PDA

View Full Version : HFD Trigger Frame - 'Corsair'

OysterBoy
07-29-2004, 09:32 PM
Hey, new thread for the planned double trigger, working name 'Corsair'.

In Progress Photos:
http://img59.exs.cx/img59/6262/Corsair1.gif

I've been in contact with a local mill, using Stainless Steel (Mild 1008) we can get the cost under 50.00 USD (retail that is). This is if we do a run of 100, so, we would be out upwards of 1,800.00 or so. This price, 50 USD, should include the price of the frame, complete with trigger and grips. We are still debating whether or not to fabricate our own triggers or to buy some from a dealer. The grips will (We are hoping) be from Heather, so depending on the price she gives us the estimated frame price may vary. For 'water cooler talk', consider the price of the frame to be 70 USD. The turn around, if anyone should buy, will be as quick as possible, although some things will need to be done by hand; the safteys and trigger-pins will have to be set in with a press, as with any other frame. I have the CAD file nearly finished, I'll keep you all updated.

Short Version:

EST Price: 70 USD
ETA: (Optimistic) October 04

eddie885221
07-29-2004, 09:37 PM
sweet frame, i like how the snatch grip is built in

personman
07-29-2004, 09:39 PM
Well, that's.. unique..
Looks pretty good, actually.
Good luck man! Hope it all works out and they sell well :headbang:

OysterBoy
07-29-2004, 09:40 PM
Thanks! We are taking a risk by making the snatch built in, but so far I haven't heard any major objections..

tony3
07-29-2004, 09:40 PM
Sorry, but that is horrible, and very ugly. Price sounds too good to be true.

OysterBoy
07-29-2004, 09:41 PM
Sorry, but that is horrible, and very ugly. Price sounds too good to be true.

Thanks for the comments (Read: Post that brings this topic to the top)

:cheers:

68magOwner
07-29-2004, 09:46 PM
proportions of trigger guard to frame look off, and is the back of the frame gonna be rounded, or angled as shown, also looks a lil thin. for that price i might buy one (if i had a mag)

team unwanted
07-29-2004, 09:47 PM
i guess like looks pretty cool :cool:

Skoad
07-29-2004, 09:58 PM
bandwidth limit exceded.

and i am pming you

OysterBoy
07-29-2004, 10:02 PM
proportions of trigger guard to frame look off, and is the back of the frame gonna be rounded, or angled as shown, also looks a lil thin. for that price i might buy one (if i had a mag)

The back of the frame should be angled slightly, that is the main 'hump' of the frame.

Let me elaborate;

I have found that I can squeeze of quicker shots by curling my hand up and around the frame. Similar to how one would hold a vert frame while firing fast. The 'hump' is intended to give you an extra bit of leverage; I've actually tried taping layers onto the back of my CF frame and and have personally gotten a better feeling. Now I know, this doesnt apply to everyone, so they should be able to fire their regular way.

WickeDKlowN
07-29-2004, 10:05 PM
Pic's don't work.

I can host them if you want, shoot me an email(shroomie@gmail.com) or pm.

OysterBoy
07-29-2004, 10:15 PM
As for the price being so low; this is really a no frills frame; 2-Axis milling, so it won't look too fancy. Think, better version of the Carbon Fiber frame. We can still do logos, custom by request of the buyer.

Bad_Dog
07-29-2004, 10:17 PM
I wanna see!

get those pics back up..

magman007
07-29-2004, 10:21 PM
are you serriously going to make it out of STAINLESS? what is the point? i wouldnt buy a stainless frame il tell you that, especially when there are nicer looking, equally if not better performing AL frames avail.

_tMAN
07-29-2004, 10:21 PM
picky no worky

get something besides a crappy village photo account

OysterBoy
07-29-2004, 10:30 PM
To be honest, the main reason for having them made of Steel was because of the 'special offer' . Called them back up, using aluminum we can maintain the Estimated Price of 70 USD, that could change (lower, I promise) over the course of this. I've done a bit of restyling to the trigger guard to resemble the Intelliframes inward curve. Looks much better now, I'll try to get the pics to a decent web host.

Blennidae
07-29-2004, 10:45 PM
It would probably be easier if you just uploaded the pics into the thread instead of linking them. That way everyone wouldn't get the bandwith exceeded" message.

If I were you I'd forget about the stainless. People want it lightweight and for it to be able to be anodized. Any deal you get on the stainless you'll end up eating when they dont sell. There are a lot of frame options out there as it is. You have to be competitive. Just a suggestion.

OysterBoy
07-29-2004, 10:49 PM
It would probably be easier if you just uploaded the pics into the thread instead of linking them. That way everyone wouldn't get the bandwith exceeded" message.

