PDA

View Full Version : Can you get addicted to weed?

sharpshooter1286
07-26-2004, 01:11 AM
My friend is saying he's gonna start becoming a regular user, and I'm telling him no thats how you're gonna ruin your life you will get addicted, anyways-
eagle8907: shut up thats what you said before
oriOla89 69: ok
eagle8907: are you retarted? thats how people get addicted
oriOla89 69: ...you cant get addicted to weed
eagle8907: thats how ur gonna get kicked out of school for good
eagle8907: yes you can
oriOla89 69: no i wont do anything at school anymore
oriOla89 69: actually you cant
eagle8907: whose to say you wont do it at school
oriOla89 69: teres no addictive things in mcannibis
oriOla89 69: i do
oriOla89 69: trust me im not even gonna think about ti in school
oriOla89 69: thats retarted
eagle8907: how stupid are you
eagle8907: theres no addictive things on a computer, but i cant seem to get off of it
eagle8907: theres no addictive things in most of the food i eat, but that doesnt stop me from eating?
eagle8907: jesus, that almost makes me think that it actually might be a mental problem?

If you can't get addicted to weed, then why can't people stop using it?

BTW, I'm eagle8907.

XxXRyanXxX
07-26-2004, 01:16 AM
yeah, you can get addicted to weed, But also some dont. I have friends that are so addicted, they sell off everything live horribal lives jsut to smoke, then again theres some that smoke for years, stop for months, then pick it up here or there, so really to tell you teh truth, its a kinda yes/no questions..some can, some dont.

xmetal2001
07-26-2004, 01:18 AM
You can get addicted, but its not a physical addiction, its mental.

Setzer
07-26-2004, 01:24 AM
Actually its a chemical addiction. You smoke weed, chemicals replace other chemicals your body makes naturally. If you smoke enough your body completly stops making those chemicals, and your body now requires you to smoke pot. Also it has some pretty nasty effects on your personality and memory. Also it is a gateway drug. I have had many friends that started by smoking pot and saying that they'd never do anything else. Then they started doing shrooms and saying they'd do nothing else. They have also tried heroin, cocain, and regularly use X. Pot lowers your inhabitions, and when you smoke it a lot you may find yourself using other drugs.

Takes a real friend to talk to your friends about this kind of stuff, and you should be commended.

edit: I'd just like to make this note, this is what happens when you smoke a lot of pot. Of course if effects people differently, and some need to smoke more than other people.

skife
07-26-2004, 01:27 AM
personally i think they just get addicted to the feeling, not the weed itself
of course i have yet to smoke any.

drinkin is my game.

TransMan
07-26-2004, 02:24 AM
Yes peopel can get addicted to the feeling no its not chemical because chemical would be physical like cocain and heroin some poepl have bad problems with doing it because they have no self control or arnt very smart. It can effect your short term memory but that will go back to normal when you stop and its not that bad in the first place. And its not a gateway drug anymore then prescription pills or beer is I drank way before I smoked so I guess that means I smoke pot because of beer.... I smoke quite a bit and I dont have problems selling my stuff to get money if I dont have money I just dont smoke and I have no desire to do other drugs I dont even like drinking that much. So It basicly depends on the person does your friend have low self control or depressed a lot because thats a lot of the problem with mental addiction. Depressed people get dependent on it to be happy and people with low self control just cant stop themselves.

Oh and there are another few threads on this subject and I think they got locked so I wondnt be suprised if this one was too.

MagMan5446
07-26-2004, 02:25 AM
I'll tell you guys one thing, nobody on these boards except for transman (to my knowledge) understand pot. Nobody even has a clue what they're talkin about. But that's just because the group of people on AO differs completely from the stoner group, cause they're all out smokin while you guys are blowing your money on paintball. Pot won't make you sell the clothes off your back, it's not that kind of drug.

Plus your body gets back to normal after a month of not using. Even the memory comes back.

Spleen
07-26-2004, 02:36 AM
no.

WickeDKlowN
07-26-2004, 03:08 AM
Mentlly, yes. Physically, no.

Also, no, it's not a gateway drug. Weed dosn't make you want to go do some lines, or shove needles in your arm. It's the people that you hang out with telling you to try it that make you do that, not the weed.

I don't smoke myself, but I mostly hang out with stoners bacause they're generally mellower than others.

bofh
07-26-2004, 08:27 AM
Plus your body gets back to normal after a month of not using. Even the memory comes back.

hehe, that's funny.

Halliday
07-26-2004, 09:07 AM
Oh boy yes you can get addicted.

spantol
07-26-2004, 09:45 AM
If you have an addictive genotype, you can get addicted--psychologically first, physically later, from what I understand--to anything.

If you don't have a predilection for, or a family history of, addiction, you probably won't. Pot in and of itself is fairly benign, as illegal substances go. It's when you're a born addict--when you're born with that addictive genotype--that pot becomes a gateway drug.

silentdeath55
07-26-2004, 10:16 AM
2 (or 1, I cant remember) words, 3 letters, 1 acronym = addiction

THC. Any your friend says there's nothing addictive in marijuana. THC replaces chemical bonds in your brain making it harder/impossible to think straight. It is like having a wall between the electrical signals in your brain, and the connection can't be made. THC is one addicative chemical in weed, but who knows what the dealer/grower is mixing with the plant to make it more addictive. Some of the time they mix in other drugs just so you will get addicted and buy more.

tribalman
07-26-2004, 10:37 AM
ok first things first, i don't know first hand the effects. never done it, never plan to. some of my friends very occasionaly smoke, but i think they've stopped. i've heard stuff about how it leads to harder drugs (to quote dennis leary from no cure for cancer, "pot does lead to other things, carpentry. u know that person, allways found a way to turn something into a bong.") some people say it doesn't. have there ever been any actual test results from the scientists? no. you know why? cause if they find it addictive the'll just raise the penalty for being caught smoking/selling/under the influence of/or holding for a friend. and if it goes the other way and they find it has no real effect than you acting like a dork, then people will be ralling for it to be legal (more so than now). so either way society loses out. so do what do, try not to get involved with pot or people that are insome way involved with it.

Mango
07-26-2004, 10:47 AM
Nah, drugs are not addictive at all. Tell him he'll be fine. http://forums.offtopic.com/images/smilies/ugh.gif http://forums.offtopic.com/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

link here (http://www.brown.edu/Student_Services/Health_Services/Health_Education/atod/marijuana.htm)

Hexis
07-26-2004, 10:51 AM
Look at it this way, smoking pot will lead to posting like this:

Yes peopel can get addicted to the feeling no its not chemical because chemical would be physical like cocain and heroin some poepl have bad problems with doing it because they have no self control or arnt very smart. It can effect your short term memory but that will go back to normal when you stop and its not that bad in the first place. And its not a gateway drug anymore then prescription pills or beer is I drank way before I smoked so I guess that means I smoke pot because of beer.... I smoke quite a bit and I dont have problems selling my stuff to get money if I dont have money I just dont smoke and I have no desire to do other drugs I dont even like drinking that much. So It basicly depends on the person does your friend have low self control or depressed a lot because thats a lot of the problem with mental addiction. Depressed people get dependent on it to be happy and people with low self control just cant stop themselves.

Stay off the weed, it ruins your posting ability.

Benfica4ever
07-26-2004, 11:35 AM
It is really hard to get addicted. I do smoke sometimes and yes my memory isent so great...although i never did have the best memory...i have gotten some cravings, but it was really just feeling like doing some. It doesent really matter to me if i dont do any, if i dont do any im fine, if i do let it be. But stop for about a month and you get back to normal.
Lets not forget about alcohal. Very addicting but people still do it...

InfinatyBPS
07-26-2004, 11:49 AM
Well well well... A marijuana thread, been a while, eh guys? Well I think I'm allowd to have an oppinion on this subject considering I've been smoking for a few years now. From my experience, Marijuana isn't addictive. I did it everyday for about a year, and then just stopped. I had no cravings, no withdrawls, I couldn't get any, so I just didn't do it, it wasn't that big of a deal. Although I didn't want to stop, it wasn't what I would call addiction. And you know what, on top of that I was doing it for the wrong reasons too. Of course I did it to have fun like everybody else, but I now realize that I did it to forget that I was a loser for a few hours. So you would think it would be harder to quit, but it really wasn't. Sure I missed getting high, kind of like I miss going to the beach, I miss having a girlfriend, I miss going to the mall. But I'm not going to kill and rob to do those things. Of course I started again after school started, I don't really know if you can call that addiction. I mean, stopping for 3 months and then starting 3 months later, I don't think addiction lasts that long after not doing it. But really, people can stop, they just don't want to. And if it isn't effecting their life in a negative way, then they shouldn't have to just because of ignorant people telling them not to do it. How do you know if its addictive, how do you know its bad for you, or if it makes you go crazy, or if whatever else the government(who has been telling lies about marijuana for 70 years to keep it illegal) sponsored propoganda that you see on TV tells you? You don't. So why do you force their false facts with no actual real life experience on your part on someone who has actually tried it? I know what addiction feels like, I've smoked ciggarets for longer than I've smoked pot, and well, thats a beyoch to stop. Thats addiction. I think its safe to say I was somewhat addicted to alcohol. I drank every day for a good 2 or 3 months. And I craved the alcohol. But I think its possible that I was just craving an escape from my depression. One more point is, if you've heard the whole the most people in rehab facilities are teens that use marijuana. Well look at it like this, you got cought smoking weed, you have a choice of rehab, or jail. What would you choose? Anyways, I've said what I had to say. You can say its addictive all you want, but until you have some experience in the subject, your oppinions are useless.

MagMan5446
07-26-2004, 12:39 PM
One more point is, if you've heard the whole the most people in rehab facilities are teens that use marijuana. Well look at it like this, you got cought smoking weed, you have a choice of rehab, or jail. What would you choose? Anyways, I've said what I had to say. You can say its addictive all you want, but until you have some experience in the subject, your oppinions are useless.

It's pretty crappy when a pothead has to sit in a room full of tweakers talkin about their tweaker lives. But it's a lot better than being locked up, and you get to hear some cool stories. It's kinda funny when you gotta be like "im here for pot" and they're just like who cares. But CA has some good diversion programs for kids so they don't get locked up. Usually you gotta be violent for that, otherwise they just send you to a group for a while and maybe a class. Experiance is the only way you can understand about anything, especially drugs.

cphilip
07-26-2004, 12:55 PM
I'll tell you guys one thing, nobody on these boards except for transman (to my knowledge) understand pot. Nobody even has a clue what they're talkin about.

Nonsense you little wipper snapper. I was a stoner back in the day Loooooooong before you two even thought about being concieved. And no longer. But you guys think you invented this thing. Take it from me kiddo you not going to have as much experience to use as I can tell you about. Until then you won't listen.

It is physicaly and chemicaly addictive. And its like quiting smoking trying to get off it if you are a habitual user. I know. I done both. And I not proud of it either. Wasted a lot of my time and money on that crap. And got nothing to show for it.

Wake up.

cphilip
07-26-2004, 01:02 PM
And I craved the alcohol. But I think its possible that I was just craving an escape from my depression

Its good you discoved this and it is crutch for not getting real treatment. My first wife killed herself and she indeed used it for a long time to not get help. Eventually its not enough. Good for you realizing it.

Myself I got nothing realy against its occasional use. But some of us are addictive personalities and its not good for us. Its not an answer.

Phelps
07-26-2004, 01:03 PM
Cannabis is not physically addictive. It is psychologically addictive.

http://www.who.int/substance_abuse/facts/cannabis/en/

http://www.drugabuse.com/drugs/cannabis/

cphilip
07-26-2004, 01:07 PM
Cannabis is not physically addictive. It is psychologically addictive.

http://www.who.int/substance_abuse/facts/cannabis/en/

http://www.drugabuse.com/drugs/cannabis/

Nonsense. Your own scource includes this statement development of a cannabis dependence syndrome characterized by a loss of control over cannabis use is likely in chronic users

No one can tell you like someone who experienced it. So take if from me...Thats physical my man.

