PDA

View Full Version : Home Powder Coating?

ScatterPlot
07-22-2004, 05:35 PM
Anybody do any of this? Anyone know how good it would turn out? I'm not trying to get anyone out of business here, I just want to be able to fiddle around with stuff at home. I'm thinking about something like the one that Caswell has for like 100 or so, I think I can find one like that on sale somewhere for like 70 maybe. How do they do? I have a small toaster oven thingy I can use to bake the stuff in, however I will need to figure out a 10-15 psi air source. I have some ideas for that one. Anyway, anyone have any success?

ScatterPlot
07-22-2004, 05:49 PM
Oh yeah, one more thing, what kind of preperation needs to be done to the metal before powdercoating? I know with anno the metal will still show pretty much all the blemishes, is it the same with powdercoating? I was thinking that powdercoating would help fix that, is that true? Anyways, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Bert

MindJob
08-17-2004, 10:53 AM
There are some places that sell at-home powder coating set-ups for auto applications. I can't think of the name off hand, but I remember hearing alot of good things about it if its done right.

MindJob
08-17-2004, 10:55 AM
matter of fact, found it.

http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemType=CATEGORY&itemID=458

hope this helps

luke
08-17-2004, 04:06 PM
I'll let you know, my set-up will be here tomorrow... :dance: :dance: :dance:

ScatterPlot
08-19-2004, 11:39 PM
So, got it set up yet?

luke
08-20-2004, 08:51 AM
It came in yesterday. I'm looking for a used oven, then I'll be ready. I have lots of stuff to paint! ;)

Big'n slo
08-20-2004, 08:55 AM
luke,
DId you go with the Eastwood kit?
If so and you purchased the starter kit with the lower end gun be very carefull with the powder bottle adapter on the gun. It tends to crack and leak powder under pressure.
And order extra heat tape!

luke
08-20-2004, 09:39 AM
Hey Big,

I went with Caswells kit, but thanks anyway. :cool: