PDA

View Full Version : Side plates for rt/emag rails

Carbon
07-21-2004, 09:13 PM
so howcome no one has made some sideplates for the rails. They can retrofit the existing holes in the rt/emag rail. Just another aesthetic upgrade idea.

Carbon
07-22-2004, 02:53 AM
well here is a basic idea. not to scale and not accurate but you get the idea.

http://www.retr0.com/clay/rt%20side%20plate.jpg

Chojin Man
07-22-2004, 03:03 AM
what a good idea! http://www.automags.org/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

ß?µ£ §mµ®ƒ
07-22-2004, 05:31 AM
Neat! its like putting armor on
If anyone has seen Zoids,
you can customize your mech warrior with plates sort of like this, armor almost
but for looks thats cool

Raven001
07-22-2004, 07:47 AM
so howcome no one has made some sideplates for the rails. They can retrofit the existing holes in the rt/emag rail. Just another aesthetic upgrade idea.

Why not just remove the damn holes in the first place since they appear to serve no usefull purpose?

P.S. is your sig from Lone Wolf & Cub?

OysterBoy
07-22-2004, 07:48 AM
Why not just remove the damn holes in the first place since they appear to serve no usefull purpose?

I'm pretty sure the CNC Uses those holes to get a grip on the piece, dunno though.

OysterBoy
07-22-2004, 07:50 AM
Also Carbon, I have an idea to go along with yours. Its great (your idea), but you still see those screws, yes? Why not have the screws screw in a smaller side rail, and then in that rail you slide a piece in to give it a bit more flow, and it wont show any ugly screws..

OysterBoy
07-22-2004, 08:40 AM
Was waiting for someone to ask. Frankly, I'd pay in the area of $30 if they looked ok, $50 if they looked hawt.

_tMAN
07-22-2004, 08:52 AM
I think I'd pay $25-$30
What if you made a piece able to slide over the plate. So you wouldn't see the screw holes.

OysterBoy
07-22-2004, 08:54 AM
50 CDN and 30 USD :D jk. Im not sure, Im thinking CDN.

OysterBoy
07-22-2004, 08:55 AM
I think I'd pay $25-$30
What if you made a piece able to slide over the plate. So you wouldn't see the screw holes.

Read my above post :).

Severe
07-22-2004, 09:16 AM
How about some rails that support mounting sights and such. This would give some flexibility to players who go back and forth with scenario. Same marker, more features and accesories.

If it was something like the picinnany rails (at the angle to see around the vert feed) that could be mounted either right or left it would add all sort of options for the ULE bodies.

Severe
07-22-2004, 09:35 AM
Ive already suggested this idea to AGD about 4 months ago. They didnt like it, and prefer the TAC body.

I agree with you though.

Any chance you might provide these? In combination with your matt black rails and such, I think this could be a bigger hit than the Tac-One body. Basically I imagine something like the E-mag sight rail but with mountable holes for sight rails.

It's different enough from the Tac-One approach and it should actually be lighter.

OysterBoy
07-22-2004, 09:49 AM
Not only that but think of the overall marker composition. If rail-plates were made to match a Karta, you'd have a seller. But, again, AGD is veering away from Tourney stuff (Function over form from now on.).

TeamNausea
07-22-2004, 09:51 AM
Instead of buying the tac-one body you just have the mounting things....for the scenario players that would save them a bundle. ;) (btw i was agreeing with what was said ^ not trying to say i made it up.)

OysterBoy
07-22-2004, 10:05 AM
They save money, but Im sure AGD takes a hit. Tac bodys cant be cheap to manufacture, so we have to also take into consideration that if anyone should come out with these it should be AGD. Or, maybe I'm just talking out of my arse.

Severe
07-22-2004, 10:18 AM
I'm personally of the opinion if AGD doesn't want to produce them, per Rogue's comment, then any enterprising person who takes the time and effort to make them should do so and enjoy whatever sales might arise from that.

If it wasn't for the after-marker options that mags currently have, I doubt very seriously they would be as popular as they are becoming.

Given the option of these type of rails over the Tac-One body, I'd take the rails. That's just me.

G3PB
07-22-2004, 10:33 AM
If you don't care for the Tac Rails, why not just get a Slug Rail and mill it however you want it?

tony3
07-22-2004, 10:41 AM
Rogue you should make the side plates similar maybe to the sideplates on timmys, but I guess just flat solid ones would add a nice contrast to a gun.

Black ule body
Red xvalve
Red side plates
Black Rogue 90* frame
Red annod panels
Black 15* asa
Red Regular length Cp foregrip

That would be awesome.

Bulldog
07-22-2004, 11:51 AM
I'm personally of the opinion if AGD doesn't want to produce them, per Rogue's comment, then any enterprising person who takes the time and effort to make them should do so and enjoy whatever sales might arise from that.
And if they don't sell because production costs are too high?

