PDA

View Full Version : Red fill paintballs and "scenario guns"

Carbon
07-25-2004, 04:37 AM
Red fill paintballs and "realistically dressed" scenario guns.

Same priciples but different "image"?

What is more/less "PC" red paint or "realisticaly dressed" guns.

Consider scenario the growing market.

Skoad
07-25-2004, 04:43 AM
I could give a flub about political correctness.

red paintballs - it looks like blood so you won't know if someone is really hurt or if its just a splatter.

SniperSmurf
07-25-2004, 05:01 AM
I don't mind red paint. I think you should be able to use any color you choose, even in rec or speedball. If someone thinks that they're hurt, here's a brilliant idea; wipe off the red paint and see if any more "magically" appears! If it does, then chances are that they're bleeding. I don't personally see triage being any simpler if the wound is covered in yellow/blue/green/orange. You're gonna have to wipe it off to get a good look regardless of the color!
As for it being too realistic? Who gives a flying ****? Just look at AirSoft. People who play scenarios want a bit of realism in their game. What’s wrong with that? Guess that puts me square on the non politically-correct side of the fence, huh?
:cheers:

Blazestorm
07-25-2004, 07:52 AM
I really think red, dark pink, and black fill (WTF?) shouldn't be allowed for the simple fact that it does make it hard to see an injury. If someone slides into a bunker and breaks their leg, a ref sees "red paint" on the players leg and calls them out, tells them to walk off the field, as the ref stands there wondering wtf is going on, he goes to wipe off "the paint" and applies too much pressure to the leg causing even more pain.

But had the rules stated no red or dark pink paint, the ref would have realized that was an injury, not a ball break.

I think camo-ized markers is cool because it helps scenario players hide better.

Scenario's are all in the woods and jungle, what about an urban scenario?

Scenario's are meant to re-enact events, not make the game a "war" game. Remember that

shartley
07-25-2004, 08:04 AM
I agree with those who feel red or very dark fill should not be allowed. As stated, it is too hard to tell if it is blood or paint.

As for wiping it to see if it “goes away”, that may work for a single hit, but with the ROFs available now days it is often times not that simple. And being that there are so many alternatives to red or dark fills why even bother?

Now my take on milsim markers….. it depends on the situation. I think they are fine if used correctly and handled correctly outside the paintball arena. The sport of paintball has grown to encompass so many types of games and styles of play that I don’t have a problem with ANY type of marker (as in looks).

tony3
07-25-2004, 09:02 AM
I don't mind red paint. I think you should be able to use any color you choose, even in rec or speedball. If someone thinks that they're hurt, here's a brilliant idea; wipe off the red paint and see if any more "magically" appears! If it does, then chances are that they're bleeding. I don't personally see triage being any simpler if the wound is covered in yellow/blue/green/orange. You're gonna have to wipe it off to get a good look regardless of the color!
As for it being too realistic? Who gives a flying ****? Just look at AirSoft. People who play scenarios want a bit of realism in their game. What’s wrong with that? Guess that puts me square on the non politically-correct side of the fence, huh?
:cheers:

Then again the base of airsofters is dramatically smaller then paintballers. Airsoft is where paintball was 10 years ago in terms of playing styles. Sure, you can still play in the woods like airsofters, but that is all they do, they don't have any form of speedball that I know of.

punkncat
07-25-2004, 09:17 AM
Most of the fields I have played no longer allow red fill. If you see red on someone , you think "first aid" and react as such.

I cannot see where red paint helps with the image we as game players are trying to project.

XbeasleyX
07-25-2004, 09:49 AM
How often do you see enough blood in paintball to soak through a pair of pants and/or a jersey. If someone slides into a bunker and busts a leg, they will scream loud enough to stop the game. The most blood I've seen as a result of playing paintball was my buddy that got bunkered was shot in the forehead point blank as it bled like a paper cut. If people want to use it let them. And about the guns- unless a company makes a loader that uses an actual magazine (not like q-loader) then it will always have that big loader to remind you its not real.

P8ntBallBoom
07-25-2004, 09:56 AM
Personally I use pink paint....all the time. Just looks funny when your opponent walks by you "dressed" in pink from a few bonus shots.

Anyways, I guess I don't mind red paint, simply because if somone was hurt THAT bad that they were bleeding, they would let you know trust me. A paint splat is pretty big so if someone were actually bleeding rather than it jsut being a paint splat, they are obviously hurting and they WILL let you know. If you are close enought that you can see a red spot, you should be able to tell if that person is in serious pain. ie- shouting, squiriming around, etc. People are trying to act like the person who could possibly be hurt won't let you know that he/she is hurt.

I just don't see why red paint wouldn't be allowed. We want this game to be more realisitic, and here we go, red paint. Looks like your bleeding.

TheTramp
07-25-2004, 10:42 AM
I learned the hard way that red fill isn't a good idea.

We were playing in the woods which had some tall steep hills. My friend and I thought red fill would be fun and because the reat of the group were part of a renactment team they thought so too.

Unfortunatly part way through the day I saw one of the other team accross the way on one of the steep hills and really lit into him. I got him in the head 2-3 time and when he tried to get out of my stream of paint he triped and fell over a log and didn't get up. After realizing that something was wrong, a bunch of us stopped the game as best we could (really big "field")

Turs out that when the parametic (he was playing) got there he ask the hurt guy what hurt. THe kids says "my head" and guess what...it was covered in red so everyone kind of freaked out thinking he'd smashed his head open on a rock wehen he fell.

It turns out that his head might have hurt a bit from getting shot there but the real injury was the dislocated sholder and broken arm.

While he ended up ok, the red paint really confused things as had a hard time telling the paint from any possible blood on the guy's head. :(

Lets just say I don't use red fill any more.

shartley
07-25-2004, 11:36 AM
I learned the hard way that red fill isn't a good idea.

We were playing in the woods which had some tall steep hills. My friend and I thought red fill would be fun and because the reat of the group were part of a renactment team they thought so too.

Unfortunatly part way through the day I saw one of the other team accross the way on one of the steep hills and really lit into him. I got him in the head 2-3 time and when he tried to get out of my stream of paint he triped and fell over a log and didn't get up. After realizing that something was wrong, a bunch of us stopped the game as best we could (really big "field")

Turs out that when the parametic (he was playing) got there he ask the hurt guy what hurt. THe kids says "my head" and guess what...it was covered in red so everyone kind of freaked out thinking he'd smashed his head open on a rock wehen he fell.

It turns out that his head might have hurt a bit from getting shot there but the real injury was the dislocated sholder and broken arm.

While he ended up ok, the red paint really confused things as had a hard time telling the paint from any possible blood on the guy's head. :(

Lets just say I don't use red fill any more.
Great real world situation… thank you for posting.

GotMag?
07-25-2004, 12:11 PM
i jsut say, why do we need it, my mom almost didnt let me get a gun anyway, becasue she thought that any color of paint was symbolic of blood, it took a LOT of convincing to get her to let me play, i dont know if id be playing if all we used was red paint. I have seen somebody with a deep purple on them and freaked out, cause i thoguht it was blood

TDonovan
07-25-2004, 03:01 PM
I guess red paint could cause some safety issues, but I personally have no problem if someone shot me with some red fill.

Scenario guns aren't a problem to me I think. I'm sick of worrying about what everyone else thinks about our sport. I'd be willing to bet that the scenario guys with those kinda guns are normally some of the most responsible and kind paintballers there are. They shoot 280fps, wear their goggles, play at regulated fields, and follow the rules. Now why the heck would having a cool LOOKING gun pose a problem.

I think the real bad face of paintball is just the stupid people who buy the guns for mischief. That's why my parents only allowed me to get a gun because they knew I was using it to actually play paintball.

Personally, I think orange and green paint are pretty cool. Orange is SO easy to see.

Number13
07-25-2004, 09:38 PM
I am a tournament-style paintball player. I started in the woods and moved up to "speedball" and tournaments.

The problem with red paint is the public reaction of non-playing members of the community. The common perception of the sport in those who have never played it is one of "military intent". They believe that people only play paintball because they want to inflict pain on others and enjoy the thought of having "shot" someone without the trouble they'd get into if they'd used a real firearm. They believe that by allowing their children to play paintball they are building a violent society of closet firearm fanatics.

This is not a complete misconception of paintball players. Working at a field, I see many walkons who wish to shoot people with their "bullets" from their (yeah, I'm serious) "pistols". They want to see who can leave the biggest welt and are proud when they make their opponents bleed. I've talked with woodsballers who are really enjoying "hunting" their opponents and openenly admit it. They enjoy firearm sports and like the "realism" and "danger" that woodsball allows them.

As a tournament player, I detest those opinions of the sport. For me, it's not being "politically correct," it's remaining able to play the sport I love. I can not afford to play tournament paintball for much longer. Luckily, paint prices have dropped in the last year. Paintball must overcome the militaristic associations of viewers - not players - to survive as a nationally accepted sport. With national acceptance you will see an even larger playing base, which means more effecient means of production and lower costs for players. I want to see every kid in little league playing paintball instead, every football camp replaced with a paintball camp, and every station competing for contracts over airing paintball matches.

I love the sport of paintball. It teaches teamwork and communication while emphasising personal achievement. The point system requires strategy and forethought. No one can deny the comraderie that can develop among a team as they play together. Paintball is everything a sport should be: adreneline, physical exercise and coordination, and training for real life situations (i.e. communication, assertiveness, teamwork, problem solving, planning, etc.). I do not view paintball as a "bloodsport", a "dangerous game", or a "gun-thing". Those that do make it harder for me to play.

For these reasons I do not support red paint or milsims. I believe anyone who wants to play with a milsim or red paint for the purpose of imitating blood should instead play airsoft sports. Airsoft sports are designed for military reinactment and simulation, and the airguns they use are designed to simulate firearms. I would think the airsoft sports would provide players who enjoy that interpretation of paintball and even more enjoyable experience.

Thank you,
MC

P8ntBallBoom
07-25-2004, 11:55 PM
I played today, got shot with red paint. Didn't give a dang. Hit the Dye logo on my glove. (My tendons in my hand are thanking God for that right now, :rofl: )

However, I did leave two very nice marks on my friends. Two torn up welts, one on each person, I mean, at least two milimeters ofskin gone in the circle of the paintball and shrapnel cuts all around it as well as some nice bleeding. One kid had his shirt off so he was asking for it. The other was walking off the field and ended up right inbetween me and another in a firefight due to me trying to bunker him. Neither kid cared, hey, it happens, people get hurt, sometimes the welts bleed like mad, but hey, thats just paintball. I DID turn my velocity down later even though my gun wasnt outshooting anyone elses. We jsut figured it was the two year old ZAP Primer I was using.

So yeah, I guess it really just depends on who you are. We are all pretty laid back about it but we always make sure to be careful. And that is the truth.