PDA

View Full Version : Birthday Presents

BTAutoMag
10-21-2001, 08:10 PM
I've noticed that on the calender everyones B-day is there and there anounced on the day of. I was thinking that why doesnt AGD or the moderators send us a present for our B-day. It doesn't have to be much, a few dibbins for our parts kit, some o-rings, or maybe even a squegee. I put a poll on the top please put I agree if you want a present or this is stupid if you dont want a present.

Load SM5
10-21-2001, 08:18 PM
I think AGD does enough for us as it is, don't you think? Tom and Co. bend over backwards to see we are kept happy and have quite enough to keep up with without remembering to send every AO member a "dibbin". We call them nubbins BTW :D

Now your welcome to go ahead and send me a present yourself if you want...I won't mind.

BTAutoMag
10-21-2001, 08:26 PM
you know when i put this on i was thinking why not ill give it a shot it doesnt have to work. if you didnt think this was a good idea just say so i just want to know what people think about it and maybe in the future if there is an over stock of things maybe. i know how hard the moderators work on this site and i apreciate it but again i just wanted to know what people think.

Load SM5
10-21-2001, 08:34 PM
I did'nt mean to sound like I was coming down on you. It's just become a sensititve issue for me lately

I've just heard a lot of people lately trying to get something for nothing from AGD and I guess I got a little hot about it. Sorry to sound harsh.

I'll send you a dibbin on your birthday :D

BTAutoMag
10-21-2001, 08:46 PM
uh thanks i guess. ill send you one too.

Magadeth
10-21-2001, 09:00 PM
Cool! would you guys send me a sploogie bolt for mine? And howsabout a new Modulator Flea-Mag? I promise I will send you a thingamagadget for yours.:p

AkaEnder
10-21-2001, 09:31 PM
bad idea

shartley
10-22-2001, 06:40 AM
Many of you will identify with this example:

Back when I used to smoke, I would get people coming up all the time and asking for a cigarette. Each person only asked for ONE cigarette. Each person did not deplete my pack of its cigarettes, they only got one… right?

Well, it only takes 20 people to empty a pack of cigarettes. Hmmmmm And now add at least 5 or 10 people throughout the day asking for only ONE cigarette. Do the math… that is a whole lot of cigarettes!

The same is true with the “gift” idea. At the time this Post was written there was 2800 Registered Members. Now what would be the cost for stamps alone if you wanted to send even a simple letter saying “Happy Birthday”? Since some of the members are in other countries, it brings just the postage to over $900. alone. And like I said, that is just a letter.

Now, you have envelopes. You have to have someone send them. Etc. Etc. Etc.

It all sounds good and well until you think of what it would actually take to do. Too many times Members here on AO think of the “I” and how easy it is to do something as the “I” sending to the “you”. The big picture gets lost. If dealing with 10 or 20 people, many of the ideas would be just fine… but AGD and AO are not dealing with such small numbers.

Also, as Load SM5 pointed out, it seems that every time you turn around, people on AO are wanting something for nothing. Tom is expected to show his appreciation for everyone in increasingly more extravagant and numerous manners. This is just not right. Give an inch, take a mile.

I would like a vacation, and I am sure Tom would too.. SO, what I suggest is your idea in reverse. Why doesn’t every member send ME $5. Hey that is not a lot of money right? I am sure you all could scrape that up with no difficulty. That would be 5 times 2800….. $14,000. I am sure Tom and his Girlfriend, and my Wife and I, could get away for a week on that with no problem. And I am sure we would have a good time.

See my point? Isn’t enough being done for AO already? And I am also not “getting down on you” for making the suggestion. What I am saying is that maybe more thought be put into things before they are asked. And maybe a bit more of what we can do for Tom and AO, and less of what Tom and AO can do for US.

Thanks.

Temo Vryce
10-22-2001, 07:30 AM
Well how about this instead of a dibbin/nubbin, how about an email or pm from Tom and the Moderators saying happy birthday. I'm sure everyone would be happy to just get an e-mail. Just my $0.02

zvanut
10-22-2001, 02:44 PM
Shartley, good point,

Load, good idea but over 2800 pms and/or e-mails for birthday cards, thats quite a bit :)

Load SM5
10-22-2001, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by zvanut

Load, good idea but over 2800 pms and/or e-mails for birthday cards, thats quite a bit :)

I agree, that's why I did'nt suggest it. Check above your post. That suggestion belongs to Temo Vryce.

Give credit where credit is due.:D

BTAutoMag
10-22-2001, 05:39 PM
the b-day e-card is a good idea and i think that we should follow through with it. why not. all ya need to do is make it to where hwen your b-day pops up a computer automaticly sends you a card. if you think i puting all this work on the already large work load or the moderators im not (so dont complain Load SM5) ill even help if it follows through

shartley
10-22-2001, 05:46 PM
Can I complain? Please!!!!!!! Can I? Can I.. huh? Please, please, please? :D

zvanut
10-22-2001, 05:47 PM
sorry load,

my bad

:rolleyes:

Load SM5
10-22-2001, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by shartley
Can I complain? Please!!!!!!! Can I? Can I.. huh? Please, please, please? :D

By all means, it seems I'm not allowed to anymore. I'll just send my complaint to you so you can fire them out on my behalf.

No prob Zvanut...

BTAutoMag
10-22-2001, 05:54 PM
load i was just being sarcastic but it does make for a fun thread dont you think:) make all the complaints, wise cracks, jokes, or sarcastic remarks about this post as you want. the more the merrier.

Load SM5
10-22-2001, 05:59 PM
I know, I sort of figured. Believe me, I have'nt even begun to complain! MUWAHAHAHAHAHHA!

zvanut
10-22-2001, 06:00 PM
uh ohh..... what have i created :)???

BTAutoMag
10-22-2001, 06:04 PM
what do you mean what have you created if he grows fur and starts killing people I'm whiping out my silver paintballs

Load SM5
10-22-2001, 06:06 PM
Well I do have alot of hair...

LizzaRTgirl14
10-22-2001, 06:30 PM
your hair is longer than mine.....

Load SM5
10-22-2001, 06:34 PM
Oh man, that's gonna cost me..

joeyjoe367
10-23-2001, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by LizzaRTgirl14
your hair is longer than mine.....

Lol!:D

I agree with Shartly. It would be a big drain on Tom & AGD. They're already doing a lot of great stuff for us, and I think we should try to apreciate that.

and Shartly... Smoking is bad for you! ;) Good thing you stopped.

shartley
10-24-2001, 05:23 PM
I agree. But I used to run 10 miles a day AND smoke 3 packs a day. I know that is no World Record, but it kind of blows some of the "Don't smoke because..." stuff out if the water. LOL

It was rough though. Being a heavy smoker for over 15 years, and then quitting cold turkey. But I did it, and about a year before my youngest was born. :)

Both me and my Wife stopped at the same time. Our kids thank us for it. They really are GREAT kids.

But on the other hand, I am NOT like one of those Ex-Smokers on a crusade (yeah, you know the type). To each their own. For me, that time has passed. :)

(Added note: My hair was also down the middle of my back up until a couple years ago... LOL After the service and stuff, I let it grow. Now I am back to a high-and-tight. BUT, I still have my beard. :D)

Snappy
10-25-2001, 08:52 PM
Isn't it easy to make a mod that will automatically send you an e-mail? I mean, come on, it's not like every e-mail is written, e-stamped, e-licked, and e-dropped in an e-mailbox by a living, breathing, person. -q\/:p\/p-

Load SM5
10-25-2001, 08:58 PM
E-licked? :confused: