PDA

View Full Version : Freak

bsusigep18
10-18-2001, 12:29 AM
How many of you guys out there have the Freak? Is it really worth the money? Ok, stupid question, i've heard 2 or 3 people say it isn't that great, but do i need all the inserts? Unfortunately my mag project has put me waaay in the red and im being as careful with my money as possible. You'd think being a $1000 in debt i'd take some time off from buy stuff for my baby, but nope...not gonna happen:D Thanks guys.

Cha0tic
10-18-2001, 07:16 AM
if you are looking to be careful with your money, don't get the freak. i would recommend the freak if you play very often and take part in tournies. if you are just a rec player, its probably not worth it.

bsusigep18
10-18-2001, 11:17 AM
Thats what i figured, but i don't want to be a rec player. I figure if i dump tons of money into my gun, then i'll HAVE to play in some tournaments, no matter how bad i am. Kind of like old bald guys getting really really nice cars, have to make up for my inadequacy, I.E. my ability to shoot paint accurately before my mask is painted a different color. Another thing, it is impossible to find reliable people to start a team with...frustrating.

Ityl
10-18-2001, 11:17 AM
Freak? talk to Chaos, hehe.

Freak is worth the money, if you have the money. A $50 big shot is also worth the money though too. You could wait because prices might come down even a lil more.

Load SM5
10-18-2001, 11:32 AM
A freak is worth it if your constantly shooting different paint or if you have a problem with paint being affected by weather, humidity, etc. That's why I have one and it works great. If you are shooting the same paint all the time and it stays pretty consistant then I would'nt spend the money.

rightsidefight
10-18-2001, 03:40 PM
if you think dumpig crazy amounts of money into your gun will make you good your wrong.me and a friend started playing at the same time.i got a spyder he got a cocker.while i learned aboutthe machanics of the guns and progressed he was in the shop fixing his gun or spending more money on it.as i moved up i got my mag stock and he still had his 1300 gun that he had to bring in for a simple o-ring change.i now have about 1500 into my gun and the local newbies and little kids wont even lay with him beacause of he lack of skill with his gun and on the feild due to his time in theshops.so before you get a 1000 dollar gun to make you "pro" get good with a 98 or a stock gun.itll be worth it in the end.

bsusigep18
10-18-2001, 03:46 PM
ok...im not sure if that was meant as advice or a slap in the face. My comment about spending money to make myself better was a rhetorical comment that wasn't meant to be taken seroiusly. I'd consider myself a rather intelligent person, i was just looking for opinions on whether or not people have had as much success with the freak as i've heard. Now, if i misread you, i apologize, otherwise...thank you for the lecture, but i'd rather not be a pro for that matter, i just like having the best of the best. Thanks, and yes, i did get a freak, just ordered it. SS back 10" Blue AA front.

Zorminster
10-18-2001, 06:09 PM
Lol, I love the lecture and agree totally-- my friends all came in on mags, spyders (SE), and cockers... Some of them are really good and took time to become knowledgeable (the mag guy and our team captain... one in the same no less.) I personnally came in on a stingray 2... because i got all the ridicule imaginable i did every HOME modification i possibly could, this taught me alot about airsmithing techniques and other things. I moved up to a 98 and now im getting a stock mag (w/ expansion chamber). I know all there is basically about the 98 outside the realm of the valve itself. Ive done lots of mods on it and am 3x better than people who didnt learn about their guns. Now to the freak part-
What front is the best for a mag? ill be shooting 32* TC, Zap Performance, and 32* Competition grade. Also which inserts should i get for that paint? I am on a local tourney team thats still in the lower realms of the tourney scene but were evolving. Im very serious about paintball as its my only excersise =P I was wondering also, if i tried to save some $$$$ what barrel would be good? Lapco Bigshot or J&J Ceramic-- if ceramic what length 12 or 14'?
thanks guys!

[NA]WARLORD
10-18-2001, 08:23 PM
if you want a freak, you can buy the basic kit for around 130 and get one insert. you can purchase additional inserts at 20.00 ea., if you shoot different paints you should get the whole kit. as for the tips i prefer the teardrop over the all american as all the holes are at the end and make it easier to clean. when purchasing a barrell system (freak) add 1.5 inches to the length i.e if you want a 14in. barrell, get a 12in. tip, this will bring total barrell length to 13.5 inches, auto/minimag barrells are 1.5 inches longer due to maching. this is why they cost more than other freak barrells.

alf
10-18-2001, 09:41 PM
i have a tricked mag as my primary gun, and an STO as my backup...whats cool about the freak, is that, since i have the kit, if i want a freak for my STO, all i need to do is buy the $65 back and i have a complete freak for the STO...

well, maybe it IS a little expensive!!:confused:

dawump
10-19-2001, 12:07 AM
Whether or not a freak is a good investment for you is about your current barrel to paint match - it has nothing to do with your skill level, and even less to do with whether or not your friend bought an cocker.

Is a freak worth it to you? The answer is YES if the barrel(s) you currently play with invariably don't match the paint you play with. It is my experience that with a Mag, the major issue is shooting paint that is too big for the barrel. The result is that the distortions in the paintball make an eratic flight. Paint that is too small isn't so much of a problem. It might be inneficient gas wise, but because of the nubin won't drop straight out of the barrel.

In summary, regardless of how good you are or what type of game you play - if your results are x out of 10 with mediocre paint to barrel matches then your game will go to x+1 or x+2 out of 10 with the Freak.

Keith