PDA

View Full Version : Level 11 Bolt Idea

OysterBoy
07-23-2004, 09:30 PM
Hey guys, I posted this awhile ago. I didnt really get any answers at all...

My idea is simple; a level 10 bolt, the front half of which is 'rubber', the same kind and shape as the blind bolts rubber. The back end would remain the same. Does anyone see any flaws in this? I think it could make it THE anti-chop device..... Any comments?

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-6/758394/level11.gif

WenULiVeUdiE
07-23-2004, 09:41 PM
The only problem that I could see with this is since the front is rubber and would absorb the impact, the bolt wouldn't bounce off the ball. Well, at least not instantly.

OysterBoy
07-23-2004, 09:44 PM
The way I understood the level 10s operation is, the bolt starts by moving slowly. The rubber wouldnt absord THAT much at a slower speed, so LX kicks in. After the slow phase, ball choppage is still possible (HARD, but possible). Thats where the blind would kick in.or so I think..

NJPaint
07-23-2004, 09:47 PM
I have a flaw... Why would you need it?

In all seriousness, is there ANYONE who doesn't use the lvl 10 because it breaks too many balls? The main drawback is its lack of efficiency, which you wouldn't be helping. I don't think there is any reason to make a new bolt, when it effectively won't improve anything.

OysterBoy
07-23-2004, 09:50 PM
True. I guess its dumb, just wanted to know if it could work.

GoatBoy
07-23-2004, 10:32 PM
Think of it this way: if the rubber has any significant energy absorption, it's going to mess with the ability of the LX's ability to stop on a ball, as opposed to continuing on to its power phase.

The LX is already finicky enough to tune unfortunately.

I'd just prefer to see increased ability to tune the current LX.

I enjoy seeing your ideas, Oysterboy.

Nobody ditches the L10 because it "breaks too much paint". That's not a reason to stop innovating. FYI, NJpaint, there are, what, technically 3 revisions of the superbolt? Think about it.

OysterBoy
07-23-2004, 10:35 PM
I enjoy seeing your ideas, Oysterboy.

How so?

vf-xx
07-23-2004, 11:44 PM
Flaw:

This would reqire re-engineering the Power tube. Right now the piston within the bolt runs almost the whole length of the bolt. You wouldn't want to attach the piston to the tip of the rubber because it won't hold up over time.

Destructo6
07-23-2004, 11:44 PM
http://www.automags.org/pic/img/lvl10/superbolt.jpg

How would you attach the power piston if the entire front half of the bolt is rubber?

ScatterPlot
07-24-2004, 12:28 AM
I don't think the LX moves more slowly at first, just with less pressure.

jonmcfatty
07-24-2004, 12:31 AM
what about doing a superfly thing where some of the surfaces were delrin

SpecialBlend2786
07-24-2004, 12:44 AM
I think delrin was tried before, but it wasn't strong enough to survive the return/sear catching on.

OysterBoy
07-24-2004, 09:17 AM
I suppose I should be anal-clear as far as the design.

Of course it wouldn't work in its current design, perhaps doing a reverse-tooth pattern from the piston. What I mean is; look down your bolt. You see 3 'teeth' attaching the piston to the bolt. Now imagine your editing it in photoshop. Pull forward the piston, so the 3 teeth stretch up with it (Outty instead of an inny :) ). Then reduce the bolt down to half the size, involve the rubber in a 'locking' system on the bolt (twist on would make sense). Again, just an idea.

Kevmaster
07-24-2004, 10:14 AM
I don't think the LX moves more slowly at first, just with less pressure.

it moves slower, because less force is pushing on the bolt (same pressure pushing it--just less surface area to push on).

once it gets to stage two, it has more surface area and goes really fast for the last push