If I were you I'd forget about the stainless. People want it lightweight and for it to be able to be anodized. Any deal you get on the stainless you'll end up eating when they dont sell. There are a lot of frame options out there as it is. You have to be competitive. Just a suggestion.

Yea, the steel is out. :p

I'm gonna go get some rest.. Peace all.

Wicked Clown should have the older pics up... Matter of fact, dont upload them, Clown, I'll send you some new pics.

Thanks.

Bad_Dog
07-29-2004, 11:00 PM
www.imageshack.us

I wanna see!

WickeDKlowN
07-29-2004, 11:18 PM
http://shroomie.ho8.com/corsair/

there's the 1st batch. I'll up the new ones as soon as he sends 'em.

OysterBoy
07-30-2004, 07:21 AM
Thanks, I've sent the newer pics over.

Rogue, I have a question for you (Or CoolHand, or anyone else). Is your frame one piece or is it two? I ask this because when making room for the sear, the only way we can do it is to make the trigger a two piece, each side with reduced sides, so when they come together its one frame, hollowish core. May make the grip even cheaper if its just one piece but I think that would require more then 2 Axis milling.

chairman_mao
07-30-2004, 08:01 AM
Will this have intellifeed capabilities? Will you anno be available? If so what will the extra cost be for that?

OysterBoy
07-30-2004, 08:27 AM
For now, I don't think we will include any Intellifeed options. There may be room for the parts, to be honest I'm feeling under the weather so I'd rather not do the measurements to see if the battery and roller would fit.

Paintjobs will be done with automotive grade lacquer and baking process, buyers choice of finish. Solid colors until we learn to manipulate the spray guns a bit better ;) . I would estimate an increase of 10. Black will be done if the buyer doesnt specify a color, and it will not cost any more.

dynastyfan
07-30-2004, 09:55 AM
not a big fan of it yet im sure if i see some real pics of it i might change my mind but i dont think it looks really good at the moment

Adrenaline_Junkie
07-30-2004, 10:03 AM
I dont really like it that much, looks relly wierd and im not diggin the built in snatch grip at all. I guess for 50 bucks or w/e it may be worth it to someone.

Creative Mayhem
07-30-2004, 10:14 AM
For now, I don't think we will include any Intellifeed options. There may be room for the parts, to be honest I'm feeling under the weather so I'd rather not do the measurements to see if the battery and roller would fit.

Just FYI, the intellifeed option does NOT include a battery in the grip, it's merely a roller switch and wires that run ot from the bottom. Definately a plus for ANY frame. IMO you would be smart to design it into this frame while you are still in the prelim phase. LMK if you have any?

OysterBoy
07-30-2004, 11:17 AM
Will do, CM.

Guys I apreciate the comments but you may want to reserve judgement until you see the newer version; looks much better in my opinion.

WickeDKlowN
07-30-2004, 04:23 PM
http://shroomie.ho8.com/corsair/Style 2 3D-1.gif
http://shroomie.ho8.com/corsair/Style 2 3D-2.gif
http://shroomie.ho8.com/corsair/Style 2 CAD.gif

There's the new ones.

OysterBoy
07-30-2004, 05:03 PM
Thanks again Clown. Never did say what you thought of them..

WickeDKlowN
07-30-2004, 05:42 PM
The way the grip slopes down is kinda odd looking but it has some potential. Like CM said, Intellifeed mounts is a real plus on frames.

Also, Al relly is the way to go. It's lighter and you can anno it. Steel you have o ge powdercoated, which imo, looks nowhere's near as good as annodizing.

Bulldog
07-30-2004, 06:41 PM
Interesting....Kind of reminds me of a wild west six-shooter.

xmetal2001
07-30-2004, 08:42 PM
You have reached your daily traffic limit

OH NOES! :eek:

WickeDKlowN
07-30-2004, 08:52 PM
You have reached your daily traffic limit

OH NOES! :eek:
Check my pevious couple posts.

tyrion2323
07-30-2004, 09:46 PM
I like the idea, but the actual grip looks uncomfortable and awkward. I highly recommend smoothing it out and giving it a more vertical look. if you wanted to make a slightly angled (but mostly vertical) grip frame, that'd be a nice chance.

Oh_Davey
07-30-2004, 09:57 PM

Exactly what I thought.

Dayspring
07-30-2004, 11:28 PM
And you're getting frip panels for this made by?

personman
07-30-2004, 11:30 PM
The grips will (We are hoping) be from Heather, so depending on the price she gives us the estimated frame price may vary.

OysterBoy
07-31-2004, 10:21 AM
I like the idea, but the actual grip looks uncomfortable and awkward. I highly recommend smoothing it out and giving it a more vertical look. if you wanted to make a slightly angled (but mostly vertical) grip frame, that'd be a nice chance.

