PDA

View Full Version : Out of Tolerance LX Orings?

Koosh
07-19-2004, 04:12 PM
I have a rather strange problem...

I somehow lost all my spare LX parts... I only had some extra shims, the .5 carrier in my gun, and the short and long spring... So I order a 0, 1, 1.5, 2 carrier, 3 more LX orings, along with alot of other Misc parts from AGD.

I've used the oring currently in the gun for almost a year now, and it seemed pretty tight, so I figured I'd switch Orings and go up a carrier... Put a new oring in the new 1 carrier and it leaked real bad... put the new oring in the .5 carrier, still leaked... put it in the zero carrier, still leaked.

I tried that with all 3 LX orings I ordered from AGD, none of them sealed on any of the carriers I had. Only the old Oring I have which seems like its way too tight on the .5 carrier, then leaks on the 1 carrier will work...

Did I just get a bad batch of the LX orings?

Running a classic valve with a nitroduck tank...

trains are bad
07-19-2004, 04:15 PM
take your shims out, see what happens then.

frontrunner
07-19-2004, 05:36 PM
did you put your lx in, if not you have to "tune" your o-ring this will helplevel ten help (http://www.automags.org/resource/level10/index.shtml#faststart)

Koosh
07-19-2004, 10:43 PM
Yeah, I've installed more then one LX before, and I understand the tuning process... Its been about a year on this setup with no issues, just felt like pre emptive maintence by changing orings.

I don't understand how removing shims would change the leak... it doesnt leak with the old oring in .5, or 0 carrier, and leaks a little in the 1 carrier... While EVERY new oring leaks in EVERY carrier...

I don't know... Try different Orings maybe? But then I might just be spending money on more orings that don't work... quite odd...

athomas
07-20-2004, 08:05 AM
The old o-ring may have a larger contact area due to being broken in. As the mag was used over the past year the sear has probably worn a bit as well. This would cause the bolt to sit farther forward than before. This wouldn't be noticed using the old o-ring with the flatened contact surface. When you install the new o-rings, the contact area is smaller and may not fully cover past the vent hole on the bolt stem. By removing a shim or two, you will change the position of the o-ring to again prevent the vent hole from being exposed.

Koosh
07-20-2004, 08:15 PM
Took out all my shims... no change in the leak... still large with a Zero carrier and new oring... Still seals with a 1 carrier and the old oring...

I better hope this oring lasts a while :)

athomas
07-21-2004, 10:00 AM
Interesting.

Try going and getting some black Buna o-rings the same size as the carrier o-rings. You should be able to get them locally. Apparently they work quite well.