PDA

View Full Version : Dog help needed

lord1234
08-04-2004, 08:17 AM
Ok,
so my boss is giving me his dog. Its a 5 year old dog. I haven't ever owned a dog before so I would like to know what I should look forward to in terms of money spent. Also, he currently feeds him "Old Roy" which he buys at Walmart...it doesn't seem like one of the PREMIUM brands of dog food. Should I spend the money to get premuum brands or just keep going with the cheaper stuff?

Any other advice would be good.

As per the poll...i look forward to seeing lots of no's:) Just so you know, I love dogs and have wanted one my entire life....so its more a poll for me to see what people think of ME. I KNOW that i would be a good dog owner.
--Lord1234

http://www.flagpull.com/free/HPIM0100.JPG

ShooterJM
08-04-2004, 09:01 AM
Quick rule of thumb. If you can buy the dog food at a supermarket, it's not good for the dog.

desslock
08-04-2004, 09:08 AM
dont feed him table scraps, no matter how much he begs. NEVER NEVER give the dog chocolate, very bad for doggies! Just walk him or if you have a fenced in back yard let em run dogs need exercise as they get older more activity will help out with hip problems. Make sure he has all vacanation(sp) shots. Ask your boss for any past vet papers when was the last time the dog went to the vet, when its time to go to the vet again try and take him back to the same vet, the dog will probally remember the surrondings and feel more comfortable. Having a dog is like having a hairy kid that cant speak. medical bills, food, toys. Keep this in mind you will have to spend some cash for your new friend.

Crighton
08-04-2004, 09:08 AM
Quick rule of thumb. If you can buy the dog food at a supermarket, it's not good for the dog.

Yeah if your going to feed the dog "filler" food, you should suppliment it with something actually healthy. I usually feed my dog a combination of "filler" and a mix of vegies and beef, or rice and beef. Costs more but you can totally see the difference in his coat and energy/attention levels.

Some of the premium dog foods have a tendancy to be really rough on different dogs digestive tracks. When you switch keep an eye on the pooch for a while. You may have to try 2-3 brands before you find one it can handle.

lord1234
08-04-2004, 09:13 AM
The brands i keep hearing are

Iams
Eukanuba(i think thats how u spell it)

any others I should look into? also crighton...when you say keeping an eye on the dog...how should i monitor him? Watch how much he is going during a week long period? then try another food to see if it changes?

JM: How do you feed him the veggies and meat, just some raw steak or do u grill it up? and veggies? raw/boiled/ what?

Crighton
08-04-2004, 09:21 AM
The brands i keep hearing are

Iams
Eukanuba(i think thats how u spell it)

any others I should look into? also crighton...when you say keeping an eye on the dog...how should i monitor him? Watch how much he is going during a week long period? then try another food to see if it changes?

JM: How do you feed him the veggies and meat, just some raw steak or do u grill it up? and veggies? raw/boiled/ what?

If it's not settling right the dogs either going to be barfing all over your house or having the hershey squirts something terrible. Trust me you'll know.

Veggies are usually boiled with a couple beef bullion cubes, Beef is either boiled or browned. Usually make a couple pounds at a time and freeze part of it. Only raw beef I give my dogs is in the form of cow leg bones w marrow. Purchased from a reputable local butcher I know.

lord1234
08-04-2004, 09:29 AM
regarding beef: just buy the cheap stuff at a good supermarket? i figure the dog doesn't need filet mignon(maybe as a rare treat though i doubt it.

Crighton
08-04-2004, 09:36 AM
regarding beef: just buy the cheap stuff at a good supermarket? i figure the dog doesn't need filet mignon(maybe as a rare treat though i doubt it.

Yeah, you can just buy the "jumbo family packs" or I'll buy a side of beef. Keep the good cuts for myself, Feed the dog all the ground beef/crap cuts.

Though any of the premium brands would be fine as well. I feed my dogs like this because I require the coats to be in excellent shape and I need that extra edge in attention and energy for the training and competions I do.

