I expect to encounter in the bag, and have few problems. I may effect my consistancy and accuracy to some degree, but nothing that would be ntoiceable in a real world (gun not clamped in a windless vacuum lab) situation.