PDA

View Full Version : Pocket Bikes

Pballwizz
08-02-2004, 01:57 PM
Does anyone own one of these babys, they seem really cool, I wanna get one. Does anyone know where I can get one for like 200? Thanks!

taylor492
08-02-2004, 02:00 PM
Theres been too many deaths and near death wrecks on those to ever get me on one.

lord1234
08-02-2004, 02:00 PM
they are illegal in Lowell, MA unless u have a class M motorcycle license...hahaha all the mexicans riding them around(not racist byut 90% of the people riding them were mexican) got owned.

Pballwizz
08-02-2004, 02:06 PM
Theres been too many deaths and near death wrecks on those to ever get me on one.

Yea, that concerned me too, but Im wouldnt be pushing to fast on em, Id probably be going faster on my bike than this thing (casue I just want it to ride to friends house and stuff) and Id get a good helmet for sure.

ß?µ£ §mµ®ƒ
08-02-2004, 02:08 PM
Since when was SMALLER ever BETTER? the larger the package the more power it holds, personally i like harleys and those speedmotos

Snertz
08-02-2004, 02:29 PM
Meh, my cousin has a polini, and that thing is sick. but I do admit that its pretty damn scary when you're doing 50+ on a bike thats only 2 feet tall. In the middle of queens,NY

As for price range, you can get one of the copies for maybe that much, but build quality and overall power are much lower.

t33kyboy
08-02-2004, 02:35 PM
I could understand why a kid would get one, but if your over 16, spend that $300 on driving school and get a real car. People look like clowns when they ride them, its just funny. My friend has one, and its really fast... AND dangerous. I hit 45mph and the bike was falling apart right under me, screws were flying everywhere.

taylor492
08-02-2004, 02:36 PM
Yea, that concerned me too, but Im wouldnt be pushing to fast on em, Id probably be going faster on my bike than this thing (casue I just want it to ride to friends house and stuff) and Id get a good helmet for sure.

Its not the speed im worried about. Is being almost invisible to anything else on the road.

Pballwizz
08-02-2004, 02:44 PM
Yea, my neighborhood isnt crowded at all, I mean, I ahvent heard a car in like Half and Hour.

paintballrulzs
08-02-2004, 02:56 PM
I was considering getting one for college to cruise around town in because my rents wont let me bring my car. I soon thought about the size and how hard it would be to see these on the road so I am slowly debating against one of these and just getting a real bike next summer.

BeaverEater
08-02-2004, 07:41 PM
i would much rather get a real bike instead of one of the pocket rockets or something like that. most the bikes around by me are selling for like 600 and seem like they fit someone who is 5.

pbzmag
08-02-2004, 08:52 PM
It's illegal over here in California to ride them on city streets. Also, I've seen many that has no shocks. Check your state laws about those.

Muzikman
08-02-2004, 08:57 PM
I just want to get one and find a few guys that have them and race them in a parking lot. I would NEVER try to ride one on the street.

cphilip
08-02-2004, 09:08 PM
They are not DOT legal on any street anywhere.... If they are not DOT then no state can make them legal for street riding. And none does. They will clearly state for "offroad use only". And crackdowns are occuring. In most cases parts and support are completely lacking too. Same thing is going on with plastic scooters from Indochina and such. Be carefull and figure only abandoned empty parking lots is all your going to get to use them. They are not and never will be DOT street legal.

mcveighr
08-02-2004, 09:09 PM
Scrrew that get me a Hayabusa.

bofh
08-02-2004, 09:34 PM
I just want to get one and find a few guys that have them and race them in a parking lot. I would NEVER try to ride one on the street.

Muz, stop by one day, I've got this great parking lot nearby...

Actually, I've been toying with the idea of playing with it in the local skate park :)

DiSoRdeR
08-02-2004, 10:29 PM
I wouldnt buy one. Rather have the real thing :headbang: than a 2 foot version of it.