Though if the dogs going from Filler to this he'll probably think you're a god.

ShooterJM
08-04-2004, 09:39 AM
Personally I'd go with like a Science Diet type of brand and then add in some veggies and meat like was mentioned. Even a little alge supplement is good too. It'll cost more, but you don't have to give nearly as much to the dog. Cuts down on the amount of crap you have to clean in the yard too.

lord1234
ok. I am thinking grab a couple of pounds of the filler stuff and slowly mix the good stuff in that way his system has a chance to adjust...do you agree that that is the best solution? Also, how much do you feed a dog? Just fill the bowl to the brim every meal or what?

LittlePaintballBoy
Though if the dogs going from Filler to this he'll probably think you're a god.

LMAO.

ShooterJM
08-04-2004, 09:41 AM
What kind of dog is it?

SlipknotX556
08-04-2004, 09:44 AM
First rule, is never feed the dog anything from the table, if you do that, he will learn, its ok to take food from the table, take my beagle as an example. I used to throw her Wendy's french fries, whenever I got Wendys, now whenever I do bring home Wendys, she actually jumps on top of the table and eats all my fries, only the fries though, never the sandwhich or the chicken nuggets.

lord1234
08-04-2004, 09:46 AM
First rule, is never feed the dog anything from the table, if you do that, he will learn, its ok to take food from the table, take my beagle as an example. I used to throw her Wendy's french fries, whenever I got Wendys, now whenever I do bring home Wendys, she actually jumps on top of the table and eats all my fries, only the fries though, never the sandwhich or the chicken nuggets.

thats hilarious

yeah i know never to feed from the table, and don't plan to...

Also, has anyone bought dog food from any online places like www.petfooddirect.com or any such places? Are they worth it or does it kill you on shipping?
Also if anyone could list a list of supplies that i will need for my first dog(dog is 5 years old so no puppy stuff), taht would be appreciated. Also what can I use to quickly acclimate the dog to a new environment, and new owners?

The dog is a Spring Spaniel/Border Collie + something unknown:0

lord1234
08-04-2004, 09:48 AM
also...i know that I am asking a lot of questions..but i wanna be a good pet owner and keep this dog happy.

Crighton
08-04-2004, 09:56 AM
thats hilarious
Also if anyone could list a list of supplies that i will need for my first dog(dog is 5 years old so no puppy stuff), taht would be appreciated. Also what can I use to quickly acclimate the dog to a new environment, and new owners?

The dog is a Spring Spaniel/Border Collie + something unknown:0

Leash, Dog food/water dish, collar, Long line 25ft-30ft, Nail clippers (buy expensive here), Brush, Green clean machine (you may go WTF do I need that for, trust me it will be your best friend some day), Dog gate for doors/halls, pooper scooper, supply of dog do bags for walks(bread bags work), garbage can for dog crap outside. 6month supply of heartguard.

Was the dog kennel trained ? if so a kennel.

lord1234
08-04-2004, 10:03 AM
Leash, Dog food/water dish, collar, Long line 25ft-30ft, Nail clippers (buy expensive here), Brush, Green clean machine (you may go WTF do I need that for, trust me it will be your best friend some day), Dog gate for doors/halls, pooper scooper, supply of dog do bags for walks(bread bags work), garbage can for dog crap outside. 6month supply of heartguard.

Was the dog kennel trained ? if so a kennel.

the dog is not kennel trained.

i don't plan on lettin the dog out when I am not home because the landlord asked us not to. What about just plastic shopping bags for dog doo? Heartguard = ??? got a name brand? or is it just WormX?
btw, pic added at top

Marchborne
08-04-2004, 10:10 AM
Let's put it this way: if you are asking all of these questions, odds are you will be a good dog owner.

My advice is definitely start by mixing the good food with the filler to start. Gradually increase the ratio of good stuff, and the pooch will have an easier time adjusting. One sure way to upset his stomach is to radically change his diet overnight (especially since he may have "issues" adjusting to a new home anyway).

If he does have stomach problems, I've found that ground beef (well-drained) and rice make a good doggy "comfort food" (much more rice than beef). Charcoal biscuits are also good for easing digestion problems.

Just to add toys and treats to the list:
- kong toys (rubber chew toys-- indestructible);
- soft toys like stuffed animals (although get tough ones);
- rawhide style chew treats (edible) (rawhide strips are good, "bully sticks" are good (you don't want to know what those are made of);

and, if you really want to make the pup happy, get Greenies. They're a kind of chewy treat with chlorophyll in 'em (therefore, "greenies") and the things are like doggy crack.

Good luck. The comment about "hairy kids" is dead on. They're frustrating and fun.

Crighton
08-04-2004, 10:13 AM
the dog is not kennel trained.

i don't plan on lettin the dog out when I am not home because the landlord asked us not to. What about just plastic shopping bags for dog doo? Heartguard = ??? got a name brand? or is it just WormX?
btw, pic added at top

If the dogs 5 years old, and not used to a kennel your going to have some fun re training it. Just stuffing it in there for 8+ hours will likely drive it up the wall. Mine stay in the basement laundry room on a futon matress while I'm at work, though they were kennel trained initially.

Heartguard's a heart worm medication. Keeps the heart worms away. You can buy it over the counter at alot of places, online as well.

Any kind of bag thats big enough and keeps your hands clean. I own german Shepherds so I need a large bag :)

Kongs are good toys but not indestructable. My dogs go through one about every 6 months.

ShooterJM
08-04-2004, 10:20 AM
Also, how much do you feed a dog? Just fill the bowl to the brim every meal or what?

Sounds like a medium sized dog. There should be a chart on the dog food you buy to give you an idea. Morning and night feedings are good. A total of 10-16 oz of good food should do it, but check the individual listings.

lord1234
08-04-2004, 10:31 AM
i know what rawhide is made from:) eeeewww

also: the current owner says the dog has no problems being alone for a few hours..but i figure we will take him home on a friday..so that i have all weekend to spend inside the house with him taking him for walks at a certain time of the day(time i get home from work/wake up time etc)

lord1234
08-04-2004, 10:34 AM
btw crighton: green clean machine = for poo stains? i dont have any carpetting(thank god) so its all hardwood...

lord1234
08-04-2004, 10:42 AM
heartguard requires a perscription(at least nationalpetpharmacy.com wants one) so jsut go to the vet and get one?

lord1234
08-04-2004, 10:43 AM
also, Marchborne your in the "commonwealth" that means Mass to me...where in MA are you?

edit: 4 posts in a row by me and no replies...i am a loser:)

Marchborne
08-04-2004, 10:44 AM
Kongs are good toys but not indestructable. My dogs go through one about every 6 months.

True enough. Our Dobie and Rottie-lab mix go through them at about that rate as well, but kongs are as good as it gets. Everything else lasts hours, maybe days. :tard:

lord: if you have hardwoods, definitely get some of the enzyme cleaners that help take away the scent of urine (dogs tend to pee/poo in the same place, if the scent stays).

Also: "bully" sticks aren't rawhide, they're worse: the tendons from the insdie of a bull's groin. :eek:

8T88
08-04-2004, 11:18 AM
heartguard requires a perscription(at least nationalpetpharmacy.com wants one) so jsut go to the vet and get one?

If the dog's 5 years old chances are he's probaly on some kind of heart worm medication. Just head down to his old vet, and he'll be able to give you a prescription if your dog doesn't have one already. Also be sure to ask him about any other conditions or illness your doggie has had over his year and what to watch for.

When I was house breaking my pup, he couldn't handel beeing locked in a kennel, so we just put up gates in the (hardwood :tard: ) spare room. The funny think is when ever he had to go, he went in his kennel so it was easy to clean up. Now he just hangs around the house where ever he wants, worked out great :)

any ways good luck man! :cheers:

Crighton
08-04-2004, 11:28 AM
btw crighton: green clean machine = for poo stains? i dont have any carpetting(thank god) so its all hardwood...