We were considering making the frame vert but with the RPG, Logic, and Jackel frames, there is just too much competition for that market. .45 Frames and Y-Grip style frames have yet to be covered extensively (Although the AGD offered ones will do just as good as any other..). One of the concept frames we've come up with is odd to look at, but when I made a proto out of wood it felt very comfortable. the grip angled up from the bottom as usual on a 45 frame, but just before the trigger guard it junks back like a Y frame. Perhaps it was just the smoothness of the wood version but it felt very sweet. Again, this is my opinion, many would disagree..

WickeDKlowN
07-31-2004, 10:56 AM
Latest batch of pics: http://shroomie.ho8.com/corsair/refined

OysterBoy
07-31-2004, 01:20 PM
Thanks Klown. Last time, I swear.. :).

The CAD design is totally to spec now, as far as dimensions go. As I learn CAD I will be figuring out how to get the Sear housing milled (Current way around my 'inelegance' of CAD; 3 plates per frame, the pics you see will be on the outside, with a third trigger frame inside, a bit beefier, and with exposed portions for the sear / Twist lock assembly. Not a great method, but even so the frame price can be retailed at 70USD). I'm learning, AO.. :)

I will also be trying out the various frames that my shop owners had (DYE single and double triggers, 32*, benchmark, Intelliframe, Z-Grip), and see how they preform. The ones which dont seem right (I bet: 32*, Benchy, and DYE :D ), I will be examining and comparing to my design to see if I can avoid some of the mistakes they have made.

I will not have a cheaper version of the Benchmark Frame sold under my name / company.

tony3
07-31-2004, 01:24 PM
The grip frame is too narrow IMO, and the trigger guard looks way to big, try to go with a better looking trigger guard that doesn't look like the one on intelliframes. I'll try to whip up a little pic in a second.

OysterBoy
07-31-2004, 01:27 PM
Just so its known (Thanks for the comments by the way, tony), if we do anymore changes to the design they will not be posted, at least, not with Klown; thats not fair for him (Unless he has the ability to delete pics from his server... bloody Rogers webspace.... ). I'm not all that happy with the guard myself...

tony3
07-31-2004, 01:38 PM
Oyster, register on www.jayloo.com unlimited hosting, and its super easy.

OysterBoy
07-31-2004, 01:55 PM
I'll try registering again with FireFox, I can't for some reason with IE. Thanks tony.

SpecialBlend2786
07-31-2004, 06:16 PM
Yeah, I like 'em alot. Deffinitly unique :)

OysterBoy
08-01-2004, 07:28 PM
w000000000000....t.

CAD = My *****

http://img59.exs.cx/img59/6262/Corsair1.gif

http://img59.exs.cx/img59/623/Corsair2.gif

http://img59.exs.cx/img59/4061/Corsair3.gif

http://img59.exs.cx/img59/15/Corsair4.gif

The frames will be made of ABS, the same type of plastic use in Airsoft guns. The frames will (We are hoping) feature the infamous 'Fireblade' trigger that RR Fireblade and Coolhand released, as well as some custom grips from heather (Once here situation is back to normal.. viruses = Teh Suck).

The symbol to be featured on the grips:

http://img21.exs.cx/img21/4418/HFDBrainLogo.png

We will have the grips black, with these symbols in the middle, varying colors. What i think we may do, is have Heather make the grips and have them shipped with the frames, and then when the buyer recieves the frame, they will have a 'code'. Once given to heather, they can choose which color they want. This is all just an idea though, Heather is quite busy at the moment.

We will have a prototype made shortly, I will see what needs to be fixed.

Adrenaline_Junkie
08-01-2004, 08:29 PM
Wow, that looks a lot better than the original pic of it. Depending on what the final thing looks like i might have to pic one of these up and build a new mag. Keep it up oysterboy, you cant beat $50 bucks for a custom, limited edition frame.

personman
08-01-2004, 08:32 PM
Dude, why is there a giant hole for adjusting the twistlock?
1. With the ULE almost no one uses the twistlock anymore
and
2. You dont need to constantly adjust the twistlock so that hole is unnessescary..
Unless I'm missing something? :tard:
Other than that it looks great.
Edit: Needs a safety :)

OysterBoy
08-01-2004, 08:40 PM
Yup. Actually, even that pics is slightly outdated :)

As for the twist lock; I still use it, many others may still use it, and since this is meant to be a no frills, second upgrade frame, I'd assume they are using twist lock. Lastly, we dont want a frame that cant go with the twistlock assembly. If your reffering to the extra holes on the bottom of the guard; a CAD accident turned stylish :) I should add; the grip frame will have 4 mounting holes on the bottom of the frame for better positioning.

Peace.

