PDA

View Full Version : sydarm

rightsidefight
10-18-2001, 01:10 PM
whats up tom.you are my idol. youve done so many good things fo the sport and your ideas get better each day.i was think though.you guys should make a sidearm like the agd sydearm but sell them not only to police and millitary but to everyone.also you should make them cheaper in price like the pt extremes, yet customizable like your mag line.i was able to find a used sydearm for sale but due to thre rareity, the were askin as much as a regular p/f mag.please reply back and tink about my idea.

gimp
10-18-2001, 01:42 PM
I think it costs AGD a lot to make a sydarm, so they don't make much profit off them. Oh, and learn to type a little better. It's hard to understand.

rightsidefight
10-18-2001, 01:47 PM
dont complain about my typeing.if you dont like i dont reply.

X-Plosive
10-18-2001, 02:23 PM
hmm the sydarm was offered to the public at one time but it was so costly that it was pointless. No matter what, if AGD made a sidearm the minimum price would be $350. By the way, you were not being flamed about your typing. You shold learn to accept constructive criticism rather than complaining and bickering over it.

Webmaster
10-18-2001, 04:08 PM
Aside from me saying that they dont make great paintball guns - people still want them.

I think that the only reason that AGD even sells them, is that they make a ton of money off of agencies using thier perfect circle paintballs. Its kind of like how printers are so cheap, but the ink costs a fortune. I am sure thier profit margin on the sydarm is slim, but the paint to feed them they make ok on.

Cha0tic
10-18-2001, 09:00 PM
webby, you nailed it. the sydarm isn't all that great. you'd have better luck trying to convert your mag into a stock class mag.

hardr0ck68
10-21-2001, 08:31 PM
ok now correct me if im wrong but isnt the sydarm just a mag...i mean as far as i knew thew cost as much as a mag cause they used 99% the same parts it just has a different body design and a place for 12grams. I would like one just because they are rare finds. whats this about the paint? if the gun is made to take.68 paint then any companys paint will work (i never even heard of agd making paint, if they do its probably contracted out to another company that already makes paint...) i have heard roumors that the valve in the sydarm was made different to be more efficent on 12 grams, but thats just what i heard not what i know.

Muzikman
10-21-2001, 09:37 PM
The Sydarm reg is different. It is smaller and does not have the side inlet hole for air. I'll take a pic of my Sydarm ripped a part and you wil be able to see the difference.

Shaft
10-25-2001, 11:58 AM
I would like to see the Sydarm become available. This area of paintball may pick up in popularity. Kind of a modified stock class.
CO2 cartridges make it easy to play on unsanctioned fields.

I bought a PT Professional for the hell of it. It was a neat gun. I recently sold it, and picked up a warp instead. I never used it and it attracted too much attention.

I guess the reality is that for most rec players the Sydarm would be nothing more than an expensive novelty.

rightsidefight
10-25-2001, 12:28 PM
pt profesional?is hat newer then the pt extreme?or older then the enforcer?

Temo Vryce
10-25-2001, 01:42 PM
People use the "Prefect Circle" balls with the sidearm because they are made to be perfectly round and can be filled with stuff other than the usuall paint fill. I have heard that some millitary agencies use them with a water fill because there is no mess to clean up. They don't offer these balls to paintballers because the cost per ball is quite high and I don't think any paintball player is willing to pay upwards of $0.50 per ball. I don't have the web page for the perfect circle balls but I'm sure that someone here has it and will post it for you. I hope this helps you out.

Shaft
10-25-2001, 02:25 PM
Perfect circle use a plastic shell that can be filled with different stuffs.
They are no better than gelatin paintballs in roundness etc.
They are more expensive and pointless to use in paintball.
There was a thread on this elsewhere a day or two ago including a link to the site.

The PT Professional is Paintball-Online's version of the Punisher. An improved version of an Enforcer. Mine was able to shoot 260fps regularly. And it wasn't bad for accuracy.

rightsidefight
10-25-2001, 02:38 PM
y do people think sydarms only work with perfect circle? perfect circle are the same exact thing as regular paintballs only plastic.

do you have a link were i can see the pt proffesional?

Shaft
10-25-2001, 02:55 PM
www.paintball-online.com

That should get you to where you want to be. Also do a search for a site called the Sidearm Enthusiast's blah blah something or other (I forget exactly). Interesting stuff.

rightsidefight
10-25-2001, 02:58 PM
thanks

GallagherAtWar
11-11-2001, 12:40 PM
On ebay people sell them.

I saw 1 for 400 and another for 495

Stompy
12-11-2001, 10:40 PM
With a little work a pseudo sydarm could certainly be made, if you have the right equipment, supplies, and know-how. All you would need is a classic mag, feed tube w/spring and leader, and some sort of a 12g adapter and either welding equipment or some other means of affixing everything.

But when you are done you'd just have ended up spending about equal to the amount you might be able to pick up a Sydarm for, only your PseudoSydarm would be possibly less efficient, less self-contained, and it wouldn't have any sort of AGD novelty nostalgia. Basically, if you want a Sydarm buy one, but if you just want a decent semi pistol, get a PT Extreme, or a Palmer Squall for that matter, if you have the money.

TheBigRaguPB4L
12-12-2001, 12:55 AM
how inefficiant(sp?) would 12 grams be on a stock mag? i had it all planned in my head it would only cost about $275. can a stock mag run on 12 grams? i thought it was co2 all the same? someone fill me in.

edweird
12-12-2001, 10:59 AM
Oh this is what AGD should do....

IMO agd should sell the sydarm body seperatly and all of us can stop our holy quest for the long lost mag. Or here how about this... create a new sydarm body with a hose that goes from your existing oldschool valve to a vm-68 style 12 gram holder(heck steal the pt extreme design but put a air line down the side like the minimag).

All rights reserved. Rebroadcasts and reproductions are unauthorized without expressed written consent from the NFL and genius behind this brainstorm... (c)

Muzikman
12-12-2001, 11:47 AM
The problem you then have is you would need to rebuild the 12gram puncture pin assembly. Also, once you start getting large external hoses, you now no longer have a sidearm style gun. People also miss the point that Mags hate CO2, 12grams = CO2, there for they are not that great. They freeze up and really eat gas. If you fire 2 or 3 bps, you might get 6 shots before you freeze the valve and 12gram. You then have to wait for the 12gram to warm up again before you can get any more shots off. The thing about the Sydarm is that it is not worth the valve that is in the gun. It's a novelty item, that people buy to be different. If you want to own one because it is better than a PT, then you will be disappointed.

TheBigRaguPB4L
12-12-2001, 11:51 AM
well, what you could do is put the asa under the valve where they put those 2 holes instead of having it back bottle. put the 12gram adapter in the asa so you'd have a stock mag with just the 12gram running behind it. like i said, my only question would be how bad do stock mags run on 12grams

wyn1370
12-12-2001, 12:47 PM
I've got a quick change that I used to run verticle on my minimag. It never had any serious problems. But I never used it for an extended period of time. It used to get about 20 shots too.

Muzikman
12-12-2001, 01:00 PM
Just buy a 6-Pak+ and be done with it:) no, seriously, a Mag on 12grams is pretty sick. When you do any more of rapid fire, you freeze the 12gram. I have had many 12grams get only 6 or 7 shots before the ball just rolls out of the barrel. The problem is ther eis still co2 left, it's just in the solid state (dry ice). You have to wait for it to warm up before you can shoot again. I have run mags off CO2 for years, but a Mag on CO2 is pretty bad. Even my pump Mag will freeze up 12grams some times and I have gone through a lot of things to try to prevent it.
No, when I was at the AGD tour, I did see a really neat idea on how to hook a 12gram up. This just simply used a 90degree elbow on the AIR, a puncure pin assembaly was screwed onto the elbo. It then had a thumb adjusting nut bracket soldered to the side of the main body. All you had to do was slap in a 12gram, tighen the thumb adjuster, this pushed the 12gram into the puncure pin and gased up the gun. It looked very simple and kind of cool. I have pix on my PC at home that I will post as soon as I get a damn internet connection at home again.