Use mine mostly for barf, chunks and all right into the machine. Run a gallon of clean water through it to clean it out. You might not need it if you have 100% hardwood floors. Though it's certainly easier to clean the dogs bedding when he barfs on it with the small machine VS taking it and putting it in the washing machine.

Vet should be able to write you out a prescription easily enough. I believe they need one at some places due to allergic reactions killing dogs.

lord1234
08-04-2004, 11:51 AM
thoughts on allowing the dog to sleep on the bed? or better to let it sleep on the floor near the bed?

InexactMelissa
08-04-2004, 12:37 PM
A bit of border collie in him, huh. Please make sure that you give him plenty of stuff to do - lots of toys, pig's ears, balls, etc. and lots of chances to run. While happy border collies are the best, bored border collies are the worst...they're smart enough to do exactly what is going to tick you off the most.

Congrats and good luck!

Crighton
08-04-2004, 12:47 PM
thoughts on allowing the dog to sleep on the bed? or better to let it sleep on the floor near the bed?

Wouldn't suggest letting the dog on the bed. Can be a little annoying when you're wanting to put the moves on the lady and old Fluffy comes bounding up on the bed.

fire1811
08-04-2004, 12:53 PM
thats why you get a small dog or a high bed :D

most things have been brought up.

honestly bro i think if you had the time to make this thread up with question and concerns about being a good dog owner you will be more then fine

frontrunner
08-04-2004, 12:55 PM
1st read the begs cheap dog food often calls to feed more because its more filler and less good stuff so go with a good dog food also becauseful when switching foods it best to mix half in half for a meal or to then to switch right over(that can be messy).

2nd watch his weight you don't want to see ribs but you don't want to see rolls with your dog/bredd should be a slimer high energy dog but its still something to watch

3rd realise that although this may be an older dog seem pretty melow, its still on the high engery side just because of the breeding you have a dog that was bread to work in the field and be high energy so try to throw a ball or something with it for a bit each walk are great and so is a nice run but you will find the 15-20 minutes with a tenis bal in the yard will do more the a mile at what ever pace you can run

4th the beds it up to you, my dog is allowed in my once in a while and won't jump up on his own

last vist a local vet its a good idea to get a cheek up. this will do a few things make suer hte dog is healthy and get you on file there in case you ever need a emergancy vist. also talk to your vet about your dog things to watch for each breed has their own proplem i'm a lab mad so i can't tell you much about your border c. also curtin house hold things are harmful to dogs :
raw patatos, grapes, onions, some plantes and flowers, chocolate and more
your vet can give you a bigger list
best of luck to you

lord1234
08-04-2004, 01:01 PM
rofl...yeah...my girl was like "ummm no"?
hahah

thoughts about training the dog to the new house and our house rules....whats the easiest way to make sure he doesnt go in the house? I would prefer not coming home and having to clean up a mess.

--Lord

Crighton
08-04-2004, 01:04 PM
rofl...yeah...my girl was like "ummm no"?
hahah

thoughts about training the dog to the new house and our house rules....whats the easiest way to make sure he doesnt go in the house? I would prefer not coming home and having to clean up a mess.

--Lord

If the dogs house trained already it's more a matter of training yourself to notice the dogs keys when it wants to be let out. So play it on the safe side and let the dog out very often the first few weeks.

