PDA

View Full Version : Need some Classic Mag help

Che124
07-30-2004, 04:52 PM
I just got a 68 automag yesterday and i am having the hardest time with it. It has a "prestar" A.I.R. valve, AM/MM rail, powerfeed left body, AGD single trigger frame, Shocktech long drop with matching on/off ASA, and a 10" dye boomstick. I gassed it up for the first time today and everything seemed to work well. I put a hopper with some paintballs in it on and fired. The first shot had hardly enough speed to make it to the tree I was aiming at 25 feet away. I figure, no biggie, just raise the velocity. So I get an allen wrench and turn the knob in the back a full turn to the right. I pull the trigger and the whole thing goes crazy. Air is coming out of the overflow hole in the ASA on the drop and theres not enough air getting to or through the valve. it sounds like the valve may be leaking as well. I have no idea what to do... any suggestions?

Smitty2
07-31-2004, 09:25 AM
I know there is a spring between the two halves of the vlave with a pin on it. Sometime that comes loose and the gun doesn't quite work right. One of the o-rings in the front part of the valve could have come loose or turned sideways. I'm sure someone here knows a lot more than I do and they could help out.

punkncat
07-31-2004, 10:34 AM
Any air coming out of the ASA is not related to a problem with the valve.
Check your tank oring , look for debris in the ASA , try another tank.

With the valve. How long since its been used? Does it need oil?

When you fired it , did it make a funny noise ...I can't really describe it , kinda like "choik"/"bhuuuck" as you fired the ball?

When you turned up the velocity , did air start coming out the back of the valve , if not where?

Has the trigger been messed with on this marker? Same on/off assy as came with the valve?

Where you using HPA or CO2? If on CO2 were you pulling up liquid?

Che124
07-31-2004, 11:59 AM
Well, im thinking that air is coming out of the ASA because something in the valve is blocked up and not letting air through. Im using HPA, not CO2. The guy I got it from said he shot it a little bit before he traded it off. I dont know how to oil it or what oil to use. When i turned up the velocity and fired the ball, air did come out the back of the valve.

JT Pimp
07-31-2004, 01:21 PM
If u take off the valve on the under side there are two holes that have oil in the center of it. Put oil in there and alittle in the ASA. I had the same problem on mine but oil did the trick, also play with the pressure, takes a few shots to seat the velocity thingy.

Che124
07-31-2004, 03:13 PM
alright, just a little update...
the ASA problem is fixed.
The valve is oiled and thats not the problem
I know what the problem is, but I dont know how to fix it... should be simple tho

I gas it up and it is perfect. the sear sets behind the trigger and its ready to shoot. I take 3 to 5 shots and the valve is literally sliding back away from the body. It shoots until it slides too far back and cannot cycle properly. How do I fix this? Do I need a lighter spring over the bolt? i dunno. both frame screws are in properly I think. The back screw goes into the valve like it should and the front one doesnt hold the valve in right? well, im at work for 5 hours so ill check up on this in about 6 hours.

craltal
08-02-2004, 10:47 AM
Make sure the screw at teh back of the grip frame is secure. The valve assemble shouldn't move.

BAMFSK
08-02-2004, 11:23 AM
replace all o rings

personman
08-02-2004, 11:43 AM
Make sure you have a rail bushing. (http://store.airgun.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.prodInfo&productID=209&categoryID=16)

Enemy
08-02-2004, 05:18 PM
you are probably missing a rail bushing ive heard of this problem before and that is usually the cause also when adjusting velocity one full turn should move atleast 100fps so remember that for future reference!

Che124
08-02-2004, 07:19 PM
hmmm, I dont see any such piece that resembles a bushing... this may very well be my problem. i'll get one ASAP and see if it fixes it.

personman
08-02-2004, 08:02 PM
By the way, I dont know if you know where to look for a rail bushing.
It should be sticking out of the little hole in the body rail that you put your field strip screw through. The grip frame goes over it. Its just a little metal sleeve.
Rail bushings are the dardest things, I swear. If you're missing it all sorts of crazy things start to happen.

Che124
08-02-2004, 11:40 PM
just making sure... the field strip screw is the one that passes through the back of the frame, through the rail, and into the valve to keep it in place? And the bushing should be around that screw? If what I just said is true, my mag is one bushingless automag.

craltal
08-03-2004, 08:23 AM
correct. th ebushing resides in the hole in th erail that the screw goes through. It is possible to operate without it, but it does make things a bit more tempermental. You could probably find one at Home Depot, or whatever passes for a home improvement store in your area

personman
08-03-2004, 09:41 AM
Here is a bad picture of a rail but you can still see the bushing
Its sticking out of the bottom of the rail on the right.
Yes, the field strip screw is the one that goes insto the valve through the back of the frame.
Also I would not try finding it at home depot.
http://www.automags.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=24832&stc=1