And things like that are rather variable. Some have a harder time than others getting off Cigarettes. Same with Marajuana

TransMan
07-26-2004, 01:24 PM
Look at it this way, smoking pot will lead to posting like this:

Stay off the weed, it ruins your posting ability.
Ya I guess since my posts are about the same as 90% of the people on here obviously everyone here is smokin away prob right now...... :rolleyes:

Yes Phil has quite a bit of experience but I still dissagree and on the physical addiction part.

JimmyBeam
07-26-2004, 01:31 PM
the addiction you get from pot is the mental addiction of escaping reality. you get to the point where you dont have to deal with anything, and your laid back approach to life is easier than sobriety, so therefore you continue to smoke everyday.

cphilip
07-26-2004, 01:32 PM
Yes Phil has quite a bit of experience but I still dissagree and on the physical addiction part.

Well we can disagree on that. No problem. And it varies how much it is from one person to another just like anything else. And how long. But the question was "Can" you become addicted. And the answer is yes.

cphilip
07-26-2004, 01:35 PM
the addiction you get from pot is the mental addiction of escaping reality. you get to the point where you dont have to deal with anything, and your laid back approach to life is easier than sobriety, so therefore you continue to smoke everyday.

Nope... its physical too. Trust me it can indeed be.

Now will "YOU" become addicted? No one can really say. But you "COULD" is what I am here to tell you.

TransMan
07-26-2004, 01:35 PM
Yes I believe I had the same answer in my first post :)

SuiciDal Sn Y p ER
07-26-2004, 01:37 PM
"Both animal and human studies show physical and psychological withdrawal symptoms from marijuana, including irritability, restlessness, insomnia, nausea and intense dreams"

Wait a minute...they gave marijuana to animals? wonder what that did to that poor little lab rat

cphilip
07-26-2004, 01:38 PM
Yes I believe I had the same answer in my first post :)

Well sort of... if you want to go back and read it.... you sort of said yea and then said no.... sort of... well... erm... ah... :tard: :p

cphilip
07-26-2004, 01:40 PM
"Both animal and human studies show physical and psychological withdrawal symptoms from marijuana, including irritability, restlessness, insomnia, nausea and intense dreams"

Wait a minute...they gave marijuana to animals? wonder what that did to that poor little lab rat

I know they used Beagles at one time too. And pigs. But they could not afford the food bills so they stopped. :rofl:

JimmyBeam
07-26-2004, 01:42 PM
Nope... its physical too. Trust me it can indeed be.

Now will "YOU" become addicted? No one can really say. But you "COULD" is what I am here to tell you.

well send me some of whatever it is your smoking, because ive smoked insane amounts of weed in my life and the addiction has never been physical. ive done other things and felt the physical need to do them again, but ive never felt that from pot

land hurricane
07-26-2004, 01:47 PM
Personally, I could ever be addicted to pot. I was at the point of doing it for about a year, two or three times a day. One day I said screw it i'm stopping, and I stopped without any problems, cravings or anything. On the other hand, I know people who I think are addicted. They tell themselves they are stopping, but never do. And if they go a week or so without pot they because depressed and lay around all day.

It's simple, some people become addicted and some people don't.

cphilip
07-26-2004, 01:47 PM
well send me some of whatever it is your smoking, because ive smoked insane amounts of weed in my life and the addiction has never been physical. ive done other things and felt the physical need to do them again, but ive never felt that from pot

Just give it time my friend. You may be next or you may not be. Are you a cronic smoker is the question? I mean every day multiple times a day for YEARS. Thats the typical physlical withdrawal candidate. But he also has a predispositon for addiction too. Again it varies and it can and does happen.

cphilip
07-26-2004, 01:48 PM
It's simple, some people become addicted and some people don't.

exactly. Same as with anything else.

JimmyBeam
07-26-2004, 01:59 PM
Just give it time my friend. You may be next or you may not be. Are you a cronic smoker is the question? I mean every day multiple times a day for YEARS. Thats the typical physlical withdrawal candidate. But he also has a predispositon for addiction too. Again it varies and it can and does happen.

i started smoking about 12 years ago. granted yes, i do live oin the border of mexico, so the weed is ok commercial, not kind by any means, so maybe that has something to do with it.
and yes for years, i smoked everyday all day. thats what i did...smoke, and when i was done id smoke more. pounds and pounds......but now i cant, you know, job, kid, wife......etc, etc

i do on occasion, but when i finally stopped the everyday thing, other than being bored and wanting to, i didnt have any other problems

rehme
07-26-2004, 03:25 PM
people are different mentally and phyislically

Kevn 419
07-26-2004, 04:15 PM
it kind of makes me mad how everyone thinks if you smoke marijuana you will go on taking a bunch of other drugs and drop out of school and stuff; becasue most people dont. i smoke sometimes here and there everyday and i make good grades in school i do everything im asked to do, and i dont do any other drugs, (aside from a little shroom tea here and there). so basically what i am saying is not everybody gets addicted to marijuana, and if they do, i believe it is more mental than physical. for me, i just get bored and then go smoke, but if i have somethin to do im perfectly fine without it.

i doubt this will make any sense because i am bored as i write this...

MagMan5446
07-26-2004, 04:21 PM
I said to my knowledge transman was the only stoner on here, so don't take offense....

But yeah that's true everybody is different. I've seen girls snort up a line and go nuts over the stuff for a long time.

Only withdrawal symptoms I get is appetite loss and just being bored.

SlartyBartFast
07-26-2004, 05:10 PM
Long-term marijuana use suppresses the production of hormones that help regulate the reproductive system. For men, this can cause decreased sperm counts and very heavy users can experience erectile dysfunction.

Encourage your friend. If he's stupid enough to take up the habit, it may be a service to the community if he loses his ability to breed. :clap:

(aside from a little shroom tea here and there)

Cute using white and all. As soon as you hear any of that justification crap whether it's illegal drugs or socially accepted ones (I'm only a social drinker/smoker) there's a problem. Usually it means you're justifying your addiction to yourself.

What gets me is the hypocritical idiots who smoke up and also go on rants against pollution, chemicals, genetic engineering, etc, etc. What the hell do you think you're doing to your body? How do you think the THC levels have become so high?

And the LACK of hangovers from a chemical is a BAD sign not a good sign. It means the crap is still in your veins.

Then there's the murder, extorsion, and all the other gang related activity you finanace if you're buying the stuff on the street. :mad:

splatattack33
07-26-2004, 07:58 PM
drugs are like bad and they um mess you up and yeha dont do drugs not good for you. youll end up losing in the long run . many a freind of mine been kicked out of school and arrested cause of them

InfinatyBPS
07-27-2004, 01:25 PM
Then there's the murder, extorsion, and all the other gang related activity you finanace if you're buying the stuff on the street. :mad:

You can thank prohibition for that. Also, most of the stuff people smoke is coming from someone's little back yard grow op, right down the street from them. Not some big terrorist group.

MagMan5446
07-27-2004, 01:28 PM
You can thank prohibition for that.

Hey man, I love my pot just as much as anybody else, and liqour is way more dirty than pot, but if pot was legal, nobody would remember anything man. Plus growing would be illegal still for the same reason tobacco is illegal to grow. Then we just have taxed pot, paying like 400+ for an oz.

Chris42050
07-27-2004, 02:05 PM
Hey man, I love my pot just as much as anybody else, and liqour is way more dirty than pot, but if pot was legal, nobody would remember anything man. Plus growing would be illegal still for the same reason tobacco is illegal to grow. Then we just have taxed pot, paying like 400+ for an oz.
Sorry bro but Im gonna have to call you on this. Pot is legal in amsterdam and they have said that a few years after it was legalized the use actually dropped. It would be much cheaper to buy weed also. It would cost somewhere aound the same as cigarettes.

If the government made pot legal or all drugs leagl the world would be a much better place. Yeah thats right everyone. Studies that our tax dollars have paid for have all proven this but the government turns its back on these findings because they dont agree with them. Gangs violence is mostly due to drug territory. Violence in other countries where we get cocaine would be much less. No drug lords. We could earn tax dollars on the drugs instead of spending billioins of tax dollars on fighting (we need to realize we lost the drug war). If people want to use drugs they will. Wether it be legal or not. Our jails would not be filled with non violent drug users. We could actually afford to keep the rapist and violent offenders there. I could go on and on but Im hungry and its lunchtime.

MagMan5446
07-27-2004, 02:43 PM
Sorry bro but Im gonna have to call you on this. Pot is legal in amsterdam and they have said that a few years after it was legalized the use actually dropped. It would be much cheaper to buy weed also. It would cost somewhere aound the same as cigarettes.

If the government made pot legal or all drugs leagl the world would be a much better place. Yeah thats right everyone. Studies that our tax dollars have paid for have all proven this but the government turns its back on these findings because they dont agree with them. Gangs violence is mostly due to drug territory. Violence in other countries where we get cocaine would be much less. No drug lords. We could earn tax dollars on the drugs instead of spending billioins of tax dollars on fighting (we need to realize we lost the drug war). If people want to use drugs they will. Wether it be legal or not. Our jails would not be filled with non violent drug users. We could actually afford to keep the rapist and violent offenders there. I could go on and on but Im hungry and its lunchtime.

Non violent drug users get a lot of chances before they get locked up. Prop 39 i think. They get a lot of chances before most of them realize that dope ain't the way to go. That's not about pot though, and this thread is.

It would be much more than cigarettes. It would be the same cannibus club prices as they have now. Gang violence isn't as much about "drug territory" as it is just some crackheads lookin for some smoke.

Of course this is only in California....

In amsterdamn you can order hash with your breakfast from room service.... everythings legal there man. That's where you go for a vacation.

guysdaman
07-27-2004, 02:53 PM

Yes pot and other soft drugs are legal in Holland, and yes there has been a decrease in the use of pot. However there has been a sharp INCREASE in hard drug use in Holland, specifically heroin. They practically have an epidemic on ther hands in bigger cities like Amsterdam.

Chris42050
07-27-2004, 03:08 PM
Yes pot and other soft drugs are legal in Holland, and yes there has been a decrease in the use of pot. However there has been a sharp INCREASE in hard drug use in Holland, specifically heroin. They practically have an epidemic on ther hands in bigger cities like Amsterdam.
Heroin is still illegal there isnt it. Funny how that works. People who use drugs do it for so many reasons. I think the fact that drugs are illegal is part of the reason some might use them. You know phsycology stuff. You want what you cant have. Or in this case what you are not supposed to have. We all know if you want drugs you will get drugs. I think someone posted here on AO before and said they were a walkin chemistry lab. That about sums me up. I have tried almost everything ever conceived to alter my consousness (damn I know thats not spelled right). I KNOW first hand weed is not physically addictive. Want to talk about physical addiction. Try Methodone or Morphine pain killers. Thats a hell I never want to go back to. I think legalizing drugs with proper education is the answer, not the nonsense they brainwash our youth with would do the World a whole lot better. When kids get older they realize that what they have been told is an exageration or flat out lie in some cases. That makes them go out and experiment for themselves. At least that was the case with me. All the talk about how we shouldnt do it made me want to do it.

MagMan5446
07-27-2004, 03:55 PM
can't understand a users mind,
try with your books and degrees.
but if you let yourself go
and open your mind,
than i bet you be doin like me.
and it aint so bad.

5 points to whoever knows that song. People don't do drugs because they're illegal, they do it for fun. Eventually it ends up owning people, which is what the word "addict" means, to be owned.

By the way, if you know the song than you know what became of the guy that wrote it.

Chris42050
07-27-2004, 04:08 PM
can't understand a users mind,
try with your books and degrees.
but if you let yourself go
and open your mind,
than i bet you be doin like me.
and it aint so bad.

5 points to whoever knows that song. People don't do drugs because they're illegal, they do it for fun. Eventually it ends up owning people, which is what the word "addict" means, to be owned.

By the way, if you know the song than you know what became of the guy that wrote it.
I'm gonna guess Hendrix.

And people do drugs for many reasons. To each his own.

dwab3000
07-27-2004, 04:22 PM
i will tell you right now, i smoked weed for just about 25 yrs..when i quit it was a blow to the head..

tell him not to start, im now slow, mentally ans physically..

as to smoking just like once for a month, i can understand, but what will happen, he gonna start doing it, and he will want more..he wont go out and pawn his car, or sell all his possesions, but thats all hell want to do

as for a gateway drug..thats bull, so much bull, its really the people your with, the people your with expiremtn with say acid, or maybe some coke...they get addicted then they all staart doing and you join in..and gets worse

anyway if he does do drugs leave it legal...scripts for all that need it...

Chris42050
07-27-2004, 04:34 PM
anyway if he does do drugs leave it legal...scripts for all that need it...
Dont do perscriptions. Triplicates are as bad as heroin. Only you dont use a needle.

Phelps
07-27-2004, 04:46 PM
Nonsense. Your own scource includes this statement development of a cannabis dependence syndrome characterized by a loss of control over cannabis use is likely in chronic users

No one can tell you like someone who experienced it. So take if from me...Thats physical my man.

And things like that are rather variable. Some have a harder time than others getting off Cigarettes. Same with Marajuana

I don't think you understand the difference between psychological and physical addiction. Psychological addiction causes physiological symptoms. So does getting worked up over a big exam. That doesn't mean that exams are physically disruptive.

dinger
07-27-2004, 04:47 PM
Rule #1: if you're going to do anything drug-related, make it pot/weed.
Rule #2: Acid is the Devil.

unless you're a drug analyst, doctor, or you actually smoke, you cant say it's addictive.

Why do i say that? oh, because it isn't. if it was, i'd have a quarter upstairs, or i would have smoked today. dont be brainwashed by D.A.R.E. or other BS stories and crap.

the only way you could get addicted is if you let yourself be a total scumbag and think that you're sooo low that you need to smoke and chill. tell you what, if you do that then you suck and you're a big :tard:

smoking's better than drinking alcohol anyways, in my eyes. alcohol impairs you WAAAAAY more than being stoned does, that is if smoking does at all. alcohol destroys the liver and kills brain cells (or maybe it's some other cell...) and makes you just loose. weed will destory brain cells, and if you smoke a TON you'll ruin your lungs. it doesn't take a lot to get high, mind you. that'd make cigarettes even worse than pot!

my buds will drive blazed to hell and be perfectly normal. all he does is engage his Stoner Shades and turn up the music. smoking's for when you wanna just relax and enjoy your surroundings. it's also good for nice BS material at parties. if it's a rainy day and you're feelin gloomy, pack a brownie and just chill out. if you think that you NEED it because you're a total sally that is sad all the time, then you're just out of your small mind.

all in all, dope isn't addictive. it can only be addictive if you lower yourself to clay (thats lower than dirt) and think "oooh snap i need a smoke im so stressed la la la" then you can just eat some celery.

hAppy
07-27-2004, 04:49 PM
I know they used Beagles at one time too. And pigs. But they could not afford the food bills so they stopped. :rofl:
haha

Your friend sounds like he has a problem, looks like he won't cooperate with you. Anyways, I do not REALLY know for a fact if it's addictive. To my knowledge, it isn't addictive. But I have a few good friends who look like they are addicted, they smoke all day everyday, they never have a buck on them, just a while ago they asked me for a buck for a "swisher". They spend almost every dollar they make on weed, I'm glad I don't smoke, or else I wouldn't be playing paintball...

MagMan5446
07-27-2004, 05:41 PM
Rule #1: if you're going to do anything drug-related, make it pot/weed.
Rule #2: Acid is the Devil.

We just had a drug raid in my town, down the street actually. 10000 hits of acid and i missed out.

3 lbs of weed
lb and a half of shrooms
half oz of meth
4 e pills

guy i knew got raided along with another friend of mine, but that guy is on top of his game and didnt get caught up with anything. Heard the other guy was bailing to mexico but i saw him the other day.

That's alice in chains by the way.

Lesta
07-27-2004, 08:46 PM
I had this discussion with my mom (a RN) many a time, and the answer is

No, you cannot become addicted to marijuana.. you can, though, become dependent.

RoadDawg
07-27-2004, 09:02 PM
I have previously smoked. Would I recommend it to others. Yes. It's a good way to free up your mind. It can become habitual but in my case it wasn't. I smoked for 6 months (day to day) and quit with NO problems & NO withdrawls. I wrote some of my best poetry on pot. I NEVER did anything that would put my life in danger (driving, etc). I was not stupid on pot. In fact I had more intellectual thoughts and conversations with others under the influence. I also have a thought that if the world smoked weed, there'd be peace, not greed (taken from a Kottonmouth Kings lyric). Now the reason I stopped was mainly cause of my job area.

Another good quote from KMK lyric: "How much do I spend on weed? Not nearly as much as I spend on legal fees! You'd be amazed at how much it costs to be free."

dinger
07-28-2004, 08:47 AM
We just had a drug raid in my town, down the street actually. 10000 hits of acid and i missed out.

3 lbs of weed
lb and a half of shrooms
half oz of meth
4 e pills

guy i knew got raided along with another friend of mine, but that guy is on top of his game and didnt get caught up with anything. Heard the other guy was bailing to mexico but i saw him the other day.

That's alice in chains by the way.
Rule #3: Shrooms are the Devils advocate, and they taste like **** :o

thats crazy to see that many durrrrgzzz
the most dope i've seen at once was a quarter... now if i took that x64.... oh snap!

cphilip
07-28-2004, 08:52 AM
I don't think you understand the difference between psychological and physical addiction. Psychological addiction causes physiological symptoms. So does getting worked up over a big exam. That doesn't mean that exams are physically disruptive.

Your mincing words to protect your position. Addiction is addiction. Metal or physical. Sorry if you don't want to admit it. If a metal addiction gives you a physical symptom the the addiction is physical. Plain and simple. Your the one that fails to understand. Or wants to write some definition that fits his argument.

cphilip
07-28-2004, 08:53 AM
I had this discussion with my mom (a RN) many a time, and the answer is

No, you cannot become addicted to marijuana.. you can, though, become dependent.

I gotta role my eyes at that one. Double talk. :rolleyes:

BAMFSK
07-28-2004, 09:32 AM
Look i Smoked weed for 7 years and then i got arrested with for felonies because of it, not because i was a dealer but because i was so high i did'nt realize until it was to late the guy i went and got a bag for was a narc and here i thought i was just helping out a pot head and i'am on a year of probation 24 hours CS and 1200 in fines not to mention laywers fees to keep me out of jail and away from felonies. So you tell me is it worth it......And yes i always used to say oh it'' never happen to me i just smoke it i don't sell it

However weed is not addictive like say concaine or heroine is but it does have a mild psycological addiction associated with it. I have tried most drug all of which i dont like besides weed. but now i play paintball instead of smoking. And if you think your gonna be getting paid the big bucks one day at some job and then just going out and buy Half O's cause u can on the weekend your wrong. Working in reasturants is one thing but working in an enviroment where you have to be professional is a completely different. Yet when your young its always fun to do that stuff just realize there is a time and place for it, school and work just ain't it meaning wait till the weekend so you can come back to your sense before monday

But enough of me acting like a parent hell I'm only 21 but i have a good job now and can't afford to F around with that stuff anymore

Warewolf50
07-28-2004, 11:20 AM
Ive smoked a couple of times, alwasy seemeped pointless to me casue all it did was make me extremely tired and i owuld fall asleep wiht out really feeling any of the effects of it. I tried it a couple of times, then got busted by my parents casue i wwas jsut plain stupid and lit up then tried to talk ot my mom then went to sleep at 8 on a fri night. After that i pretyt much jsut stopped i mean it was a waist of money fo rme. I would get the saem effect jsut going out and buying tylenol pm.

And yea i think pot can be addictive, it casue the brain to slow production of serotonin becasue your body becomes dependen on the drug for it. This only happens a lil with pot, but happens more wiht more sever drugs such as coke and herorin. But wiht pot i think a huge deal is mental dependency, i have a friend who seems like he has to smoke everyday, and to him it is a sucess if he goes 3 dasy wiithout smoking. But i also have a friend that was a pretty heavy smoker bout a couple times a week and one day he kjsut saidhe was bored wiht it and stopped smoking. So i guess it al ljsut depends on the person.

CaptaiN_JacK
07-28-2004, 05:18 PM
Mary Jane isn't physically addictive like cigarettes. Cigarettes have nicotine which is physically addictive, mj does not. That's why people smoke cigarettes loooong after they stop getting a buzz, and same with chew. Mj is mentally addictive, because you will most likely always get stoned, unless you smoke an insane amount 24/7, then you have to smoke a ton to get high. All of you who are saying it is physically addictive are confusing mentally addictive with physically addictive. I've *heard* that it doesn't kill bran cells either, and I'm not sure if that's true, but I may have smoked an 1/8 a week for 2 months before the acts and I raped it...

MagMan5446
07-28-2004, 08:51 PM
Mary Jane isn't physically addictive like cigarettes. Cigarettes have nicotine which is physically addictive, mj does not. That's why people smoke cigarettes loooong after they stop getting a buzz, and same with chew. Mj is mentally addictive, because you will most likely always get stoned, unless you smoke an insane amount 24/7, then you have to smoke a ton to get high. All of you who are saying it is physically addictive are confusing mentally addictive with physically addictive. I've *heard* that it doesn't kill bran cells either, and I'm not sure if that's true, but I may have smoked an 1/8 a week for 2 months before the acts and I raped it...

I smoked cigarettes for 2 years and quit last sunday. I haven't had a problem yet...

OysterBoy
07-28-2004, 09:23 PM
Perceived Addiction. It may appear to some who know me (Or rather, think they know me) that I am addicted. This just isn't true. Or, I do not percieve any addiction, I've quit for months at a time. The perception of addiction is created in part because it helps to mellow ones self, and so when they KNOW they are stressed they may crave it. I don't know about all the science behind it, but I personally am not addicted.

TransMan
07-30-2004, 08:03 AM
OK here its is the main reason you cant be physicaly addicted to weed IT STAYS IN YOUR SYSTEM ok it can take a week to about 2 months to get THC out of your system depeneding on how much and how long you have smoked. With it being in your system so long it slowly takes the THC levels in your body down so you dont get hit by withdrawl all off the sudden. If it left your system quickly it would cause you to go through withdrawl physicaly the same way crack or heroin does. Now what doesnt take so long to go away is the feeling its over in a few hours this is why it becomes mentaly addicting the more time you spend beng high the more you want to get high because you dont want the feeling of being high to go away. Now for what reasons you dont want it to go away is totaly your own. Some people just like the feeling and thats it those people are the ones that seem to be able to leave it more easily. Then there are the ones that just want to forget there life, escape from reality, escape depression, etc. etc. Those are the people that can become mentaly addicted because they use the feeling as a crutch.