fire1811
08-04-2004, 01:04 PM
imo the less you take a dog out the better.(for crapping) that way its not used to going out as much

frontrunner
08-04-2004, 01:18 PM
forgot to mention dogs are not machines just because they know a comand doesn'tr mean they will do it. its all about power not sure how many poeple live with you but that dog is gonna find his place he will do this by testing you with the simple stuff (sit,stay,down) if you don't back up your comands you will lose. to give you a beter idea ther are 4 of us and the dog in my house to the dog he is #3 beause one roomate gets walked on and he lets it happen. just because your dog is trained doesn't mean it will fallow comands of everyone in your hosehold this is impoetant because no matter how well the dog is traind and no matter what you do if he thinks he is above your girl she gotta change that and its easyier to do with a dog thats just setling in just a few comandes now and then and you will have no problem. don't take this the wrong way when i say don't back down i mean make the dog do it do repeate the comand without a "no" in between, also praise praise praise most dogs love to work and make you happy when he/she does something write let him know

Crighton
08-04-2004, 01:22 PM
...snip

If you've trained with hand signals do not repeat the verbal command ever. Simply repeat the hand signal if the dog doesnt listen the first time. You should eventually be able to give all commands in a non verbal format and have them followed.

And yes the dogs propper place is at the bottom of the social ladder. Most of them how ever seek to be #1 or at least #2.

lord1234
08-04-2004, 01:29 PM
yeah he is a verbal dog....

the dog is going to be #3. Me, my girl, then the dog...

i will have to train my girl to be less timid...but heck i trained her to be my girl...sorta like a dog

(god i hope she doesnt see that...it was just a joke hunny).

--Lord1234

SlipknotX556
08-04-2004, 01:33 PM
Dont let your dog on your bed, unless you dont mind it. I made the mistake of letting my full grown Siberian Husky jump on my bed, now I cant sleep in my bed, shes always laying on it, she wont get off, unless a treat is involved.

Crighton
08-04-2004, 01:37 PM
yeah he is a verbal dog....

the dog is going to be #3. Me, my girl, then the dog...

i will have to train my girl to be less timid...but heck i trained her to be my girl...sorta like a dog

(god i hope she doesnt see that...it was just a joke hunny).

--Lord1234

Do not anger the womenz for they are fierce and control the world supply of boobies.

InexactMelissa
08-04-2004, 01:50 PM
If you've trained with hand signals do not repeat the verbal command ever. Simply repeat the hand signal if the dog doesnt listen the first time. You should eventually be able to give all commands in a non verbal format and have them followed.

And yes the dogs propper place is at the bottom of the social ladder. Most of them how ever seek to be #1 or at least #2.

I disagree. I can give my dog hand signals or verbal commands (whichever is more appropriate). For example, if I'm in the middle of a conversation and I need her to lay down, I'll give her a hand signal. If we're running around outside and she's not facing me, I can give her a verbal command. She learned to master a command with both verbal and hand signals at the same time, then we worked on just one or just the other.

cphilip
08-04-2004, 01:54 PM
I gotta couple of concerns here.....

Why is he getting rid of the Dog?

People let older dogs go for some reason that may make YOU not want the Dog. A five year old dog is set in its ways and its window of opportunity to train or retrain is pretty much gone. Your stuck with any bad habits it has. And that is a high strung breed of Dog. Needed very much attention and disipline early on. If it did not get it then you don't want it. Take the dog with a trial basis in mind. Seriously. You may be getting into something you cannot handle.

Heartguard is brand name of a preventative for Heart Worms. Difilaria Immitus, a parasite spread by Mosquito's. You must find out if the Dog has been tested Negative and placed on preventative first before you start using it. If he has not then he must be tested. And if he is positive then he must be treated first and then a preventative can be applied. The worms locate in the heart. And if preventaive is given to one with an active infection they can turn loose and cause embolisms and such. The treatment regime kills them in place and then they are slowly absorbed by the body enzimes. Thats the secret. So do not just go and buy it. Get a history of him and if need be have him tested first.

Puriana and most major brands are fine for an older Dog with no troubles.

Crighton
08-04-2004, 02:00 PM
I disagree. I can give my dog hand signals or verbal commands (whichever is more appropriate). For example, if I'm in the middle of a conversation and I need her to lay down, I'll give her a hand signal. If we're running around outside and she's not facing me, I can give her a verbal command. She learned to master a command with both verbal and hand signals at the same time, then we worked on just one or just the other.