edweird
12-12-2001, 01:07 PM
As far as I have seen the mag's blow forward design is the only gun (other than a pump) that can get any more than 15 shots with a 12 gram. Yes there are problems with freezing but there is always that problem in colder enviroments. But I would still like one because freezing is not a problem at my home fields in phoenix.

bring on the John Woo ball!!!
Ed

Muzikman
12-12-2001, 01:16 PM
The out side temp does not have much to do with it when you are talking about 12grams. They will freeze up just due to the small amount of CO2. You would be fine if you shot a ball ever second or two, you start getting much faster than that and you really kill the efficiency. Just from the air escaping from the 12gram so fast, it will freeze up. Warmer outdoor temp will make it turn from solid to liquid to gas much faster, but I don't think enough.

rhetor22
12-12-2001, 03:01 PM
i think automags are small enough, they practically are a side arm. The plastic paintballs would have the advantage of a much longer shell life though, correct?

Doobie
12-12-2001, 03:23 PM
The reason the Sydarms are so $$$ is (and this is from TK) there is a MICROSCOPIC o-ring or seal between the 12g and the valve. TK said it would be too expensive to replace one of these seals if the gun were sent in. These seals would not take the abuse a player would put on them, they would fail, be sent back to AGD to be replaced at a large cost, and then AGD reputation goes down the tubes.
Also, AGD makes their own paintballs, they are not contracted out. I've seen them and so has anyone who was on the tour.
The Sydarm is used at the end of the original Automag video emptying a 10 round tube, very fast. That's great, but in operation, if you were to try and quickly reload and fire again you would get it to freeze up. The gun was meant for cops/SRTs to enter a situation react then relax, talk through what happened, watch the video, then try it again. Plenty of time for the valve to warm up. Just not practical for rec-ball. There is a blowforward type pistol out there, the name just escapes me at the moment, that is designed for Rec-ball and scenarios.

Muzikman
12-12-2001, 03:27 PM
Never had a problem with the oring in the 12gram changing plug, but have had problems with the regulator orings that seal between the body and the reg. I have a bad one and it leaks pretty bad right now. I didn't bother asking if they could repair it at the tour, but one of these days I'll see if I can get a new one. And I can see everything you said being correct except that a Sydarm is an 8 shot not a 10 shot :)

Doobie
12-12-2001, 04:24 PM
Thanks, I knew it was a round number! :D

Demonio
02-06-2002, 02:06 AM
So does anybody have pics of Modified Mags to resemble the Sydarm? I'd like to see 1

Butterfingers
02-06-2002, 02:15 AM
Originally posted by hardr0ck68
ok now correct me if im wrong but isnt the sydarm just a mag...i mean as far as i knew thew cost as much as a mag cause they used 99% the same parts it just has a different body design and a place for 12grams. I would like one just because they are rare finds. whats this about the paint? if the gun is made to take.68 paint then any companys paint will work (i never even heard of agd making paint, if they do its probably contracted out to another company that already makes paint...) i have heard roumors that the valve in the sydarm was made different to be more efficent on 12 grams, but thats just what i heard not what i know.

AGD manufactures plastic shelled perfect circle paintballs in house. They are the only paintball that can hold water based products and chemicals such as tear gas and oleoresin capsicum. They dont sell these to the public because they are EXTREMELY expensive to make.

Demonio
02-06-2002, 02:30 AM
But if you had the Doe to waist on them, Could you have them fill them with alcohol or something cool like that?? :D