PDA

View Full Version : Inside Edition TV show takes a pot-shot at paintball

Tyger
07-22-2004, 03:49 PM
http://www.webdogradio.us/video/oldschool/InsideEdition.wmv

I'm updating the site right now, and there's a higher res. version on the site (http://www.webdogradio.us/video/oldschool). I'll give you a glimpse. The OPENING LINE was "New concerns about a violent shooting game"... Aired TODAY on inside edition.

Share and enjoy. Information wants to be free.

-Tyger (Who's server can take the flood if everyone on PB Nation gets wind of this...)

Blazestorm
07-22-2004, 04:04 PM
My server can ^_^

*watching now*

It's interesting, the fact is that they concentrate on the injuries. 100 people injured by paintballs a month. a.) I find that hard to believe and b.) they don't compare it to other major sports. I was reading some statistics when I first started, you're more likely to get injured walking down the street then you are playing at a confirmed arena (One that has been checked out and deemed safe to play at) :D

Thermus
07-22-2004, 04:10 PM
I really don't think it was all that unfair to the sport. The fact is, there HAS to be restricitons placed on paintball guns because some younger people can't handle the responsiblity. It shouldn't be easy for a 12 year old to obtain an item that can inflict pain from a distance on other people.

The segment wasn't knocking paintball in arenas and at feilds, and thats all we care about anyway, correct?

Tyger
07-22-2004, 04:13 PM
Personally, I'm not sure what to make of it. one hand, they don't slam the "Sport", on the other, they still make it appear that we're doing violent things. It's not really said that the kids that do drive-bys are vandals, not players of paintball. That and all the violence speak (players wear body armor, and the like)

It's not a major blow, but I thought we got over this in the 80's.

-Tyger

Blazestorm
07-22-2004, 04:16 PM
If they're going to talk about injuries caused by paintball-guns, why don't they talk about baseball bats. I'm pretty sure you don't have to be 18 to purchase a bat to play baseball in your backyard. I'd like to see how many people are injured by baseball bats (Not the sport of baseball).

I do think it is an unfair representation of paintball. People think that paintball is now this evil violent thing that kids do.

ProX9
07-22-2004, 04:20 PM
jeese did they say 100 people in a month? omg ban paintball. better yet the people who commit the crimes just let them off the hook, with 3 weekends of time. then finally sue the paintball gun companies because stupid parents cant control their kids and stupid people with cant control themselves. The language they use is terrible, violent war game, i can understand war games but "violent" come on use something like fast paced or aggresive instead. I love how they also say people are playing paintball on the streets as a generalization for every person who plays off the field. shooting innocent people on the streets also shouldnt be referred to as playing paintball, since its not a game its a crime. Finally at the end just to inform people that it is safe they say paintball fields require safety gear and they dont say there are literally no injuries at the fields. but if anything gets on the news it will most likely be negative since all they have to do is change a few wordings and bam paintball is the antichrist to all who dont have 30 seconds to learn the truth.

Chipper
07-22-2004, 05:07 PM
jeese did they say 100 people in a month? omg ban paintball. better yet the people who commit the crimes just let them off the hook, with 3 weekends of time. then finally sue the paintball gun companies because stupid parents cant control their kids and stupid people with cant control themselves. The language they use is terrible, violent war game, i can understand war games but "violent" come on use something like fast paced or aggresive instead. I love how they also say people are playing paintball on the streets as a generalization for every person who plays off the field. shooting innocent people on the streets also shouldnt be referred to as playing paintball, since its not a game its a crime. Finally at the end just to inform people that it is safe they say paintball fields require safety gear and they dont say there are literally no injuries at the fields. but if anything gets on the news it will most likely be negative since all they have to do is change a few wordings and bam paintball is the antichrist to all who dont have 30 seconds to learn the truth.
I'm guessing that what you said is true but I only read the first sentence. I think that this is just going to keep some parents from going to Wally World and buying a cheapo paintball gun for their 12 year old.

100 injurys per month? I'm calling BS! I think they made a typo and ment to put 10. Also, probably 1000 people get hurt per month playing football or some other true contact sport.

cockermongol
07-22-2004, 05:12 PM
I wouldn't doubt 100 injuries a month because they aren't talking only about injuries on the field, they are talking about assaults on innocent bystanders. A couple of stupid teenagers can peg 10 people in one night easily, and you have to remember that millions of people play paintball and that means that there are millions of paintball markers in circulation...

_tMAN
07-22-2004, 05:17 PM
Oh I'm sure 100 a month is true, but do they count sprained ankles, knee injuries, wrist injuries, broken arms in with eye injuries? If they did I think foorball would have about 1000 a month. Just stupid of them to show the videos of the drive-bys. Although at the end she did say it was a safe sport when played correctly

WenULiVeUdiE
07-22-2004, 05:17 PM
100 injurys per month? I'm calling BS! I think they made a typo and ment to put 10. Also, probably 1000 people get hurt per month playing football or some other true contact sport.

I'm thinking 100 injuries a day in the high season, or at least close to it.
I'm somewhat happy they aired this. Maybe some parents will take away the immature 12 year old's markers in hope that they are saving someone's eyesight. Then again I'm a little disgruntled at some of the things they say like " played on the streets" or " violent". Video games are much more violent and many more kids play them then play paintball. People these days...

titan aresta
07-22-2004, 06:11 PM
I really don't see why some of you think that 100 eye injuries per month is too high a number. This translates to 1200 injuries per year. Using IE's number of 8 million players, we end up with an eye injury rate of 0.015%.
I'd say that 100 injuries per month is probably a bit low...

FSU_Paintball
07-22-2004, 06:21 PM
OK, the intro piece was HORRIBLE, but the report wasn't as bad as I'd feared.

What I have a problem with is that they called it such a growing epidemic, and that paintball injuries have DOUBLED in recent years (I'll bet the number of pb gun owners has at least QUARDRUPLED). They also didn't mention that it's not people at fields who get injured - it's the victims of jerkoffs who do drive-bys.

I am happy that they mentioned that all people at fields are required to wear proper protection.

Chris42050
07-22-2004, 06:22 PM
I havent watched the video and dont plan too. I have given up on television news. Its all sensationalism. Whatever sells. A long time ago, before I was born there was pride and honor for commentators and news organizations to report the truth and not put this kind of garbage on the news. Now they just put on whatever sells. :cry:

WickeDKlowN
07-22-2004, 06:32 PM
If you listen to it, they said 100 people are treated for EYE related paintball injuries.Not just injuries in general. I'm gonna have to call BS and say the guy just pulled that number out his ***.

Also, I don't really see a problem with the video. They arn't atticking the sport, just the stupid f's that do drive-by's and whatnot.

tony3
07-22-2004, 06:39 PM
I don't see anything wrong with that. 100 sounds about right, think about what they said in the article. Wasn't it like 1 and a half billion paintballs are fired a year? And 100 hit people in the eye. Pretty good odds if you ask me.

WickeDKlowN
07-22-2004, 06:43 PM
I can see 100 in a year, but a month? Thats over 3 people a day. Seems kinda sketchy to me...

dave_p
07-22-2004, 08:11 PM
sueing companies is dumb.
sue the people who sell to underage kids.
sue the parents of the jerkoffs
take paintball guns away from children.
i dont care if it hurts the industry. as far as im concerned the industry has taken my game away and replaced it with a bunch of young colorful jerkoffs.
the growth hasnt brought prices down, its brought them up.
i can afford to play no matter how small the industry becomes so i dont care if its crippled.
if you ask me the industry needs the equivalent of the biblical flood. wash away the crap and let something better rise from the rubble.
get children out of paintball!

there, i finally said it. if this pisses you off you are probably one of the children.
and really, i dont care.

Chojin Man
07-22-2004, 08:55 PM
the growth hasnt brought prices down, its brought them up.

how so? paint prices are much lower now compared to years ago.

