PDA

View Full Version : The Army's Potential SMP Program

robertjuric
07-19-2004, 04:04 PM
I'm strongly considering joining the Army under the Potential SMP program. I'm not sure how many are aware of it. But basically I would go to basic after highschool, but not AIT, so I'd be undeployable. Then I'd get tuition assisstance for school. I'd also have have a reserve job as a cadet in a unit local to whatever school I choose.

There is a local Military Junior College, the Marion Military Institute, that has an ECP program where when I graduate'd there, I'd have an early commission as a 2nd Lt in my reserve job. So I could then transfer to a 4year school to finish up and I'd for my reserve job I'd actually be a 2nd Lt already instead of just a cadet. Then after that I can either sign a contract to go Active or Reserves.

I know that hindsight is always 20/20 so if anyone else has any advice they'd like to throw in, I'm all ears.

Sinistarr
07-19-2004, 04:52 PM
Read the fine print, and see how long you would have to be signed up for after college.

oldsoldier
07-19-2004, 08:24 PM
Read the fine print, and see how long you would have to be signed up for after college.
Normally, you would have a six year commitment (army) after college. Although, being commisioned in school, I have no idea if that will affect it or not.

Ironmag
07-19-2004, 08:40 PM
Don't hold me to this but I remember my dad, who was in the Army in the 60's, telling me that if you are a commisioned officer, you are an officer for life and may be recalled if they need you. I have thought about going into OCS after I graduate college in the past and there I would also become a 2nd Lieutenant upon completion of basic training.

Mister Sinister
07-20-2004, 02:01 AM
SMP stands for Simultaneous Membership Program. If Iam not mistaken what it does is allow people who are already in the guard or the reserves that are in college also participate in the ROTC program so after college they then can go on to be a commisioned officer. I know that it requires an 8 year contract after college. There are a couple of different ways of getting into the program. You can go to basics and AIT then you start college and do ROTC and the SMP program from there. Which isnt a bad idea if you dont go to AIT you wont be able to recieve the GI bill for college. You dont sign the SMP contract until you are in your Junior or senior year of college. At this time you become undeployable. If you dont sign the contract and didnt attend AIT you have the option of leaving the guard/reserves. Clear as mud? and a small disclaimer this info was given to me by a recruiter so I may have understood him wrong or he may have been putting gloss on certain things and a little smoke and mirrors on others. My only question is what is your ultimate destination that you have in mind for your career? Do you want a career as a military officer or were you after assistance with school?

robertjuric
07-20-2004, 08:19 AM
SMP stands for Simultaneous Membership Program. If Iam not mistaken what it does is allow people who are already in the guard or the reserves that are in college also participate in the ROTC program so after college they then can go on to be a commisioned officer. I know that it requires an 8 year contract after college. There are a couple of different ways of getting into the program. You can go to basics and AIT then you start college and do ROTC and the SMP program from there. Which isnt a bad idea if you dont go to AIT you wont be able to recieve the GI bill for college. You dont sign the SMP contract until you are in your Junior or senior year of college. At this time you become undeployable. If you dont sign the contract and didnt attend AIT you have the option of leaving the guard/reserves. Clear as mud? and a small disclaimer this info was given to me by a recruiter so I may have understood him wrong or he may have been putting gloss on certain things and a little smoke and mirrors on others. My only question is what is your ultimate destination that you have in mind for your career? Do you want a career as a military officer or were you after assistance with school?

You're right for the most part. It basically allows be to be enrolled in college and the reserves at the same time. I go to basic the summer of my senior year, but don't attend AIT. That keeps me from being deployable. Then while I'm in college I take ROTC classes and have a job in the reserves as a cadet.

I know I'd like to do some time in the military, this I'm sure of. I also know that if I go into the military I a.) want to be an officer and b.) have a degree before I go in. So this sounds really good to me. I could get an ROTC scholarship, but as stupid as it sounds, I'd almost like to go to Basic before school to whip me into shape. I don't want to be one of those prick officers like everyone heres horror stories about.