PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question: Saving Images...

mjs1217
08-02-2004, 11:55 AM
Hey all, I got a quick question...
If I go on a website, right click a picture, and save it, is there any way that the webmaster could know that I saved one or more of his images? (I wouldn't remote link it or anything, but say he didn't want people saving his images. Could he know?)

Also, is there anyway for someone to contact you by just having you visit their site? Like, the IP is recorded, and from that they fidn your internet account name and send an email to the account's email address?

Thanks,
-mjs

ß?µ£ §mµ®ƒ
08-02-2004, 01:25 PM
As long as you dont advertise and use copyrighted images you can save them all you want for your own purpose, if they didnt want you to take images there are ways to let you not download images, and in that case that person wouldnt care in the first place if they had that system then

WickeDKlowN
08-02-2004, 01:26 PM
No. They can see tha you've loaded the image, but not that you've saved it.

Also, chances are, they rn't going to go through the effort to contact you. They would have to go through th log to get your ip, do a whois lookup to get your isp, then call your isp to get your email. Then, chance are your ISP still won't give it to them.

If they really didn't want you to get the images, they could write a small javascript that disables right click, but Firefox has an extention that still lets you save them. Or you could be a :ninja: and snake in the back way by going though the source and finding the urls to the pics.

Just curious, why are you worried about it? Looking at things you shouldn't be? ;)

mjs1217
08-02-2004, 02:29 PM
Well, I DO look at things I shouldnt (lol JK :D ), but thats not why I ask. I'm planning on buying a URL soon, and I wanna protect my stuff.

But yea, I would need to get a code to disable right-click, and something to protect the source right?

I wanna share the source, cause I think all information should be free, but I dont want the pictures being saved.

Meh, Idunno I guess its sorta pointless. I mean if someone wants the images bad enough, they can take a screenshot of em lol.

Thanks for the help,
-mjs

Ironmag
08-02-2004, 05:04 PM
Disabling the right click java script is really easy in IE. If someone want the images, there is always a way to get them.

nippinout
08-02-2004, 07:14 PM
I can always look at the temp files to get the images or take a screenshot.

If I couldn't and really wanted the picture, I'd put a piece of paper on the monitor and bust out the crayons. :ninja: :D