PDA

View Full Version : I'm Computer idiot.....HELP!

Twon
08-03-2004, 06:33 AM
Not really messed up but...

I have WINDOWS2000. I changed the name of my computer in my COMPUTER, PROPERTIES, NETWORK IDENTIFICATION. Then, it asked me to reboot and then, it's like I got a brand new computer. Every folders I made in my desktop are all gone, wallpaper is gone, bookmarks are gone and all my settings are gone. URGH, HELP! I need those files! Can anyone knows how to come back to the previous setting?

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Twon

fire1811
08-03-2004, 07:16 AM
are you logged in as a different user?

try logging in as administrator.

Twon
08-03-2004, 07:20 AM
Yes, That's what I did, but still...same pattern. I remember that before I messed it up, I didn't have a prompt screen before entering windows. Can anyone help me by either guide me or checking by yourself with netmeeting?

snif snif

Twon

fire1811
08-03-2004, 07:21 AM
try switching you network id back to what it was

i would think you already tried this though?

Dryden
08-03-2004, 09:06 AM
You need to change the nework ID back to what it was. I'm drawing a blank whether Windows 2000's folder tree more closely resembles NT or XP, but in any event, you should have either a C:\Documents and Settings folder or a C:\WINNT\Profiles folder. Which one depends on the Windows 2000 config and whether or not it was an upgrade from a prior OS installation.

Everytime you log in, your personal settings are stored in your user/profile directory. When you log in as a different user, you get a different profile. The same user on different networks is identified as two totally separate users, which is what you're experiencing now. Browse the Profiles or Documents and Settings folders and you should see this with names like USERNAME, USERNAME.OLDNETWORK, and USERNAME.NEWNETWORK.

You can do a couple of things for this. You could log in as Administrator and copy the contents of one profile folder into the other, then right click and begin adjusting permissions. You could just change the network name back to what it was, provided it was a workgroup and not a domain (if you take a computer out of a domain, you can't rejoin it unless you actually have a domain controller on the network - this effects commuters with laptops A LOT). Another option would be to find a profile migration utility. I use the ForensiT User Profile Wizard (http://www.forensit.com/), but I don't know that this works without a domain.

Twon
08-03-2004, 04:38 PM
Thanks for all your help but it's not working. I don't remember my previous name so that's why I'm stuck. Can anyone who knows how to fix it have netmeeting so he could try to fix it for me? Sorry, I suck at computer and I need my stuff.

Thanks

Twon

Twon
08-04-2004, 07:21 AM
anyone?

Fanatic
08-06-2004, 02:55 AM
C:\Documents and Settings

there should be folders of different users
click on the user file..
you should then be opened up to folders containing what each users use
then click on desktop
desktop should have programs
my documents folder should contain files for that user

Twon
08-06-2004, 06:52 AM
Thanks, but I already checked that. None of the folders contain what there used to have my stuff at the very begining.

Anything else?

Twon