PDA

View Full Version : What's a good cheap regulator for Automag RT w/ HP Bottle?

draos
10-19-2001, 11:27 AM
Hey Guys, I recently had to buy a new High Pressure bottle for my Automag RT (old one was stolen) and I didn't feel like shelling out another $$$ so I ended up buying one of those cheap PMI Pure Energy Bottles (68 cu. 3000psi). Actually, the bottle works great, especially on a remote line, but the problem I'm having is the output pressure on these bottles is preset to 800 psi, which is making the RT Trigger extremely (and over) sensitive and giving me lots of "hot shots". If you have ever over-pressured your RT you know what I'm talking about heh heh, like 5 shots per trigger pull, I feel like I'm using full auto here!

heh heh, well I'm figuring to throw a second ADJUSTABLE regulator or stabilizer on the bottle instead of scrapping it and I was wondering if anyone could recommend any good cheaps ones that work for the money. Preferably something that works well with the RT and a High Pressure bottle. I was checking out Palmers Pursuit Stabilizer(www.palmers-pursuit.com), but I'm not really sure if it's any good.

Well guys, any ideas?

Thanks.

(And if this stuff gets stolen I'll only be out $200 instead of $500!!! Argh that sucked, some people are so EVIL.)

Sledgehammer
10-19-2001, 11:39 AM
Not much sense in putting an inline reg in between the fixed 800 psi from the bottle and your RT's reg. If I'm not mistaken the RT needs at least 600something psi to work correctly and as far as I know most regs aren't any good in reducing pressure by just say 150 psi...

I may be talking nonsense of course...

cphilip
10-19-2001, 11:46 AM
I do not think you will get the kind of problem you are experiencing with a 800 psi input. Something else is your problem. I get "good" reactivity on mine at 850 psi. But no run on or hot shots. Me thinks your reg seat is dirty or kaput.

Added on edit...unlesss your regulator in this new tank is bad and is outputting more than 800 psi? Might be a consideration.

Webmaster
10-19-2001, 11:50 AM
Its possible your screw in isnt adjusted right from the factory and is pumping out more than 800psi.

If so - I would send it in for repair. At 800 you shouldnt get a trigger that is too reactive.

You COULD buy a palmer bottomline and set it to output at 800psi or maybe 750 - but those are like $100 with the brackets to mount it. The inline reg is a bit less, but again - you dont NEED a reg on a mag.

If your tank is pumping out more than 800, thats probably your problem. If its not, then that may not be the real cause of problems. Instead of investing in a new reg, Id say save up a bit, sell your tank, and get a flatline or other inexpensive adjust able system like a raptor.

Chris
10-19-2001, 12:01 PM
You can also call up AGD and ask for a longer On/off pin. The longer the pin, the less reactive the trigger will be. I have had to shorten the pin on some of my retromags to get them running where I like them when they werent being reactive enough. Hopefully this will be a good, and much less expensive, fix to the problem.

-Chris

Bad Dave
10-19-2001, 12:02 PM
Or look at it from another angle, the bottle might be fine but if you have worn away your on/off pin or had work done on it it will make the gun that bit more reactive.

So why not order another on/off pin from AGD cheap way to find out or if you can accuratley measure your pin buy one slightly longer.

but the other suggestions are more likely

cphilip
10-19-2001, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by Webmaster
sell your tank, and get a flatline or other inexpensive adjust able system like a raptor.

Cheap adjustable huh? Wonder who might just have one to sell... ;)

http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14585

draos
10-19-2001, 02:24 PM
Hey, I just noticed something. Does compressed air give off vapor? Vapor similiar to what you'd expect when firing a gun with c02? I just noticed a vapor when I was trying to troubleshoot this damn problem...I got my bottle filled yesterday at a ghetto paintball store(I'm new to the area, just moved in). I asked him to fill with compressed air, but I wasn't watching I was checking out the guns on the wall while standing at the counter, the girl I was with said she saw him put it on two bottles when filling it, he put it on one first for like a second then stopped and put it on the other one. This tank DOES kinda look like a c02 just rounder, it's the same black alloy look though. Would you get this kind of problem if the gun was run with c02?

-Tim

draos
10-19-2001, 02:26 PM
Now the gun is hissing when I plug the remote in and turn everything on, it sounds like it's coming from the rear of the gun, right by the "RT" letters. Sorry guys, I just bought this mag right before I moved(like a month before) so if I sound stupid it's because I've never owned a mag before so I'm still learning. I am a converted cocker user heh. :)

It definately sounds like some sort of seal leak, I have yet to disassemble the gun. I will soon though and let you guys know what I can. :) THanks for all the positive help!

booyah
10-19-2001, 08:26 PM
hey, i understand about the 5 shots per pull on a preset RT, let me guess, yours is in the first 3000 of serial numbers eh?

a little known thing I have seen on old school RT's is they get more reactive the more they are broken in...

I had an RT with z that was uncontrolable on a preset tank...

my suggestion is the PMI bottomline reg, designed for TONS of flow, seen em used as a primary reg on shockers and excalibers...

they go msrp for over 100, but you can find em for bout 80
basicly they turn your preset in to an armageddon like system... the tank screws into the adjustable reg mounted on the bottom of your gun

-Booyah

Yipe
10-19-2001, 08:27 PM
draos,

I'm not sure about your RT leaking troubles, but I can answer the vapor question. Yes, you can have vapor appear during firing even when running compressed air. I have noticed this happens a lot with my Mag on humid days. Hope that helps.

Sincerely,

Matt

P.S. RT's are a little different, but on a standard Mag, leaking out the back can be one of two things. One, the regulator seat o-ring (looks like a hockey puck) is damaged. Replace it. Two, the velocity is set too high. Turn down the regulator nut.

SIGSays
10-20-2001, 04:01 AM
if your still need a vert reg.......... vigilante are good for the money.........