PDA

View Full Version : I am in LOVE...again (Tippmann)

LudavicoSoldier
08-05-2004, 11:51 PM
Well, I certainly didnt expect to add to my collection today, but these kind of things happen. I went to pick up a case of El Tigre I found on craigslist.org, and ended up walking out with a complete setup (gun, pack, mask, hopper, tank) for a cool $100. The gun is a Tippy M98 Custom w/Flatline barrel, aftermarket bolt, expansion chamber, bottomline, 20oz co2, and VL200. All in new condition. Z-Leader Mask and APP 2 pod pack to round it out.

After all these years of gun whoring my way up from a Tippmann, I come back again to these guns that just freakin work. And work well, as I am sure many of you know. I never thought I would be so satisfied with a lower end, un-tricked, blowback gun. However, I find this M98 to be one of the most satisfying guns to shot. I dont have to add batteries for a change, adjust or turn on HPA, or turn on the gun! Screw in the unregulated, unadulterated co2 and go! This gun just feels like paintball. Paintball like it was when I started (8-9) years ago. Kinda makes me want to don the cammies again. Is it me, or is it not more satisfying, sometimes, to morph back into a n00b and not be expected to be good just because you have a shiny new gun? Has the sleeper awoken? :ninja:

All you who feel like I do feel free to chime in...

shank the wiggles
08-05-2004, 11:58 PM
I used to have a tippmann for a few months. Then I sold it and bought a mag. You sound like you would go nuts with a cyclone though.

OysterBoy
08-05-2004, 11:59 PM
Was going to make a post on this but you covered it nicely. I may still be a noob, but I miss not knowing about all the politics in paintball. The single greatest moment in my life so far was the first time I played paintball. 12oz tank, Piranha VF BL, vl200 (customed into a vl300 :) ) and a skull full of anxiety. I loved it. Truly loved it. God damn.. I wish I didnt know about anything, I wish I thought WDP was called 'Angel Markers'. Miss the 'speed' of a stock mech piranha (and I really DID think it was fast.). Miss the camo, I miss being in a dugout with shots spraying dirt all over me while I depseratley think of a way out. Miss calling myself out on bounces, only to realize it was just a bounce after... I guess it was just that perfect day and perfect field. Wasaga paintball, summer time (BEAUTIFUL weather), with my best friend who also had a piranha and no experience. Everyone on that field, EVERYONE was in it for the love of the game. i saw more rentals and tippmanns then I did cockers. I saw a Z-Gripped max (fell in love with it, was driving the owner crazy with questions). I miss the comradery between teams. Like doing a crazy rush (even for a vet, while I was a newb) to the main bunker, only to be shot out on my exposed heel (Got applauded for it by the refs, instant call-out on my part).. Jeez.. take me back.. :cry:

Wow I've either had a paintball epiphany or I need sleep.

SpecialBlend2786
08-06-2004, 12:03 AM
I used my classic valved minimag a few months ago, it was fun :)

Every once and awhile its nice to play with a low end gun, or nice to play a completely different style of paintball. For example, i'm in love with stock-class right now :)

shank the wiggles
08-06-2004, 12:06 AM
I used my classic valved minimag a few months ago, it was fun :)

Every once and awhile its nice to play with a low end gun, or nice to play a completely different style of paintball. For example, i'm in love with stock-class right now :)

stock class for the win

68magOwner
08-06-2004, 12:08 AM
i use "low end" markers on such a regular basis (my gun is almost always in transit from a trade, or milling. ano ect) my experience has been that thay have been much more complicated for me than any of my "high end" markers, adjustings regs and all is fine for me, but have you ever tried running a 98 or BE avenger on a LP tank and a halo B? (all i have) bah, even with the co2 and grav feed, the consistency is what gets me, cant put 2 shots in the same place, and playing wiht the people i do, you HAVE to be precise, low end markers cant do taht for me, now, can i do just as well with one? by all means, but it does force you to take taht extra step to get teh wider angle that you wouldnt normally have to, or play closer because the shot groupings are so bad due to consistency, meh, guess it makes me a better player when its all said and done though

LudavicoSoldier
08-06-2004, 12:23 AM
I guess it really comes down to what you value in a gun. It also comes down to your style of play. What I am saying is that I enjoy feeling like a n00b every now and then, and this gun does that for me. It gives me that feeling that hardly any of my nicer guns can. The feeling that I am out there to have an excellent time, without being lumped into the "experienced" group at the field. The feeling that I am there for fun, and nothing else. Sure its fun to be the cool kid with all the new toys, but it really gets stale for me. Its like in my race to attain better stuff, new playing styles, etc., I lost what I truely loved about paintball: playing rec, without a care in the world. :headbang:

shank the wiggles
08-06-2004, 12:28 AM
I remember playing with walmart splat guns in the park with some friends at night. That is why I got into paintball, fun times. :cool:

OysterBoy
08-06-2004, 12:56 AM
Testing sig.. hehe.