The Spanish Inquisition
07-22-2004, 09:10 PM
seems to me that ironically the industry which has changed paintball now also keeps paintball safe from over legeslation. It tends to be difficult to pass laws which are going to hurt a multimillion dollar industry and put people out of work.

In any case, if one gets his/her information from "INSIDE edition" , (thats how they spell it, with the capital "INSIDE" to let you know that they know something you don't) then you diseverve to be misinformed. Furthermore, if you believe any portion of the video you just watched, I have some beautiful beachfront property in Wyoming that I will sell you very cheap. email me if you are interested.

Thanks for the vid Tyger, as well as the tip clip.

lamby
07-22-2004, 11:54 PM
I have to agree with the story. restrictions must be made.

There is no reason that that a person under 18 should be able to buy paintballs.

If you are under 18 have your parents buy them for you. That way if you screw up and shoot someone in the eye they can atleast get the equity out of your parent's house as you get sued into everlasting pay garnishment status.

Seriously, I hunted at the age of 12 buy I hunted with my dad at the time. He bought the ammo and my first 30-30 that I used then. Do you think 12 year olds should be able to walk into gander mountain and buy 30-30 rounds?

If you think yes. then you are a lost cause. I can see 18 as a valid age of consent for all arms, including handguns which is currently 21.

That includes paintballs and bbs in my eyes

Just my 2 cents read into it what you want.

I am a pro gun, life member of the NRA. I still think control on sales is needed to keep things that can be dangerous to others out of kids hands.

The Spanish Inquisition
07-23-2004, 12:04 AM
While that video seems like an obvious attempt to shock and scare the viewers, there may be a point to some regulation. However in many places it is still legal for people under 18 to purchase firearm ammuntion. If we are going to regulate something, I think we should start regulatiing that (firearm ammunition) before we attempt to regulate the sale of paintballs.

Enemy
07-23-2004, 01:29 AM
hey all the stores here in vegas treat paintball guns as real fire arms so they will not sell to anyone under 18..some people were cool when i was 17 and let me go knowing danm well i worked at a field and knew what i was doing. but how far will litigation go. half my friends that are 18 hear i have multiple paintball guns and they instantly ask to go out and have fun like shoot up houses and stuff. im like um hell no. anyways yeah i think that instead of more litigation the punishment for paintball related crimes when firing at someone that is not protected should be assault with a deadly weapon!! i wouldnt expect anything less!! i mean maybe if these idiots started doing real time for this stuff they would stop then again it never stops them!! oh and i will no longer view any of inside editions stories cuz that one was total bs they left out all the good points and just let the bad ones rip!! hmmm maybe if a few of these kids went for swims off the bridge with concrete shoes that may help!!! kult of kaye go out and find the mafia status!!!jk

desslock
07-23-2004, 02:00 AM
did anybody see the mag on the wall???

titan aresta
07-23-2004, 10:26 AM
I can see 100 in a year, but a month? Thats over 3 people a day. Seems kinda sketchy to me...

how about 22'000 different people playing paintball every day? does that number seem kinda sketchy too?

Jeffy-CanCon
07-23-2004, 11:36 AM

It's not a major blow, but I thought we got over this in the 80's.

-Tyger

What? Were you asleep through the 90's?

Jeffy-CanCon
07-23-2004, 11:41 AM
If you listen to it, they said 100 people are treated for EYE related paintball injuries.Not just injuries in general. I'm gonna have to call BS and say the guy just pulled that number out his ***.

Also, I don't really see a problem with the video. They arn't atticking the sport, just the stupid f's that do drive-by's and whatnot.

Agreed. We saw a national news story last year everytime some dumb kid did a paintball drive-by. If enough of those were happening to cause 100 eye injuries per month, it would have been on all the real news outlets. And the Law would already have stepped in.

Army
07-23-2004, 11:51 AM
how so? paint prices are much lower now compared to years ago.

