PDA

View Full Version : Skateboarding

mjs1217
08-07-2004, 08:45 PM
hey all,

I've been a fan of skateboarding for about a year now, and I wanna start skateing cause it looks really fun. But the problem is, I have no idea how :( . I have a skateboard that was handed down by my brother (he bought it, but never really used it since he lost interest in it), but nobody to teach me how to use it lol. So, anyone here skate? Anyone have any tips for me untill I find a friend whos willing to teach me?

Also, how many times did you fall before learning how to just go places on a skateboard? (I'd settle for just being able to just go places on a skateboard without knowing any tricks (for now at least)).

Thanks,
-mjs

SlipknotX556
08-07-2004, 08:51 PM
Skated for 3 years, did everything, stairs, rails, ramps. Let me save you a whole lot of cuts and brusies, by telling you not to skate. Only thing skating will do to you is make you angry, because you cant land the trick. Took me 1 day to learn how to ollie, 1 year to land a kickflip. But after I landed the kickflip, everything just became easier, well except for a 360 flip, that was a pain. Skating is fun, but its a pain to learn to do everything.

amoeba
08-07-2004, 09:28 PM
i skated for a year and a half. took me 1 year to ollie. 1.5 years to land 5-6 stairs. did small gaps and what not. i just twisted my ankle on independence day (i tried ollieing a 6-stair)...i couldnt walk for 5 days haha...sucked hardcore... it was hard to stand up and piss and shower...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v181/amoeba/dislocate.jpg

well.. where do you live?

Pballwizz
08-07-2004, 11:00 PM
Slipknot speaks the truth, I think skating rocks but Ive tried for years to land kickflips but sadly I cant. If I do start skating again, Its gunna be freestyle skating. But yea, Im not saying dont skate, but you have to practice.

quik
08-07-2004, 11:20 PM
I have been skating for about 4 years now, and I'll tell you this right now. DONT do it to be cool, do it becuase it looks like fun and you want to have some fun.

Sure slipknot is right by saying its hard, but you should defenitely just not give up. I weigh 240lbs and I am indeed fat. If you think skateboarding for you would be hard, just think of weighing as much as me and doing it.

Skateboarding is very fun and takes alot of effort, time, and PRACTICE. Dont be worried if you cant do alot of tricks, its a hard sport and takes awhile to get used to. For the first year and 1/2 or so, I rarely skated with anyone. But now that I have a car and go to the skatepark alot, I have learned tricks alot quicker than I would if I were alone. Skaters will help you learn the tricks quicker and seeing them pulling such good stuff will really get you excited and usualy tricks come easier.

Just remember, olling is hard. My sister is learning it now, kickflipping is EVEN HARDER. It just takes lots of time, and if you do it for a long time and still cant? Try doing it a different way. You dont always have to do it how the book says. I defenitely dont.

and yes I'm not 1/2 bad. 360 flips and all are fun and come semi-easy to me, but stairs arent fun when your as big as me :).

Just have fun and keep practicing. Dont skate for other people. Skate for yourself, and just have fun doing it.

Warewolf50
08-07-2004, 11:29 PM
I did it for a while, even have a mini ramp in my back yead, which unfortunitly is never used now. Its fun difficut to learn. I got to the point where i could land a kickflib but not consistintly at all. Deffintly will get lost of brtuises on your shins and ***, and jam youir wrists a whole lot, but it is fun, greates feeling in the world when u land a trick that u have been strurggling wiht for a while like your first ledge, or stair set.

desslock
08-08-2004, 02:29 AM
im 32 and I started skating when I was 13, I remember when boards had different shapes. Best advice is try and feel comfortable on your board so get a good pair of skate shoes, flat bottoms w/mucho grip. Dont worry about tricks at 1st just learn to push, get faster and faster you should be able to run up to your board and jump on it without falling off. use your body weight to lean or "carve" thru turns. For gods sakes lossen your trucks(bottom axels). Everybody is different it may take you a few months or a few years to truly feel like ur board is a part of you, not you standing on a piece of wood. Use your board whenever you can, going to the store ur buds house etc. keep riding more board time means better balance and control. If you can try to skate some concrete embankements learn how to push on transitions, with time you will get it. Nobody can truly teach you "how" to skate its not like dance steps just get on your board and ride. Hope you enjoy, skating was and still is a major fun factor in my life. Unfortunately I dont really have that much time plus getting older sucks when u fall, taking a hipper at 32 means the day is done, where as taking a slam at 18 just got me angry tilll I made whatever trick. BTW I have torn the ligaments in my right ankle 5 times my left 3 times. 2 concussions and my wrist makes this weird grinding noise. be carefull make sure ur folks have medical coverage on you lol!! keep ripping.