I plan on keeping my mag relatively stock. Level 10 of course.

GotMag?
08-06-2004, 01:08 AM
man, i loved my days when i had no idea what i was getting into or anything, just playing with friends for fun in the woods, i was like man, 30 dollars for that hopper is crazy(used revvy)

Blazestorm
08-06-2004, 01:20 AM
I remember when I stuck my CO2 tank into my hopper :tard:

I miss those days of not knowing anything, calling myself out on bounces, hell even calling myself if I was scared ****less... I was a noob... and like 12 at the time :p

Good times... makes me think about picking up a tippmann for fun...

ramenjames
08-06-2004, 01:33 AM
i love threads like this

and i do miss being a n00b...i meen i havent been playing for long but in this past season i have totally immersed bmyself in all thing paintball (tech work ...reffing ...politics....entiprenurship....everything....tou rny teams soponcership)......and it all makes me wish i could go back and just play......im gonna get another phantom....rekindle the love for just strait un****ed with paintball

RingOfScale
08-06-2004, 01:58 AM
:tard: har, i remember after this first time i played i was telling a friend i wanted to buy a gun exactly like the rental guns cuase it hought they kicked *** and was fast enough for me ....( the guy shooting 10 BPS had a machine gun, and we always complained when he was on the other team :tard: ) and now you see me shooting a bushy *sigh*

vonort
08-06-2004, 10:01 AM
Hah me I don't miss the old days. Why because I still play that way. I dropped tourny play about 10 years ago. The fun had left. It was a bunch of whining, complaining and cheating. And that was from my own team.. Much less the stuff coming from the other teams. I quit tourny and started playing bandit again in the woods. All of the sudden the rush came back. I can't wait from one outing to the next. Some days I take the Cocker all decked out. Other days its the Illusion pump. Sometimes its my AM Sentinel. And now My newest the Hurricaine comes out with me. Some of the most fun though is when we have 1 v 1 duels with Splatmaster and a PGP. I don't miss tourneys at all. I don't miss playing on Blow up feilds. I'm not trying to make this an anti speedball thing. We have a wooded speedball course set up where we play. If we only have 2 v 2 or 3 v 3 thats were we play. If we have a larger group then we use the 60 acres of woods. Every time out is a blast. Hell sometimes I let a buddy use the cocker and I use thier 98C just for kicks. :dance:

ZSigErik
08-06-2004, 10:13 AM
not to be an arse or anything but shank the wiggles, your sig is too big, just wanring ya before a mod gets ya. Though, dilinger is awesome, just givin' ya a heads up.

Lawrence TB Wright
08-06-2004, 10:24 AM
untricked? The Flatline Barrel, Expansion Chamber and aftermarket barrel are all add-ons. While the Tippmanns are great markers (I have children who play with them), I owuldn't call yours untricked or low end. Once you start placing those types of items on the marker, it becomes a whole new beast. Helluva deal though.

slasherdan
08-06-2004, 11:22 AM
The home made winter camo.

Belly crawling across a frozen stream to get the sneak attack on the enemy flank.

When 50 round hoppers were "Bulk Loaders".

But best of all ....

When my wrist rocket sling shot was my backup.

Toro216guy
08-06-2004, 11:28 AM
My first gun was the Tippmann Pro-Lite. :hail: Few of my friends swore by them so I decided to spend the money and buy one. The funny thing is that I bought my Mag RT for less than I paid for the Pro-lite. I have learn from the unfortunate fate of those friends and I will NEVER sale my Pro-Lite. I do like the fact that they want to buy my Pro-Lite from me now.

paint magnet
08-06-2004, 11:34 AM
Shoot, some of the greatest games of paintball I have ever played I played with 'low end' guns...

Right now I've got my Nel-Spot 007 (which is actually older than me) for my stock-class fix, but in the past, some of my favorite guns have been:

-Sheridan P-68 AT
-PPS Stroker (converted from a different P-68 AT)
-Tippmann SL-68 II
-AGD .68 Automag

And as much as I love shooting my Viking, I have to admit that I will put it down in favor of the Mag or 007 from time to time :)

hAppy
08-06-2004, 11:40 AM
I feel you guys, I had a completely tricked out Spyder. Man those were the good ol' days. Tricking out guns was always fun and satisfying. I sure miss that thing. Pics in my sig!