Ahhh and phil im gonna have to say no just because THC withdrawl can show physical sign doesnt mean its physical for instance the two things I felt the couple times I quit smoking for a while was loss of appitite and trouble gettin to sleep. Sounds physical enough right? Wrong looking back and looking at how I smoke now its simple the sleep problem was because usually smoke late at night and a lot of the time just a couple hours before I go to bed. Coming down from being high makes you tired and allowed me to go to sleep quickly when I stoped smoking I did not have that aid in sleeping so I had to get used to goin to bed all by myself which took about a week to get back to normal. Then theres the loss of appitite this is explained because as we all now smoking gives us the munchies well my body got used to eating basicly all three meals of the day at night I never eat breakfast and rarely eat lunch so when I stoped smokin guess what? I wasn't hungry because I didnt have my little helper to make me mucho hungry so then I had to start eating three times a day like normal people. The thing that got me over that pretty quickly is physical labor when I do a lot of it I eat more I basicly just started working out more and did a lot of work around the house and in a few days my eating habits were normal again.

ZapTheMad
07-30-2004, 08:13 AM
Weed is like sex. It's just something you really like to do. I smoked daily since I was 15 and I am now 34. I don't smoke anymore, I guess I out grew it. I'm sure if it was addictive, I would still be smoking.

MagMan5446
07-30-2004, 11:53 AM
OK here its is the main reason you cant be physicaly addicted to weed IT STAYS IN YOUR SYSTEM ok it can take a week to about 2 months to get THC out of your system depeneding on how much and how long you have smoked. With it being in your system so long it slowly takes the THC levels in your body down so you dont get hit by withdrawl all off the sudden. If it left your system quickly it would cause you to go through withdrawl physicaly the same way crack or heroin does. Now what doesnt take so long to go away is the feeling its over in a few hours this is why it becomes mentaly addicting the more time you spend beng high the more you want to get high because you dont want the feeling of being high to go away. Now for what reasons you dont want it to go away is totaly your own. Some people just like the feeling and thats it those people are the ones that seem to be able to leave it more easily. Then there are the ones that just want to forget there life, escape from reality, escape depression, etc. etc. Those are the people that can become mentaly addicted because they use the feeling as a crutch.

Ahhh and phil im gonna have to say no just because THC withdrawl can show physical sign doesnt mean its physical for instance the two things I felt the couple times I quit smoking for a while was loss of appitite and trouble gettin to sleep. Sounds physical enough right? Wrong looking back and looking at how I smoke now its simple the sleep problem was because usually smoke late at night and a lot of the time just a couple hours before I go to bed. Coming down from being high makes you tired and allowed me to go to sleep quickly when I stoped smoking I did not have that aid in sleeping so I had to get used to goin to bed all by myself which took about a week to get back to normal. Then theres the loss of appitite this is explained because as we all now smoking gives us the munchies well my body got used to eating basicly all three meals of the day at night I never eat breakfast and rarely eat lunch so when I stoped smokin guess what? I wasn't hungry because I didnt have my little helper to make me mucho hungry so then I had to start eating three times a day like normal people. The thing that got me over that pretty quickly is physical labor when I do a lot of it I eat more I basicly just started working out more and did a lot of work around the house and in a few days my eating habits were normal again.

Max it stays in your system is about a month, you can cut it down to 3 weeks if you drink massive amounts of water. If your reasoning was true, than you wouldnt want your next crack hit for 3 days or longer, meth and coke stay in for 3-5 days...

TransMan
07-31-2004, 12:33 PM
The half life of THC in your body is 4 days if you smoke a lot for a long time then it can take longer then a month and thats just to get it down to a level that you can pass a drug test at small amounts will be in your body for a few months.

OysterBoy
07-31-2004, 01:11 PM
I think the 4 days thing is correct, many times I've had 'after-buzz's that spanned friday to monday, and of course me in detention for being 'drunk' in school. I don't beleive its a physical addicition, but I would like to hear all the facts before I light up *Too Late* again. Biological matters are fascinating, yes?

MagMan5446
07-31-2004, 02:12 PM
I think the 4 days thing is correct, many times I've had 'after-buzz's that spanned friday to monday, and of course me in detention for being 'drunk' in school. I don't beleive its a physical addicition, but I would like to hear all the facts before I light up *Too Late* again. Biological matters are fascinating, yes?

Come back in a year, if you're still smoking you won't think about pot nearly the same as you are now....

OysterBoy
07-31-2004, 03:14 PM
Im making an assumption;

Your comment is based on me starting my days as a 'pothead' fairly shortly. I have been smoking (weed) since 2002.

Or your comment still applys to my current situation.

MagMan5446
07-31-2004, 03:22 PM
Im making an assumption;

Your comment is based on me starting my days as a 'pothead' fairly shortly. I have been smoking (weed) since 2002.

Or your comment still applys to my current situation.

Damn i dunno seemed like you havent been smokin too long.

OysterBoy
07-31-2004, 03:59 PM
Remember, I'm in Canada. There is no such thing as WEAK weed here.. :clap: :headbang:

BrEaKcYcLe
07-31-2004, 04:14 PM
http://www.erowid.org/plants/cannabis/cannabis_faq1.shtml#3-20

read that. and yea i'm a toker too

Lesta
07-31-2004, 04:26 PM
cphilip, I would have agreed with you before researching, but there is a distinction...

Automaggin2
07-31-2004, 04:31 PM
Atleast 1/3rd of my entire school smoked pot. I know and have known alot of potheads, most of them rather smart. It does effect short term memory, but after you stop smoking your memory does come back. The only negative effect of pot is damage done by smoke inhalation. Everything you learn in school is BS.

Pot should be legal. It is the safest drug out there.
More people smoke pot now then ever before. Imagine the money it could bring in. If it was legal, you know the government would tax it to hell.

Do you ever read about people dieng from weed?

Will Wood
07-31-2004, 07:19 PM
Pot will become legal within the next 20 years, for sure. A step that would help quicken this would be a cheap and quick way to detect if someone has smoked on the spot.

I smoke generally at least once a week now, usually 2-3.
I probably smoked a good ounce before I ever experienced a high. I thought it was stupid at first... but I kept on doing it, people kept on handing me a joint or bowl. Then I started to experience the high and I was like "woo this is fun"

So I do it alot now...

