PDA

View Full Version : so i bought a computer on ebay...

pbspectre
07-25-2004, 01:14 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5110197286&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

whatcha think? i think $300 was a pretty decent price...it's not a high performance machine yet, but i think it looks like a good place to start from...

opinions anyone? on the setup or what to upgrade first...

Echo419
07-25-2004, 04:09 PM
Thats a really good deal! For 300 bucks you gotta steal on that. The case is pretty nice with that (mine is better, same company though) U have enough ram, the hard drive seems a bit small. So get a Western Digital 40 gb to go with yours. And if u want good graphics for a good price look into the 128mb ATI Radeons for around 100. Also Get some Cold Cathodes and LED Fans for that case, make it looks cool

painball
07-25-2004, 04:59 PM
I hate the case, but otherwise it's a goot deal. And please for the sake of humanity, don't listen to echo. Lights in your case, such as LED fans and cold cathodes, are incredibly tacky.

I recommend you buy a nice, big CRT and a Radeon 9800 Pro.

MarkM
07-25-2004, 05:14 PM
You will soon get bored and annoyed that you have to open the door everytime you want to use the cd drives ;)...the case lights up at the front so that's enough for now. As for adding a 40gig drive??? why bother they are peanuts to buy, spend a sensible amount and get a 120 or 200 gig drive they have dropped loads in price recently and are well worth the cost now...so much so that the money I paid for my 80 gig drive is what you will pay for the 120 gig and still have change.
The graphics card is plenty good enough, no point in spending money when you don't have to, the most that board will go to chip wise is probably around the XP 2600/2800. It looks from the pic that the 512 ram is actually two 256 sticks so add more to the third slot, remember that if you add a 512 stick then it sorta helps if you put it into slot 1 (nearest the processor) and move the other two over doesn't really matter if it isn't that way but some boards can get a little picky about ram placement.

Oh and just to save a few people clicking ;)......

http://i18.ebayimg.com/01/i/02/27/c8/c8_1.JPGhttp://i18.ebayimg.com/02/i/02/27/c8/a3_1.JPG
http://i24.ebayimg.com/02/i/02/28/0f/95_1.JPG

__________________________________________________ ________________________

Computer: AMD AthlonXP 2000+ Please see Pic's for More Detail

Spec's:
Custom Case: SEE Pictures
1.7Ghz Prosser
MotherBoard- SYNTAX K7SV400- and CD
512mb DDR Ram
LG- CD/RW Drive/ 52x32x52 Plus Nero CD
40gb Hard drive- Maxtor
Windows Upgrade Home edition XP CD included
Video Card- Radeon ATI 9200se CD included
No Sound Card- Motherboard Integrated sound
Speakers not pictured: Creative speakers Black Sbs250
Wireless RF Keyboard and Mouse Amptron CD included
Standard Firewire 3ports, Cable included No CD Needed
Modem CD included
6 USB Ports USB Cable included
2 power plugs

Software:
Everything is included all disc's in case you ever need to re-enstall.
Programs Pre- installed are
Quick Time
Mozilla Firefox
Avant Browser
Shrink JPEG
Supreme Office Suite-no disc
Acrobat Reader
Easy CD Creator 5-no disc
Nero-comes with disc
All software Downloaded from web Except were disc's are included.
and some of the window's XP updates have been installed and you'll need to update the rest at Microsoft Update site.

Computer is Priced to sell very good PC.
__________________________________________________ ______________________________

Bluestrike_2
07-25-2004, 05:39 PM
What are you using it for?

If anything color critical, turn off XP's Luna theme. It will interfere with your work. Then, choose classic theme. For your background, a neutral gray.

Also, clean up that case. It's, well, not very neat. (Interior).

Add more RAM. Crucial is, IMHO, the best.

bornl33t
07-25-2004, 06:21 PM
just to put things into perspective...

win xp full version (NOT the upgrade) = 149.99$

so you just payed 150$ for all that other stuff.... that's pretty good ya know.

pbspectre
07-25-2004, 08:51 PM
thanx for the kind words guys...it's primarily going to be a school machine for now, with a bit of video editing thrown in...that, of course, means a bigger HD, but 40gb is fairly small by today's standards anyway...

either way, i figure it's a good platform to start from...

Echo419
07-25-2004, 09:07 PM
Now for my pics...

::edit: the LED fan is orange/red. the dual cathodes are blue. So it appears a periwinkle color it owns (pics make it look blue)

The orange eyes lgiht up with hard drive activity

painTech
07-25-2004, 09:23 PM
thats cool

dyeguy65
07-25-2004, 09:26 PM
not to hijack your thread...but echo...how much did that cost you? im looking into building a comp as well.

pbspectre
07-25-2004, 10:36 PM
damn...that case is wicked echo... :wow:

Echo419
07-25-2004, 10:38 PM
Thanks guys, its just a tech connect computer (a school program u pay 300 bucks and build it in school)

But i installed the custom case lites n such
(i bought seperatly)