_tMAN
08-06-2004, 11:50 AM
It's taken me almost the whole dang summer to get enough money, and pay for expenses to get an EMAG. I could have sold my 98 awhile ago and gotten my emag alot sooner, but I didn't for two reasons
1) I needed a backup gun, my tippy has never had a problem that I could't fix within 5 minutes and I am an Airsmith god when it comes to my 98 custom. My friends always bring their guns to me for help. I have never let one down yet.

2) I am new to mags, especially an emag, if I screw something up I want to still be able to play with my buddies instead of being done for possible the day

desslock
08-06-2004, 12:35 PM
I quess Im spolied my 1st gun was a 68 classic PF body 20oz co2 on romote line with a 9 volt revi. I remember the 1st time I played with rental tippmans, big woods field, rental googles fogging up tripping over exposed roots. throwing up in the bushes from eating and drinking too much the night before. Was hooked form day one played 2 or 3 more times with rentals bought the mag brand new and a pack, the revi and the co2 used off a buddy, never looked back since. But today Im smart enough not to drink and eat sushi the night before playing on sunday, espically in august heat and humidity lol!!

jtm560
08-06-2004, 12:46 PM
check out my old tippy :cry: :cry:

i miss it

was my first luv :cry:

http://tippmannsniper56.mypicgallery.com/tippmannsniper/100-1495_large.jpg

http://tippmannsniper56.mypicgallery.com/tippmannsniper/100-1471_large.jpg

http://tippmannsniper56.mypicgallery.com/tippmannsniper/100-1496_large.jpg

http://tippmannsniper56.mypicgallery.com/tippmannsniper/100-1491_large.jpg

i got a emag now :D

LudavicoSoldier
08-06-2004, 12:51 PM
untricked? The Flatline Barrel, Expansion Chamber and aftermarket barrel are all add-ons. While the Tippmanns are great markers (I have children who play with them), I owuldn't call yours untricked or low end. Once you start placing those types of items on the marker, it becomes a whole new beast. Helluva deal though.

True enough. Compared to my other guns, this M98 is a real back to basics marker, IMHO. Alls I have installed on it right now is the Flatline barrel, and VA. Check out a pic:

http://idisk.mac.com/dgreening/Public/98C.jpg

dynastyfan
08-06-2004, 12:53 PM
yeah i too want to get back to the days of not knowing anything about paintball and thinking my 98c was the stuff. it was fun back when it ws just you and the guys in the woods

jtm560
08-06-2004, 12:54 PM
nice cadels :p

u should get a remote 4 the sniper look

LudavicoSoldier
08-06-2004, 01:01 PM
I am going to get a smaller tank to run on the VA, and some sling mounts so I can use this thing like an assault rifle w/o a stock, fire from the hip style.

minimag03
08-06-2004, 02:14 PM
That is funny, a couple of weeks ago I fell back in love with a Tippmann Pro-lite.

barrel break
08-06-2004, 03:20 PM
I freakin loved my 98c, i could put ball on ball, and got +/-10FPS (with unregulated co2)

TDonovan
08-06-2004, 06:16 PM
Yeah my 98c isn't too bad... However, I do regret putting any money into it past a new barrel. I can hopefully find enough cash so that I don't have to sell mine when I get a new gun. I'd love to keep it as a backup/fun gun/loaner.

But I did manage to sell off the bigger upgrades on the 98c and all I have now is the new barrel, drop forward, and rear velocity adjuster. I'll probably sell the drop, but the RVA in my opinion is a must.

the larch
08-06-2004, 07:21 PM
My trracer pump, 100 degrees, 100 acres, 1 game took 3 hours. We didn't use deoderant cause it would give away our location............I wonder where those guys are now?

1ofkind
08-06-2004, 08:17 PM
I actually like tippman 98s, its like playing paintball with a baseball bat, thing never breaks.

Digits
08-06-2004, 10:29 PM
I never got an M98, I got a canadian tire gun, then moved to a mag and so on..

But what I really miss is not knowing much about paintball, and playing for a non-winning team, which generally makes for some more exciting ball..

LudavicoSoldier
08-07-2004, 01:33 AM
Prolites make the BEST rentals as well. Prolite vs Spyder compact rental, Tippmann wins hands down every time, with or without barrel upgrade. A field I used to go to had prolites with 12" JJ SS barrels, which was damn nice at the time. I think it might be time to melt back into the rec scene, and not gun whore for no apparent reason. :ninja: