PDA

View Full Version : Breast Cancer and Paintball

Onryou
07-19-2004, 05:24 PM
Hey guys, resolve an argument for me.
A friend of mine refuses to let his girlfriend come and play with us until she gets a chest protector, saying that if she were to be hit in the breast it would lead to cancer. To me, this sounds absolutely proposterous, but maybe you all know better. Please let me hear what you know, especially you ladies.

Muzikman
07-19-2004, 05:28 PM
I have heard both ways. I don't think there has ever been a reported case caused by paintball, but I did hear of a chic who now has a non cancerous lump from being hit.

FallNAngel
07-19-2004, 06:32 PM
Why in Gods name would being hit with a paintball cause cancer?!

Lurker27
07-19-2004, 06:39 PM
Any serious trauma can form a cyst, which is non cancerous, and MAY damage cells, which need to be replaced and lead to slightly more cell replication.

In which case he'd be putting himself at the same risk for both types of trauma...its BS.

MMM
07-19-2004, 06:43 PM
There's been proof that trauma can lead to some types cancer, hence the belief that women should wear chest protection. It's a good idea but chest protectors are such a pain I don't bother. Plus most of the chest shots I get are in the shoulder. Realize that when you are playing the marker is in front of you and your arms are up against the chest. If it means the difference between playing and not playing then buy one, they aren't that expensive.

FallNAngel
07-19-2004, 06:52 PM
There's been proof that trauma can lead to some types cancer

Can you provide a link to this proof? I find it amazing that apparently paintballs hit with enough force to cause trauma, but no one has yet to actually report an instance of it happening.

MMM
07-19-2004, 06:58 PM
Do you mean and article with paintball causing a specific instance of cancer? I've never heard of a case, I'm willing to bet one doesn't exist. I can try and find an article linking trauma and cancer though.

Jack_Dubious
07-19-2004, 07:00 PM
I think we all could give a little better advice, if we had some pics of the breasts in question.

:D
JDub

Igotu
07-19-2004, 07:09 PM
Just tell him that guys can get breast cancer too(wich they can) and then tell him you dont or nobody else has cancer that plays.

OysterBoy
07-19-2004, 07:09 PM
I think we all could give a little better advice, if we had some pics of the breasts in question.

:D
JDub

Oh for sure. In fact, i bet we would be able to come up with an assesment to within 0.0001% of a certainty...

:cheers:

rx2
07-19-2004, 07:12 PM
Typically, cancer is caused by some sort of damage to DNA, or an inherent genetic defect. For example, exposure to the sun can lead to skin cancer due to the fact that UV radiation just happens to be at such a wavelength that it energizes a bond between two consecutive thymine bases in the DNA. This leads to what is known as a thymine dimer, and the result is a conformational change in the DNA in the region of the bond that leads to the Ribosome malfunctioning, as it travels along the DNA. This results in cells that have erroneous DNA. Often, these cells also lack the inherent control that tells them to stop reproducing, and thus you have masses of growth, i.e. tumor formation.

Now, this is just one scenario. As I mentioned, the DNA can be damaged by other means, such as a virus, or it may have been defective due to mutation, or heredity (or it can be injected into your toe by the CIA, if you believe the whole Bob Marley conspiracy!). In any case, cancer is mostly the result of uncontrolled growth of abbhorent cells.

The best person to ask would be an oncologist. However, I would think that it would be quite difficult to do the amount of damage needed to result in cancer. Of course, a benign cyst seems more realistic, as damage to the tissues may result in internal scars, which could form cysts. But, there is still chance, and I think it depends upon the persons immune system, that the body could misreact to the cyst, and result in a tumor. However, it does not necessarily mean that a malignant tumor will form.

In the end, I think that there is some validity to the statement. I do not think, though, that it is something that need be worried about excessively. After all, the breast is mainly fatty tissue, and certainly there are many paintballers who sustain trauma to fatty tissue on a regular basis. There are certain difference, but, I don't think that it should be something that should keep you away from playing.

Again, the best would be to ask an oncologist, or genetecist concentrating in the field, but there are far greater risks, I think, than paintball.

Jaremy Rykker
07-19-2004, 07:39 PM
I wouldn't worry about it. I take a hell of a lot harder hits in football, and that occasional wild pitch in baseball is worse than a paintball impact. If you are worried that the trauma of a paintball hit has a .00000000001% chance of causing a benign tumor that has a .0000000001% chance of becoming malignant, then you shouldn't be letting the chick do anything except stay in her bed all day... hmm... actually it would be preferable to keep her in your bed all day.

On another note, if we had a picture of the tissue in question, I'm certain that we could provide you with more detailed information. ;)

Enemy
07-20-2004, 12:35 AM
there was a rumor that excessive bruising can cause cancer i dont know how much truth to that there was but notice i said excessive..ie a bruise and then rebruising the same place on many different occasions!!! and that is only if you bruise easly..tell this guy that he needs to get off his high horse and let his girl live or she wont be around much longer if shes got any form of a brain!! i hate controlling people its like its not your choice its mine so back off!!! oh and sorry bout the rant.

Hexis
07-20-2004, 02:45 PM
Can you provide a link to this proof? I find it amazing that apparently paintballs hit with enough force to cause trauma, but no one has yet to actually report an instance of it happening.

From www.m-w.com
Trauma
1 a : an injury (as a wound) to living tissue caused by an extrinsic agent <surgical trauma>

Just in case:
Extrinsic
1 a : not forming part of or belonging to a thing.

Now, the last time I got hit by a paintball it left a small welt. This was a very slight injury to my living tissue caused by an external agent (the paintball). This is clearly a (albeit quite minor) trauma.