PDA

View Full Version : Any suggestions for a new PC game?

afultz075
07-19-2004, 09:36 PM
Well, i'm getting pretty sick of my selection of PC games (beat Mafia twice, mastered Ghost Recon, Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory is getting repetitive, GTA3 got old 2 years ago, etc, you get the idea), so I want to get something new in the next few days. Any gamers here that can help me? I haven't followed videogames for quite awhile, so I don't have much of an idea of what's good. A couple games I know of do catch my eye:
Call of Duty
Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow
Hitman: Contracts
Battlefield: Vietnam
Max Payne 2

Any opinions on those and is there anything else to consider?

LittlePaintballBoy
07-19-2004, 09:44 PM
If you haven't played HalfLife you better get it, that and counterstrike will keep you busy forever. There are also tons of mods for those games so you can always play new ones for free.

Blennidae
07-19-2004, 10:12 PM
Doom 3 is due out shortly (Aug. 5th, I think). That'll be my next PC game. :D

slateman
07-19-2004, 10:15 PM
Call of Duty Pretty good, but the SP is a little short.

Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow is great. IF you like stealth action games. Nicely done. The Multiplayer is supposed to be pretty good (haven't played it yet).

Hitman: Contracts Never played it. Played Hitman 2 and Contracts is supposed to be like it. Fun, but very little replay value.

Battlefield: Vietnam Don't know anything. From what my friends tell me, Joint Operations: Typhoon Rising, is supposed to be better. Unless you really like the Vietnam aspect.

Max Payne 2 Probably the game I know the best. Its also the best on the list. Great story, good graphics, and fantastic action. My only complaint is that it is really short. Its not much more than an expansion pack to Max Payne 1. Still though, the story makes up for it.

My suggestions:

Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic Personally, I love this game. It should take you a while to finish, as it is an RPG. If you don't like SW however, than you might want to consider skipping skip it.

Operation Flashpoint As realistic as FPS can get (until Full Spectrum Warrior). You play a grunt caught up in a flashpoint during the Cold War in a make believe place in Europe. Has some great Mods.

Far Cry Solid FPS with really pretty graphics.

Halo Read Above. Looks way better on PC than Xbox. Especially if your PC can handle it.

Star Wars Jedi Outcast/Jedi Acadamy If you like chopping up Stormtroopers (and who doesn't?!?) in the 3rd person perspective then this is for you.

Thief Deadly Shadows Pretty good game. only good once or twice but it has some pretty freaky levels. You play a thief in the Middle Ages. Stealth action based.

Thats the best I can do without you telling me more about what games you like to play. There are some good ones coming up soon. Madden 2005, Doom 3, Half Life 2, Full Spectrum Warrior, Rome: Total War, and Splinter Cell 3 all look great.

Darken Sun
07-19-2004, 10:18 PM
If youre into action go with Far Cry, Halo, Half-Life and Rainbow Six 3. Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow was an awesome game, but it was a little easy. Call of Duty is just plain out one of the best games ive ever played. If youre more into RPG's, go with Knights of the Old Republic or Morrowind GOTYE, which will keep you busy until Doom 3 and Half-Life 2 hit the shelves, maybe even Halo 2
EDIT: UT2004 is wicked sick. I just got it a couple days ago and its soooo addictive. You should definitaly look into that

personman
07-19-2004, 10:21 PM
Half life 2 is 'supposivally' coming out this fall but based on the recent trend, it will probably get delayed for about the 99th time in a year or so. Anyway that game is going to be pimp but its going to take alot of power, so you have to have a fast computer.
My bro is addicted to BF1942, I've never played it but it looks pretty cool.
My friend has call of duty and he says its great.
Half life 1 is great, mostly because you can download so many mods for it. Counter-Strike is a classic and is now supported by Valve. There are some other good ones too, theres like hundreds of mods out there. If you get tired of a game, just download a new one and its almost like a whole new game.

Python14
07-19-2004, 10:29 PM
Half life 2 will take every resource on even the current top systems to work well. Doesn't mean it won't rock the casbah though.

I say go get Unreal Tournament 2004 and play it until the next one comes out. It's so addictive that it hurts. I love it.

afultz075
07-19-2004, 10:50 PM
Ok, I'm 99% sure i'm going to go with Call of Duty. Is the multiplayer any good on it?

Python14
07-19-2004, 11:25 PM
It's alright. It lags occasionally, and I have a fairly decent connection too.

gamarada717
07-19-2004, 11:27 PM
Personally, I think that the single payer CoD is very repetitive. The multiplayer aspect is much better. I play vietnam at a competitive level, so I'm not sure if it's a good average gamer game, but whatever. Check out city of heroes also, it's a pretty cool MMORPG.

Havoc_online
07-20-2004, 12:01 AM
SplinterCell!

I still play splintercell:PT online, its insanely fun. IT was REALLY buggy when it came out but they are on patch 1.3 now which pretty much excercised the demons. The online play was as thought out as chess. I love it.(the sp is better than the first one too)

CoD - SP is fun, but if you've played MoH you've played this. The online play is good but gets old quick I think.

Max Payne 2 - slightly better than first, pretty much the same thing.

City of Heros - gets old REAL fast. plus its $15 a month. Its only cool if you know a bunch of ppl who are always on....

Skoad
07-20-2004, 12:22 AM
Doom3 in 2 weeks!

www.doom3.com watch the trailor!@

painball
07-20-2004, 03:11 AM
Doom 3 :hail:
Anyone interested in preordering it online, use gamestop and get free overnight shipping with the coupon code: OVRDOOM3 (I think that's the correct code).

fire1811
07-20-2004, 07:23 AM
Doom 3 will be my next game

but i currently love and play

Battlefield vietnam
Battlefield 1942 with EOD , desert combat, mods

Star wars jedi knight jedi academy

star wars jedi knight jedi outcast is good too but academy has tons more lightsaber fights. online saber fighting is cool also.

and you cant beat a good game of Medal of Honor or Call of duty
everyone should have those games