I don't think that it's not that this can't be done, I'm thinking it's just expensive, plus AO can be finicky too.

ShaftyMcGee
07-22-2004, 12:41 PM
how about a plate that you can mount a Q-loader to easily? also would it be possible to put plates on wingless rails or are the holes shaved down to much?

Severe
07-22-2004, 12:42 PM
And if they don't sell because production costs are too high?

I don't think that it's not that this can't be done, I'm thinking it's just expensive, plus AO can be finicky too.

Yeah, I don't know what the production cost would be. That's why I mentioned to Rogue since he would be more in the know, so to speak.

Frankly, I don't think it would be difficult to do. When I envision this, I'm not talking about the rails, just the mount. So it would be a "U" shaped mount with the three screw holes per sides and several mounting holes on it. Thing, there are some many rail types from airsoft that could be used, there's no reason to re-invent the wheel. And this would allow for a VERY high degree of customization. Look at OpsGear at all the various rails they have for the A5 for a general idea, or even RedWolfAirSoft.

This isn't anything that someone would have to worry about making athestically pleasing, you'd just want form/function and durability.

The front screw holes could support a similar mount for above/below rails. Heck, you could mount the fore-grip on the rail if you wanted.

The beauty of something like this is it would work with ANY body type, powerfeed, verticle or warp. If that doesn't create appeal, then I'm not sure what would.

Carbon
07-22-2004, 02:55 PM
Rogue, maybe you should do a early mockup of the side plates? And run a poll to see the how hot this thing can get before pre-orders can be sent. Anyway here is another idea for a set of wraparound plates ala Timmy ripoff.

http://www.retr0.com/clay/rt%20palte2.jpg

Raven, no its is from the box cover of Yojimbo.

RoadDawg
07-23-2004, 05:30 PM

Wrong. They do have a purpose. They are to mount the Emag/RTP site rail and foregrip plates. After all they are RTP/Emag Rails in the beginning. Plus the holes go deeper then most people think.

Also the sear axle part has to be taken into consideration. If you whack that off you'll need a shorter sear axle and what not.

Koosh
07-23-2004, 05:42 PM
Yeah, I agree with some of the other guys...

AGD and Rogue Rails would look 100X better if they didn't have the "speed holes" in them.

Sure they hold up the sight rail (which barely anybody uses) and the foregrip, which is ok for AGD guns, but for the custom market like Nicad and Rogue it just seems off... It should at least be an option for "no speed holes" from the factory...

Carbon
07-23-2004, 08:55 PM
well i suppose you cal leave a hole for the axle pin on the face plate and diguise it as an inteded design feature.

richie
07-24-2004, 09:25 AM
I had a friend mill my rail and I kept thinking what could be done to cover the holes.Paint gets in there and makes a mess.So, I made a simple set for mine.i wish I could get some made of carbon fiber and a smaller set of countersunk screws.I used grip screws off an intelliframe.They work though but I would like to reshape the ends,maybe a slash forward or something.A picatinny rail would be sweet! I would like to see what someone else comes up with though.

JadedT
07-24-2004, 11:40 AM
RogueFactor: bought quite a few items off you and I KNOW I would buy these plates from you. $20 a pop sounds great for a picatinny rail that uses 6-32 screws...

You might offer three versions:
version for people to tap their AM/MM rails
version for older RTP/ Emag winged rails
version for new wingless rails

But obviously feel out the crowd for the most prevalent rail/ interest. I would buy either of the first to versions.

J.

SniperSmurf
08-09-2004, 04:33 PM
I simply filled in the screw holes on one of my RT-Pro rails with Bondo. After some light sanding and black paint, you can't even tell they were there. I'm thinkin' about doing the same thing to my new RT-Pro as well, since I never use the sight rail or foregrip, but would like a less permanent solution. This seems like a good idea!

Evil Bob
08-09-2004, 09:49 PM
Rogue:

Use the basic design of the existing sight rail on the E-mag and modify it into a three sided weaver mounting system. That way, regardless of how the mag is being fed (top, warp left, warp right) there will be two useable mounting locations.

-Evil Bob

minimag03
08-09-2004, 10:06 PM
ROGUE, if you think about it, the possiblities of the hole are almost endless. If you do offer the side plates, you should also offer custom engraving for people. As far as pricing, the cheaper the better.

minimag03

Dryden
08-09-2004, 10:12 PM
Why bother producing designs to try and please everybody? Just produce the plates blank (like the aluminum grip panels) and offer them raw polished, then people can have them milled, engraved, or whatever on their own. Like a sluggo.

Let somebody else figure out what to actually do with them, just get 'em out in people's hands.

trains are bad
08-09-2004, 10:13 PM
(very bad picture)

luke
08-09-2004, 10:15 PM
I would cut some, but I don't have any rails to design from. I've had a ULE on order for more than 3 months..... :bounce: