PDA

View Full Version : Provide a service to....(testing waters)

punkncat
07-25-2004, 09:39 AM
I have been considering providing a service to repair , upgrade , time , and service mechanical cockers.

I see a good deal of people online who are unable to do this for themselves and dissatisfied with the work done by their local pro shop.

Folks go and buy upgraded parts and then find themselves unable to put it on and make the marker work optimally again. Or have a problem with the marker and are too intimidated by all its working to attempt to fix it.

I have come across several cockers for great prices , as "basket cases" that took me moments to fix, costing the original owner a great deal of wasted money.

I was considering $20 an hour , minimum $20 charge. Owner pays for all required equipment/parts and shipping both ways of course.

Think that would fly? Am I priced right? Too low?

afultz075
07-25-2004, 10:04 AM
I'd say $20/hour would be about right, I see most airsmiths and proshops charge $20-25/hour give or take to fix markers, but charging just a tad lower than most at $20 could persuade more people to go with your services.

Also, make sure you can provide them with a reason to go with you other than someone else.

WenULiVeUdiE
07-25-2004, 11:24 AM
Now I just need a reason to send mine to you. 20 an hour doesn't sound too bad. It's just the shipping part. Most of what you take in will be profit. SO have fun and fix 'em up.

Number13
07-25-2004, 08:56 PM
I'd reccomend charging $17 an hour, customer pays all shipping and parts, min 1 hour fee. A cost that ends in an odd number usually sounds like a deal, a cost ending in an even number sounds expensive (especially 10s) and ending in a 5 sounds "not too bad". People on the net looking for cocker help usually want a deal. Also, there's the wait that they want a discount for. If you can offer same-day-of-delivery service and then send it back that day, then you'd be set to charge more. They overnight it to you, you overnight it back, and then they have their cocker back with only one day down time.

However, start at $20, or even a little more - it's easier to lower prices for your customers than it is to raise them. You'll get business anyways and with higher prices you'll go a bit slower, giving you a chance to get the opperation running smoothly with some trial and error.

Good luck
MC

warbeak2099
07-25-2004, 09:10 PM
I agree. For example, $49 sounds better than $50 to the consumer. Maybe you should put your price at $19 an hour.

BeaverEater
07-25-2004, 09:17 PM
Ya you also need to state why people would come to you instead of a pro shop. What are or would be your qualifications??

scott

punkncat
07-25-2004, 09:38 PM
Well ...
I am a certified airsmith.....for airtools , mostly pneumatic nailers, but the principals are much the same.

I have owned a good deal of mech cockers and have serviced and maintained all of them myself. I have aquired and fixed quite a few cockers from others as I mentioned before. Have built several cockers from scratch. And pretty much get asked to fix and tune every cocker at my local field.

I am not and ex pro shop guy with some big reputation....but I have noticed that I have a knack for fixing and tuning them. Even making them better after an "expert" supposedly already tuned it.

Many people lack the mechanical ability or are too intimidated to take on a cocker. I seem to have a skill for it and am considering trying to market it. I have good feedback as a trader on several forums so that is some piece of mind. Otherwise just a trust I would have to build up as others (dealers) here have.

BeaverEater
07-25-2004, 09:44 PM
Sounds good. If I had a cocker I would probably send it to you. You might also want to get a feedback thread started of different cockers you have fixed. Just my 2 cents.

scott

durtysoufcraka
07-25-2004, 10:46 PM
offer to fully service it and lube that badboy and grease all working parts that need it. strip it clean it re-oil/grease working parts, time it. replace all worn parts or replace all O-rings and market that...i just paid havoc $40 for that service on my E-mag. i'd reccommend adding the strip/clean/oil/replacement as an add-on service for an extra $20. (should include price of all O-rings. this only means you need a collection of all size o-rings for a cocker) that would be worth paying for. i think you should do it. but leave the
...for airtools , mostly pneumatic nailers, out. just a few ideas. good service. when i get a cocker and lots of ups i'll send my bit** to you for sexifying. :)
-durty