Years ago, for your hard earned $50/60, a case held 2500 balls rather than the now standard of 2000.

Yes, price has remained basically the same, but you get less for it.

penguinpunk555
07-23-2004, 12:29 PM
I don't know what to do.They have points and they have lies.

Those people doing drive bys should be shot. With a gun. :mad:

richie
07-23-2004, 12:39 PM
100 injuries a month and there are how many millions of people playing paintball now.Aren't there more people playing now than there ever has been.I don't see how that is a bad ratio.

I also remember when I bought paint in the early '90s it was right at $125.00 for a 2500 case of paint.We used to split a case between 4 of us so I could afford to feed the vm.I for one am happy to pay 60 for a case of 2000.Now if we could just get gasoline back to a decent price :D

Z-man
07-23-2004, 12:45 PM
Years ago, for your hard earned $50/60, a case held 2500 balls rather than the now standard of 2000.

Yes, price has remained basically the same, but you get less for it.

I remember that too! I was very mad when I walked into my local store and noticed I was buying 2000. GIVE ME BACK MY 2500 ROUNDS!

On a different note. The thing that really irritates me (besides using statistics in an argument and general ignorance) is when it's pointed out that more injuries occur each unit of time in paintball then X years ago. DUH! if you have 10 people in the whole world playing paintball, the will be less injuries than if you have 100,000 plain and simple.

People rant and rave about it not being safe enough and sure there are always better things that •could• be done but no matter how safe and how foolproof you make it all, some idiot will always outsmart the design and shoot their (or someone else's eye out)

There was a comedy skit by, someone I dunno maybe Foxworthy, talking about how terribly concerned with safety we are these days. Makes you wonder how all those people survived before use huh? Imagine all those kids having guns back then.... I am amazed any lived to pass on their genes.... sigh.

ProX9
07-23-2004, 12:53 PM
I'm guessing that what you said is true but I only read the first sentence. I think that this is just going to keep some parents from going to Wally World and buying a cheapo paintball gun for their 12 year old.

Is this supposed to be an insult?

Slimm Jimm
07-23-2004, 01:11 PM
I agree that paintball markers and firearms shouln't be sold to minors, but I don't agree with taking away the ability to puchase air or paint for paintball markers, or ammunition for guns. At least not on the national level. There are some areas in the US where fields are not abundant, and the only way for some people to play is to wander out to the woods and organize their own private games. They don't know any better other than it's fun. I say leave it up to the individual states to decide.

boggerman
07-23-2004, 08:04 PM
People rant and rave about it not being safe enough and sure there are always better things that •could• be done but no matter how safe and how foolproof you make it all, some idiot will always outsmart the design and shoot their (or someone else's eye out)

There was a comedy skit by, someone I dunno maybe Foxworthy, talking about how terribly concerned with safety we are these days. Makes you wonder how all those people survived before use huh? Imagine all those kids having guns back then.... I am amazed any lived to pass on their genes.... sigh.
Yea, it was Foxworthy talking about standing up in the car as a kid.

This problem and debate comes up every time a newspaper or TV show or someone takes a pot shot at paintball and my point is the same every time: If I pummel you with a baseball bat, does anyone talk about banning city league softball? If I stab you with a kitchen knife, should all cooking shows be rated "M" for violent mature content? It seems that even though a paintball marker is just a tool that can be used right or wrong, any time it is used wrong it reflects poorly on all of us. This makes no more sense to me than the questions I asked :tard:

eNder159
07-23-2004, 10:32 PM
as stated on the double post parents would be afraid to buy markers for younger kids. Im thinking this "paintball bashing" airing on a major network is a good thing for our "sport". Think about it. The more bashing they do the more parents will give up their willingness to buy markers. When these kids are 18 or whenever they can afford their own marker with their own money so be it. when they do that they know how hard it is to work for it and most likely be more mature about handeling things like a marker. So i think that this "negative" media coverage of paintball is doing us a service...

::zips up flame suit and prepares for flamage::

flame on!