PDA

View Full Version : New Tarantino film w/ Jet Li trailer: Hero

Skoad
08-03-2004, 07:46 PM
http://movies.yahoo.com/movies/feature/heroqt1.html

Looks pretty good, it'll be a hit for sure.

BobTheCow
08-03-2004, 08:05 PM
Tarantino, w00t!! :dance:

ß?µ£ §mµ®ƒ
08-03-2004, 08:16 PM
Heres a nice site http://www.apple.com/trailers/miramax/hero/

This looks SOOO much better than crouching tiger hidden dragon

LeatherPants
08-03-2004, 08:29 PM
FYI this movie is old. I've had it on DVD for over a year.

It was released awhile ago in China. What happend was it was buried so it wouldn't compete with Crouching Tiger.

If you look on EBay you can find the DVD. These are not those bootleg ones but the actual Chinese released DVD w/ special features etc.

Problem is if you don't know Chinese then you're screwed. As long as you have a subtitle button on your DVD play it is the exact same as it will be in the theaters.

Chojin Man
08-03-2004, 11:56 PM
What leather pants said is true. It's just like when he released Iron Monkey here.

Warewolf50
08-04-2004, 12:14 AM
Awesome, hmm ill be sure to see it weatehr i buy a bootleg dvd or see it in the theaters.

Ironmag
08-04-2004, 02:52 AM
Tarantino didn't make this movie, he's just forking over the money to bring it to the masses in the US. Nonetheless, I will be seeing this movie when it comes here, saw a preview for it over a year ago and have been waiting since.

LeatherPants
08-04-2004, 03:58 AM
Awesome, hmm ill be sure to see it weatehr i buy a bootleg dvd or see it in the theaters.

It's not a bootleg DVD. It's the official DVD that was released in China.

Fanatic
08-04-2004, 05:24 AM
so if its the official DVD for china
wouldnt DVD players for the US homes need the code to play it
code meaning that each DVD's sold has its own domestic codes that the player finds to play the data back
same with video games...err....at least i read it somewhere

gibby
08-04-2004, 10:49 AM
Yeah, I actually have a copy myself(not bootleg that is). It's a pretty good movie. I liked the visuals a lot and the story had its own twist...or shall I say...twists. In any case, I wonder if the theatrical release will have added scenes? I can vaguely remember seeing the preview and saw a few scenes I didn't recognize. But then again, it could just be my mind going out on me. :tard:

LeatherPants
08-04-2004, 11:06 AM
Nope it works in my DVD player and all of my friend's DVD players.

Hexis
08-04-2004, 02:36 PM
If the DVD is region free, it's not an official release.

All DVD players support subtitleing, it's part of the DVD spec.

As much as I love QT, he has nothing to do with the production of this film, he's just working on bringing it over.

From what I have read, Mirimax has cut scenes, not added anything. It will be a confusing movie for american audiences. Many folks who have seen it have complained about the color use and narritves. If you have seen it you may understand this. I don't want to give away anything.

I was lucky enough to have a friend from China explain the background and some of the movie, it was quite helpful.

It's a great movie.

LeatherPants
08-04-2004, 03:22 PM
Well not sure if it is region free but my DVD player plays all the Chinese movies that my friend likes to watch. Some of those are very strange.

LeatherPants
08-04-2004, 03:24 PM
Here's an example of the one I bought

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=617&item=6313500456&rd=1

It's a DVD-9?

Hexis
08-04-2004, 03:28 PM
I should revise my statement, I suspect that if it's playable in a non modded region 1 player (US region) that it's not official. All of the official versions I have found online are region 6 (China). It could be normal, but I suspect Mirimax has the right to distribute it in Region 1. The theatricial release will not make nearly as much as the DVD release here.

Not that it matters, it's a great movie in any form. I can't wait to see it on the big screen.

LeatherPants
08-04-2004, 03:41 PM
I've watched that movie countless times and I'm with you. I HAVE to see it on the big screen. It's all around a great movie. Story, cinematography, action.....what more do you want.

I hope they don't butcher the US version. The chinese version w/ subtitles is such a great story. The US previes seem very misleading.

Hexis
08-04-2004, 03:45 PM
I have heard Miramax called MiraAXE in a few places. I really hope they don't cut it too much. I'll prob buy a few of those Hero DVDs off Ebay to make sure I have the original. There is even a Director's cut on there, 118min.

LeatherPants
08-04-2004, 03:58 PM
Yea I just saw the Director's cut also. I'm thinking about it.

That's the thing editing can make or break a movie.

Jonneh
08-04-2004, 04:55 PM
I have this on some wierd chinese bootleg DVD, but the subtitles don't work properly so I havn't a clue what is going on. Despite this, it's still a beautiful movie, with some very nice action. Some of the CG is a little over the top, but a bit of suspension of disbelief is required anyhow.

Hexis
08-04-2004, 04:59 PM
The action makes more sense in context. The normal colored scenes where Nameless (Jet Li) is talking to the Emperor is the actual timeline. The rest is the different versions of the back stories. Each one is different, but that's how they develop the plot.