Adrenaline_Junkie
08-01-2004, 08:46 PM
The final product should be great, it does need a saftey though like personman said. I think i already have a few people that may be interested in buyin the final product if it turns out as good as i think it will.

OysterBoy
08-01-2004, 09:19 PM
The dream...

http://img68.exs.cx/img68/2325/CorsairMockup.png

tyrion2323
08-01-2004, 10:02 PM
Here's my idea for the Corsair:

http://www.elementpaintball.us/Gallery/Corsair1.jpg

personman
08-01-2004, 10:49 PM
Yup. Actually, even that pics is slightly outdated :)

As for the twist lock; I still use it, many others may still use it, and since this is meant to be a no frills, second upgrade frame, I'd assume they are using twist lock. Lastly, we dont want a frame that cant go with the twistlock assembly. If your reffering to the extra holes on the bottom of the guard; a CAD accident turned stylish :) I should add; the grip frame will have 4 mounting holes on the bottom of the frame for better positioning.

Peace.
Well, I wasnt suggesting you take out the twist lock, I was wondering why the hole went all the way through the frame? :tard: It looks kind of bad.
Anyway It looks great. I'm sure they will sell great.

OysterBoy
08-02-2004, 11:26 AM
Here's my idea for the Corsair:

http://www.elementpaintball.us/Gallery/Corsair1.jpg

What did you change?? lol.

Happy to see you like it, personman.

Dayspring
08-02-2004, 11:39 AM
It's a fine grip, if you hold your gun like a real gun- at arms length. When was the last time you held a gun like that in a game?

tyrion2323
08-02-2004, 06:08 PM
Hey OysterBoy,
Here are the modifications that I made:
(1) rounded out the back so it's a mix between a vert grip and a 45 grip.
(2) thinned out the trigger guard a bit
(3) thinned out the snatch grip a bit
(4) rounded off some of the sharper edges.

The Frymarker
08-07-2004, 05:17 AM
I'm back up and running now :) If you want some mock up pics grips for now, send me a flat version of the frame, not turned, and your logo as a two dimensional bitmap.

For the actual grips being made I will need a frame to go by.

Let me know

Email me diva7@att.net

Battlewear
08-07-2004, 08:04 AM
Looks like a cool frame!!

I love the " future pic" look, it looks really good :)

Not sure if I would buy one, just because I am sort of saving up for the hAir, but if made from ABS, it should be very light I would think, and THAT part has my attention!! :)

But here is my question.. Only because I am basically coming back into the sport after being gone for about 5 years.. What in the world is a Snatch Grip?? I see it on the end of the frame and have seen the pics of the one's Rogue does, but what in the world is it for?

Just my 2c :cool:

OysterBoy
08-07-2004, 08:31 AM
Good to hear, Heather!

For now our efforts are being put into the CF Mod Kit, it is a lower cost project that will both A) Help to soften the blow, financially wise and B) Give us time to refine the design and collect money needed. The biggest hitch in the project ; my main CAD application went haywire, its being looked into now.

Welcome back to the sport, Battle Wear. The snatch grip was made for electro guns with hair-sensitive triggers as a place to hold the gun. This prevented accidental mis fire, but it was also a neat way to hold the gun. As guns changed, more and more started incorporating them or offering them aftermarket, with no real reason. But it does help when the game starts, I personally hold my gun by the 'snatch' to get a bit more run. So there you have it. In my frames case, its just there for looks and another way to haul the gun. No accidental misfires with a mag.. :)

GT
08-07-2004, 09:45 AM
well,
if this is going to be CF you need to take a few notes from AGD's CF frame. take a closer look at the internal bracing throughout the frame. Remeber to add the square nuts to the bottom of the frame so you can attatch a tank.

gt

OysterBoy
08-07-2004, 12:13 PM
No, these frames will be ABS. I was reffering to the CF Frame Kit we are producing, it is a low cost way to turn your stock, single CF frame into a tourney legal double trigger.

GT
08-07-2004, 12:45 PM
No, these frames will be ABS. I was reffering to the CF Frame Kit we are producing, it is a low cost way to turn your stock, single CF frame into a tourney legal double trigger.

Maybe I am confused,
I was under the impression that all of the CF, Thermoplastic, ABS, etc... were all poured into a mold and not milled?

tippmannsniper-
08-07-2004, 01:10 PM
it kind of looks like a revolver :(

OysterBoy
08-07-2004, 01:35 PM
Maybe I am confused,
I was under the impression that all of the CF, Thermoplastic, ABS, etc... were all poured into a mold and not milled?

Now I'M confused.

Its simple really.

Our frame = ABS

Stock frame = CF

We will be selling conversion kits, instructing where to make the cuts on the trigger frame and how to install the new double trigger.