PDA

View Full Version : Automatic Cascade Fill System

SlartyBartFast
07-30-2004, 12:12 PM
Sort of an unscientific marketing study.

Do you think there would be a market for an electronically controlled automatic cascade fill system?

How much do you think such a system would be worth? (storage tanks and compressor not included)

If you answer greater than $2000 in the poll please say how much you think it would be worth in your reply.

The system would be set-up to monitor any number of storage tanks (modular and expandable) and would automatically open and close the required valves to fill a tank using the lowest pressure storage tank first and working up to the highest pressure tank.

To maximize safety, the system will meter the air flow so as to fill cylinders at the recomended rate and not perform instantaneous flash fills.

Optionally, a compressor could be added to the system to recharge one of the storage tanks while the others served duty for cascade filling.

Operation would consist of connecting the tank to be filled to a fill hose and pressing a button, completion of the fill would be indicated by LED illumination or simply a pressure guage.

gorymonkey2
07-30-2004, 12:17 PM
that sounds pretty cool dude, if i had the money i would buy it.

SlartyBartFast
07-31-2004, 09:48 PM
Judging by the response, it's might not be such a good idea. :(

Curly
07-31-2004, 10:44 PM
Well, since the majority of people on AO do not own fields, or have any use for this product, I wouldnt use any data you collect here. It does sound like a good system I wouldnt mind using.

SeeK
07-31-2004, 10:53 PM
Judging by the response, it's might not be such a good idea. :(

There's usually a big difference between a good idea and an economically practical one.

This is a good idea. It's just too much for a market that struggles to justify existing technology like 5K fills, a proper cascade fill system, or fill tank containment systems.
How many fill stations has anybody seen that had the capability to fill more than 1 tank at a time. The biggest manifold I've seen is 6 or 8 stations at Challenge Park Extreme. They only do 3K fills with it and while not flash fill it does take 30-60 seconds to fill.

SlartyBartFast
08-03-2004, 03:42 PM
Thanks for the kind words. :)

I realise that it's a product that would be aimed a fields. I'm going to price the valves this week to get a ballpark figure for what this thing would cost.

The 2/3 way solenoid and solenoid cut-off valves I found are rated at 6000psi and are available in AC and DC models. Figure the DC model would be perfect for fields as the whole thing could operate of a car or boat (deep discharge) battery.

I'm not so sure that it will be economically viable. After all, the HPA industry has been going for quite some time and cascade fill systems are nothing new. If an automated fill panel were really a good idea, I think someone would have marketed one by now.

Oh, well. The napkin design exercise keeps my brain busy. :rolleyes:

_tMAN
08-03-2004, 03:53 PM
I think it is a great idea. Finding a price is going to be difficult, try seeing what the flash fillers are running for right now.

SeeK
08-03-2004, 11:22 PM
Something to work on would be to bring the price of compressors down. If Home Depot can sell a gas powered 2800 psi power washer how hard could it be to adapt the engine to an air compressor. The biggest part would be to figure out the dryer system.

SpecialBlend2786
08-04-2004, 01:27 AM
Sounds like a great idea, as long as it doesn't fill the tanks up way too fast. Does that make sense? I mean, it may be hard to top off a tank using that system.

Tis a great idea though, i hope everything works out :clap: