PDA

View Full Version : Preventing rust.

Igotu
08-04-2004, 08:39 PM
I just got my first car and i want to preserve it as long as I can theres a few rust dots you cant really notice, I was told just to paint over that. Im just wondering if theres anything better I can do and if theres other precautions I can take to prevent more.

insanity415
08-04-2004, 08:54 PM
dont just paint over it. get a drill or dremel and a carbon steel brush and get the rust off then put a few coats of primer down, then paint over it.. if you dont get rid of the rust first then it will just come back, and get a primer that is also prevents rust. ive had to paint the bumper on my jeep a few times because i didn't get rid of all of the rust.

Igotu
08-04-2004, 09:06 PM
Thanks man

1stdeadeye
08-05-2004, 06:14 AM
Pep boys sells a rust stick. You put it on the rust spots and it turns the rust to a black primer.

Good luck!

ZAust
08-05-2004, 10:48 AM
slap some naval jelly on there. kills the rust AND provides a protective barrier so it doesnt come back. you can get it at a hardware store.

PyRo
08-05-2004, 04:14 PM
The right thing to do is to grind it all off then paint the entire car :)
But your not going to do that, so just grind it off, be sure to get all of it and either have a shop spray the panel (which your not going to do). Or use a spray can and paint the area like he said.