PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning rust from a firearm

fire1811
07-28-2004, 09:14 AM
Found some old firearms my grandpa had and was wondering what is the best way to remove the rusty spots?

also if anyone has any info on these firearms feel free to fill me in

1st is a .22LR Its a Marlin Revelation Mod 150m under that is says "Western Suppy Co"

2nd is a Single shot 16 gauge the only thing i can pull of this gun is on one side it says
"Gibraltar" and only other info is serial number A24592

3rd on is a double barrel 12 gauge. info is "Stevens Mod 311A Savage Arms"

thanks for the help

deathstalker
07-28-2004, 09:46 AM
I've always used steel wool to remove oxidation, but I know nothing about the care of firearms so I don't know if anything different is recommended.

rehme
07-28-2004, 12:13 PM
get some break free. they have it at walmart spray it on the gun let it sit for awhile and that should take most of it off but depends on how much rust is on them.

fire1811
07-28-2004, 12:18 PM
there not bad just a few places. looks like just surface rust

thanks

Sparq
07-28-2004, 12:44 PM
Whether this is the proper way or not, I don't know...but I've done it to a .22 LR bolt action and my own air rifle using WD-40 or penetrating oil and a rag. Mildly abrasive scrubbing pads worked well too. My problem was also surface rust...looked like a light dusting of red/brown.

Crighton
07-28-2004, 01:14 PM
3rd on is a double barrel 12 gauge. info is "Stevens Mod 311A Savage Arms"

Thats a fairly common firearm. Still alot of them for sale <$400

fire1811
07-28-2004, 01:17 PM
cool thanks

i did a search on google and found the the .22 and the savage
i just cant seem to find anything on the 16 guage

Crighton
07-28-2004, 02:28 PM
cool thanks

i did a search on google and found the the .22 and the savage
i just cant seem to find anything on the 16 guage

Probably a gibraltar steele barrel/reciever housing. Used most commonly by Empire.
"Empire" was a trade name on shotguns made for Sears & Roebuck & Co. by the Crescent Fire Arms Co.

The Crescent Co. was established in Norwich Ct. in 1892 and manufactured shotguns and handguns. Cresent did not proof mark there products.

Only worth about 75-150 bucks as it's a utility class shotgun.

Irelandunfree
07-28-2004, 05:23 PM
I use something called a Tuff-cloth, not sure on spelling, on my Remington 870. It removes light rusting and also prevents rust from gathering. Sounds like you need something more powerfull but I would use the cloth in the future.

Tunaman
07-28-2004, 05:46 PM
OK. I am gonna let you in on one of my most trusted secrets....
Go grab a couple of pennies and go to town! The copper will remove and displace the rust! It works awesome on firearms. Try it and get back here and tell me how it went. ;)

shortfri
07-28-2004, 06:04 PM
your safest method is to take #003 steel wool, and either wd40 or carborator cleaner. You want to use the finest steel wool you can find. Try to keep both the wd40 and carb cleaner away from the wooden parts of the firearms. What you don't want ot do is scrub so hard that it causes a color varaince in the coloring of the metal. Not trying to hurt your feeling but the double barrel is your most expensive one. If they would have been worth more i would recommend taking them to a gunsmith for cleaning. If any of the rust has pitted the metal then clean it the best you can and use a coloring cayon that matches to fill in the hole to prevent futher rusting. After you have done all this use a slight coat of gun oil. If you plan on storeing them again in something make sure to go easy on the gun oil. Just a real light coat.Yor firearms are more then likely a brown in color this is called patania, gun buyers look at this when they buy a firearm. So you don't want to miss this up.

Tunaman
07-28-2004, 06:07 PM
Using steel wool will ruin the original bluing. Trust me...try the penny. ;)

trains are bad
07-28-2004, 06:11 PM
If youre worried about value, don't do anything to them. I know a guy that took $200 worth of value off something by cleaning the bore.

May I direct you to thehighroad.org?

lew
07-28-2004, 06:18 PM
I use some stuff called Nevr-Dull. It consists of a bunch of little pads that can be reused a lot.
I cleaned the rust off of my cousins replica 1853 Enfield Rifle Musket. The barrel and lock plate were completely covered in rust. When I was done, you wouldn't have thought that it had ever even seen rust.
The only problem is that the date on the can is 1941. I don't think it is in production anymore. :( Oh well, atleast it I know it will probably outlast me. :)

shortfri
07-28-2004, 07:14 PM
0000 steel wool won't damage the blueing, it won't even scratch anno. 0000 steel wool is what is recommended to remove rust and to put cold blueing on firearms. The penny will however scratch the blueing and give the patina a copper coloring.
neverdull is still made. it comes in a blue can. I get mine at a local furnature store. It's made to polish brass and copper. it will remove rust and put a protective coat on blueing but i wouldn't recommend it on older firearms due to the chemical compound it contains. it changes the patania.

skife
07-28-2004, 08:08 PM
0000 steel wool won't damage the blueing, it won't even scratch anno. 0000 steel wool is what is recommended to remove rust and to put cold blueing on firearms. The penny will however scratch the blueing and give the patina a copper coloring.
neverdull is still made. it comes in a blue can. I get mine at a local furnature store. It's made to polish brass and copper. it will remove rust and put a protective coat on blueing but i wouldn't recommend it on older firearms due to the chemical compound it contains. it changes the patania.

well never dull was made in 1941, i dont think it would affect it much do you?

meh, never dull works decent on alumnium too, i've used it on my radio controlled boat rudder and pipes and such.... till i sold the boat on ebay.

fire1811
07-28-2004, 10:38 PM
cool

thanks for the replys guys

as for the value im really not worried about it was just wondering. didnt want to be out shooting a treasure :)

should clean them up tomorrow will let you know how it goes

shortfri
07-29-2004, 06:13 PM
your can might have been made in 1941, but my last can was made in 2000. And yes it will affect the blueing and metal. I stopped useing it and started using flitz. It cleans brass and stuff better, but has a longer lasting coat then neverdul. cost about the same and there is less muscle power involved with flitz. But i wouldn't recommend using either on an older firearm. Like i said steel wool and wd40 and a light coat of gun oil. or if it's all you have 3 in 1 oil