Konigballer
08-02-2004, 10:36 PM
if i was p-diddy rich i'd have a stable of those sweet $2000-$3000 nice italian racing pocketbikes, but not one of those crappy chinese ones with the weed wacker motors. If you were rich it would be funny to see those in your garage parked next to a hummer or something.

p8ntbalr2004
08-02-2004, 10:44 PM
Well maybe I am the only one in this thread who has one, but they are a BLAST! I am not a small guy by any means for one of these either. 6' 210ish and its the most fun I have had in a while. I bought mine when the cheap chineese ones first came out for about $250USD.

IMHO if you have the extra cash laying around, and I believe they are even cheaper now, get one. Also, riding on city streets isnt that much fun, let alone dangerous. You cannot see the cars many times (if one is pulling out of a driveway etc), and they FOR SURE cannot see you.

The most fun out of these is just getting a group of friends together, and going to a local parking lot to ride. We can get 4-5 guys and just go play around, hoping nobody falls, and everybody is happy.

Now for one more bit, some people believe they are not durable... Well, mine has been wrecked numerous times, endo'd, slid, etc and it still runs like a champ. On the other hand, the plastic fairings will take a beating, but who can expect plastic to withstand a crash at close to 30mph. With a little duct-tape, it was back and roaring. And yes, I did say close to 30mph (GPS verifies) at mere inches off the ground.

Off the soapbox for now, and if somebody needs me to toss another $.05 into this discussion just hollar! Ive got some videos if somebody can host them. Not sure on the size, but I can figure it out tomorrow.

Pballwizz
08-03-2004, 01:08 AM
Crap :( So much for getting one, I just wanted it so I could go to friends houses and stuff. O well...

Skoad
08-03-2004, 01:16 AM
As far as I know they are illegal to drive on the streets anywhere.

Also I don't think they are too bad safety wise. If you wear the right protection I would rather wreck one of those going 50mph than most cars. Of course it depends on what you hit :D

Warewolf50
08-03-2004, 02:44 AM
Ha some lil kind in my neighboorhood got one and i tried to ride it, in 6'4 bout 235 It was difficult constantly felt like i was gonna fall. But still fun. It is scary riding something that small at about 35 40.

JIPED
08-03-2004, 12:23 PM
Save your money and buy a used bike. Faster, more safe, and more fun.

cougar20th
08-04-2004, 12:20 PM
in wilmington ma they are considered legal somehow. when i asked the cop at the station about them when i was there for something else(truck got keyed) they said that they fall under the 50cc limit. they are 49cc. he said anything under 50 cc is allowed by town law. i figure sooner or later they will change that. but until then you gotta watch out for small bikes around.

cphilip
08-04-2004, 01:29 PM
in wilmington ma they are considered legal somehow. when i asked the cop at the station about them when i was there for something else(truck got keyed) they said that they fall under the 50cc limit. they are 49cc. he said anything under 50 cc is allowed by town law. i figure sooner or later they will change that. but until then you gotta watch out for small bikes around.

He is wrong...

Under 50cc limit applies to the "Moped" law for not need a license. It does not consider if its DOT legal or not. And these are not. Many Moped class scooters and bikes are. In order to classify for the Moped laws (in most states and such) the Minimum is also that it be DOT approved. And these have not gotten that. It must have turn signals of a certain size and color as well as tail lamp etc of a certain size and color. These bikes, when they do have turn signals, do not fit the size limit. So DOT cannot approve them. So by default they are not legal anywhere in the USA.

States, municipalities may make laws "more" restrictive than Federal Laws but not "Less" restrictive. So by default if they are not DOT legal then CANNOT be legal in any city or state. That would be "less" restrictive. So even if they pass a law or misinterpret (as in your case) a law to result in less restrictive.... it would be in error and in violation of Federal law and therefor illegal anyway. And you as the operator are the person responsible for complying. That Cop will not be there to defend you in court. He will say you are mistaken or did not ask the quesiton specific enough. It must be DOT legal to be legal. Period.

They are not Street legal anywhere. Will never be I suspect. The manufacturers will not devise proper gear and submit them for certification. It would look odd and cost money. So they simply sell them with a disclaimer. "For Off Road Use Only"...

cphilip
08-04-2004, 01:34 PM
And according to your Mass. state law even... copied and pasted from the MA Regulation (note the bold section that is the catch all here) .....

Moped Definition and Requirements

According to Massachusetts law, a moped is a "motorized bicycle." In order to be classified as a moped, the vehicle must:

Have a cylinder capacity of no more than 50 cubic centimeters.

Have an automatic transmission.

Be capable of a maximum speed of no more than 30 miles per hour.

Comply with all applicable federal motor vehicle safety standards.

A moped sticker, issued by the RMV, must be affixed to the moped. This sticker will not be issued unless the vehicle meets the above requirements.

Operating Requirements

Moped operators are subject to the traffic laws, rules and regulations of the Commonwealth.

Mopeds will have the right to use all public ways in the Commonwealth, except limited access or express state highways where signs prohibiting bicycles have been posted.

Mopeds may use bicycle lanes next to various ways but are excluded from off street recreational paths.

Moped operators must signal their intention to stop or turn by using either hand.

Mopeds may keep right when passing a motor vehicle which is in the travel lane of a way.

Restrictions When Operating a Moped

Mopeds will not be operated:

By any person under 16 years of age.

By any person who does not have a valid license or permit.

At a speed greater than 25 miles per hour.

Without the operator and any passenger wearing a DOT standard helmet.

cougar20th
08-04-2004, 02:01 PM
well they dont have stickers, helmits or even the right age. the police here dont bother them. but that is probably the law he was refering to when he told me. i guess they just dont care about them. the police here have been known to look the other way unless your causeing a problem.

your correct they dont belong on the road.

thanks for clearing that up with correct info.

cphilip
08-04-2004, 02:08 PM
well they dont have stickers, helmits or even the right age. the police here dont bother them. but that is probably the law he was refering to when he told me. i guess they just dont care about them. the police here have been known to look the other way unless your causeing a problem.

your correct they dont belong on the road.

thanks for clearing that up with correct info.

yea the issue is enforcement. They apparently are not but should be. But some day when a kid gets hurt they will be forced to. In the mean time.... Buyer beware!

bofh
08-04-2004, 02:35 PM
Comply with all applicable federal motor vehicle safety standards.

I hate to be picky, but what standards that apply to Motorized bicycles do these pocket bikes not comply with?

The key word here is "Applicable"

It's entirely possible that these things could be legal on the road. I only see lights and brakes on the FMVSS list for motorcycles.

cphilip
08-04-2004, 03:30 PM
DOT compliant lighting... predominantly...... But there are a few other structural things that vary from one to another. Braking and such. But mainly its lighting and placement and size of lighting that they just cannot physicaly accomadate. For instance a turn indicator must be like four or five square inches and seen at a certain distance and be like a foot apart and 2 feet off the ground..... Going from memory there so don't hold me to it.... but its something like that.

The DOT standard is not met. Including the submission for certification. In essence the Lamps are too small or impoperly placed... if they exist at all. And if they do exist and do meet it then they have to submit them for certification. And they chose not too. But most of them do not meet it. If they could they still probably would not. Too much expense! And if a vehicle does not meet it in the year of manufacture and never was certified it is difficult to get it certified. Unless its an Antique. There is a proceedure and some allowances for those. Subsequent ones can be certified if they wish to try.

Don't confuse the Bicycle part. They intend and apply it to any design with a 50cc or smaller motor. Scooter, Motorcyclem Minibike, Pocket bike..... etc meets thier definition of Motorized Bike. And call em all a Moped no mater what they look like. Some states do a better job of describing than others. But they always do the normal catch all phrase. "Must meet Federal... etc etc..." Keeps em from researching all them and perhaps forgetting one. And keeps thier law current in case of changes in Federal standards.

If you look carefully at all of them you will probably find a sticker that says "For offroad use only". This is intended to decrease thier liability and allow them to sell them. However DOT is finding some without it. And outlawing those from even importing.

They are best kept to the parking lots.