Isn't that basically what I said?

lord1234
08-04-2004, 02:09 PM
I gotta couple of concerns here.....

Why is he getting rid of the Dog?

People let older dogs go for some reason that may make YOU not want the Dog. A five year old dog is set in its ways and its window of opportunity to train or retrain is pretty much gone. Your stuck with any bad habits it has. And that is a high strung breed of Dog. Needed very much attention and disipline early on. If it did not get it then you don't want it. Take the dog with a trial basis in mind. Seriously. You may be getting into something you cannot handle.

Heartguard is brand name of a preventative for Heart Worms. Difilaria Immitus, a parasite spread by Mosquito's. You must find out if the Dog has been tested Negative and placed on preventative first before you start using it. If he has not then he must be tested. And if he is positive then he must be treated first and then a preventative can be applied. The worms locate in the heart. And if preventaive is given to one with an active infection they can turn loose and cause embolisms and such. The treatment regime kills them in place and then they are slowly absorbed by the body enzimes. Thats the secret. So do not just go and buy it. Get a history of him and if need be have him tested first.

Puriana and most major brands are fine for an older Dog with no troubles.

thanks phil!

What other questions should i ask my boss before I take the dog? The reason he is being given away is he isn't a big fan of younger children and has a small "nipping" problem...and I am taking him becuase its either...i take him or he goes to the SPCA.

cphilip
08-04-2004, 02:18 PM
Tell him to give you the shot records and Veterniary records. See if these things have been done within the last year. Then call the Veterinarian and ask him what the demenor of the Dog is when he sees him.

Yea this kind of Dog can be fractious. So I would ask him to allow you to do a two week trial period before you end up with the Dog. Then if it has to go to SPCA your not the bad guy that does it. Bad thing is its your Boss.... Make it clear you have reservations about that. So there is no hard feelings if you cannot live with the Dogs habits.

InexactMelissa
08-04-2004, 02:22 PM
Crighton: Sorry, I guess I may have misunderstood what you wrote. I took it to mean that you should only train the dog for either hand or verbal commands, not both.

Crighton
08-04-2004, 02:25 PM
Crighton: Sorry, I guess I may have misunderstood what you wrote. I took it to mean that you should only train the dog for either hand or verbal commands, not both.

Nah, start with both, work to be able to only use one or the other as the situation calls for. I've always found that when working with both. Don't repeat the verbal command, just the hand signal.

Chris42050
08-04-2004, 05:41 PM
I think unka phil has some good advice. Take the dog for a couple of weeks before you decide to keep it. Make sure you don't give it chocolate (as said before), and make sure you never let it go near coolant for cars. Clean up any spills you see. Dogs love the smell and taste of coolant and it is like poisen to them.

8T88
08-04-2004, 07:25 PM
and make sure you never let it go near coolant for cars. Clean up any spills you see. Dogs love the smell and taste of coolant and it is like poisen to them.

good point Chris42050, you have to be a little bit careful of what cleaning products you use on surfaces your dog might lick, some can be harmful
ie: swiffer wet jet

InexactMelissa
08-04-2004, 07:47 PM
Phil has some very good points. But in the event you do end up keeping the dog, here's a tip to help establish the pecking order in your household....do it with caution, especially since the dog already has a 'nipping problem', and I'm not sure how well it will work with an older dog as I've only done it with puppies.

The basic idea is that in the dog world, the guy who controls the food is in charge. Since you are the poor shmoe lugging the 50 lb bag home from Petsmart, it's your food...he gets it at your whim. Of course, food is a basic human (or canine) right, but dogs don't know that. So what you do is put the dish down for the dog to eat, then once he has eaten a bit, *carefully* take it away, and give it back later. Have all the members of your household do this. It will establish the fact that you and the other humans are in charge. But again, be especially careful about doing this with an older dog who may not know that the people are the masters and may try to bite.