PDA

View Full Version : how to sight a pellet gun

Machina123
08-04-2004, 09:27 PM
ok so i bought a beeman or bearman idk some kinda pellet gun. i believe its a 600 fps gun and it came with a sight. now ive gone through like 300 pellets trying to sight it properly. it seems like every time i get it sighted at a certain range as soon as i go back some feet (like 10-15 feet) its no longer on target like it was before. its very very fustrating at this point. i realize that pellets do drop but not that quik. if anybody has some pointers i be much obliged.

xmetal2001
08-04-2004, 09:41 PM
Well when you sight in, its only gonna be for that distance...so I guess just pick whatever distance is close to what your normally going to be shooting at, and learn to compensate.

And a pellet is gonna drop as fast as any other projectile(Gravity doesn't care how fast its going)

Sparq
08-04-2004, 09:55 PM
Is it a spring piston gun? If so - make sure you hold it the same way every time...a somewhat loose grip is generally perferred. Also, don't rest the fore end or barrel on a rigid surface when you're firing - rest it on your hand or a pillow or sandbag or something. Anything that interferes with the normal vibration of the spring can change the point of impact.

I have tried it with my own IZH-61, and it does seem to be true.

What xmetal said is also true...the pellet should fall on the same horizontal plane at any range, but vertically, it will rise above or below the sighted point as you decrease or increase the range of the shot. Elevated and depressed shots will also have an effect.

Machina123
08-04-2004, 10:25 PM
yes yes i know that is true about the pellets dropping. i was just shocked to see the amount of change just by backing up.

WickeDKlowN
08-04-2004, 10:38 PM
Learn to compensate, or take the scope/sight off and use the ones on the barrel.

acecl22
08-04-2004, 11:30 PM
if your just looking to get the left and right perfectly acurate, then this is what i did... i took a laser pointer, and held it on a spot on the gun that will project exactly the same (horizontally and vertically) as the barrel, then you can just look through the scope and line up the crossair with the lazer dot on your target

Warewolf50
08-05-2004, 12:02 AM
Well when you sight in, its only gonna be for that distance...so I guess just pick whatever distance is close to what your normally going to be shooting at, and learn to compensate.

And a pellet is gonna drop as fast as any other projectile(Gravity doesn't care how fast its going)

listen to him, he is on the Air rifle team that won state for the last 3 years in Ga. He shoots at targets with a bull the size of a pin head from 10 meters away.

xmetal2001
08-05-2004, 02:40 AM
listen to him, he is on the Air rifle team that won state for the last 3 years in Ga. He shoots at targets with a bull the size of a pin head from 10 meters away.

My expertise would probably help more though if we weren't talking about beeman pellet guns :D

magman007
08-05-2004, 11:04 AM
Well, being an owner of a geccado 35 air rifle (break barel 1000fps style baby) il tell you how i sighted my gun in. first off, get a stable shooting platform, like a card table. then mark off exactly where the gun is going to sit. place it in the same place after each time you reload. next, hang a piece of paper. make a red dot some what near the center of it. a big one, about the size of a quarter, so that you can see it clearly. then using the site, try to hit it. if you miss the dot, take a blue marker, and circle the miss, and label it 1, do this smaller, because you dont have to see where you hit the first time 2nd etc, all you have to do, is go back, and compensate with the site, little by little, then just walk it on target. there, your air rifle should be sighted in