OysterBoy
07-31-2004, 07:32 PM
The worst I've ever heard in terms of reprocussions was a case of dry heaving / puking, simply because it was their first time and they just hit it too hard.

I'm not saying everyone should smoke weed, but I am happy to just mellow out in front of a movie with a joint, bucket of cookies and a quart of milk. :clap:

f3rr3+
07-31-2004, 08:30 PM
no its not physically addictive, you wont get withdrawl like you would from opiates or another physically addictive drug.

but, it can be mentally addictive just like eating and other such things can become a habit just like cracking your knuckles.

ive known all to many people who, only because of themselves, allowed it to become the center of their lives. and thus, they threw away what they had for what they wanted.

if you have will power you will have no problem, and the only one who can tell you if you can handle it is yourself.

Lohman446
07-31-2004, 08:51 PM
I have never done weed... but I need to take a moment to make a point here.

As stated above, I think it CAN BE addictive, though not everyone who uses (even regularly) is an addict. Take gambling, some people can't stop after doing it just once, and loose fortunes to it. Others spend fortunes they can afford, do it everyday, and can walk away at a moments notice. Just because its addictive does nto mean any single user will become addicted. I smoked for a short time, and quitting was not an issue at all. Same with drinking.. though quitting was an effort on that (and genetic history tells me Im predisposed to alcholism which was a main reason I quit once I thought I was addicted to it).

As for why weed is illegal - it is a poltiical issue (I had a friend who studied this so some things mgiht be wrong) having to do with the Mexican American war over Texas. It is no more deadly or addictive (perhaps less so) than cigarettes or alchohol. That being said - no more addictive or a health hazard does nto mean its good for you. I recommend highly that you don't use any of those above to an extent beyond social usage. Of course Dr Atkins woudl also argue that carbs are highly addictive and dangerous.... slippery slope when we start letting the government tell us what we can put in our bodies. I would agree with those that have said many things that are illegal should not be - both chemicals and acts (prostitution for instance). Anything that does not have a victim outside of those who participate in it should be hard to be illegal. And Im not talking "society" victims, the line needs to be more direct

e mag
08-01-2004, 01:24 PM
I think legalizing drugs with proper education is the answer, not the nonsense they brainwash our youth with would do the World a whole lot better. When kids get older they realize that what they have been told is an exageration or flat out lie in some cases. That makes them go out and experiment for themselves. At least that was the case with me. All the talk about how we shouldnt do it made me want to do it.
Exactly, I have seen so many people try weed and then they think how in school they told you weed was so terribly bad, but it actually isnt so then they think most other drugs probably arent that bad either. and then people think weed is a gateway drug. I guess the position of weed being a gateway drug can never really be proven as fact, but in my opinion it isnt. I know so many people who smoke weed. most only smoke weed, some have experimented with "harder" drugs, and a very few have gone on to regularly use other drugs. There are so many factors that contribute to a person deciding whether or not they experiment with drugs like their personality, surroundings, mentality, etc. Of course there are a lot of cases where weed was a persons gateway drug, but i dont think that makes it a fact. Most people try weed first because in almost any area weed is the most readily available. Also, many people try other drugs because of something like this; they go to their dealer to get some weed, the dealer doesnt have any but has something else, so the person buys that. If weed was legal this wouldnt happen. In my opinion, if marijuana was legal and people were educated about it i think many people who have gone on to harder drugs never would have

Your mincing words to protect your position. Addiction is addiction. Metal or physical. Sorry if you don't want to admit it. If a metal addiction gives you a physical symptom the the addiction is physical. Plain and simple. Your the one that fails to understand. Or wants to write some definition that fits his argument.
yes addiction is addiction, but there are different kinds of addiction. I have never seen a person who stopped smoking weed go through any kind of withdrawal. As someone said, they are addicted to the computer, although a computer obviously has no addictive chemicals. Computers are fun to use, i used be really into computers and you might say i was "addicted", but then i realized how much time i was wasting and completely stopped using them for awhile. Similarly, i have seen many people heavily use marijuana and then completely stop for whatever reason, and be perfectly fine. So while technically any type of addiction is an addiction, being addicted to something because its fun is different then being addicted because you HAVE to. These are just my personal experiences though. I could post hundreds of links to sites that say weed isnt addictive, and im sure you or i or anyone else could find hundreds of sites that say it is. However, i have read many articles online and in magaizines and journals, from legitimate sources, that say marijuana is not chemically addictive. Of course every pro drug source says weed is not addictive and sources from the government and anti drug agencies say it is. However, from what i have read, it seems that the majority of unbiased sources say that marijuana is not addictive and relatively harmless.

I think someone else also said something about weed being dangerous by lowering your inhibitions, which reminded me of two anti weed commercials. One showed some kids who crashed their car after smoking weed, another showed a teenage girl who became pregnant which they blamed on her smoking weed. I think a big problem in this country is the misconception of marijuana being so dangerous and therefor you see ads against it, but you dont see this for alcohol. Alcohol causes so many more accidents then weed, especially among teenagers. Also, i dont know why anti drug agencies feel the need to say that weed will lead to girls being taken advantage of but not say anything about alcohol. Girls being taken advantage of after drinking alcohol is such a bigger problem, especially at colleges. I have never heard a girl say she was taken advantage of after smoking weed.

As for weed becoming legal, i dont think it will anytime soon. I say this because the government would have no way to tax it because it would grow so freely. Someone said it is illegal to grow tobacco, last time i checked tobacco was an unscheduled drug and was legal to grow? the reason you dont see many people growing it though is because it is hard to do so. marijuana however, would grow just about everywhere from coast to coast. Of course the government could make it illegal to grow, but once it was legal to buy i think you would see it grow all over the place whether it was legal or not. I think it is kind of funny that alcohol and tobacco, two very addictive drugs that can lead to serious health problems, are legal while marijuana is not.

TransMan
08-04-2004, 10:13 AM
Tobacco is legal to grow for your own use if your growing it to sell you have to pay permit or summin and then you can sell it and make bunches of money.