PDA

View Full Version : Where did my CD drive go?

PyRo
08-09-2004, 04:57 PM
My computer had 2 drives, a DVD drive, and a cd burner. I took the burner out and replaced it with a dvd burner about half an hour ago. I put it in, turned on the computer and the little window that says new hardware found with the name of the burner. But my internet wasn't working so I fixed that and restarted the computer. When I restarted though, both my cd drives are nowhere to be found. It add hardware it says my secondary IDE controller is working fine, I tried replacing the cable, I tried plugging in only one drive (both of them and I made sure they were set to master when they were the only drive) and no luck. I didn't open up the computer fixing the internet so I dont' think I could have messed up the board. Any ideas?
Add hardware says for the burner "Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device. (Code 41)"

Ok, now it says failed to find secondary hard drive when I start the computer, yet when it starts the secont hard drive is there and working just fine.

giblit
08-10-2004, 12:03 AM
only thing i can think of is your partition. might have to redo it.

_tMAN
08-10-2004, 12:06 AM
Do you know how to check if one is primary and one is slave?

Your problem is if you have both of the little plastic peices in the same position, they will both not work.

I don't think I can talk you through how to do it, but if you need help I guess I could try

pbzmag
08-10-2004, 12:24 AM
Did you scan for viruses or spyware?

PyRo
08-10-2004, 05:20 PM
I did get the thing working again, who thought system restore would actually be good for somthing. Now I have only the dvd burner, havn't tried setting up both at the same time yet. Burning DVD's is proving to be more of a PITA then I thought it would, perhaps I should bring the thing back and put the money twords a nice new TV.

No virus, no spyware.

And yes I know about making one master and the other slave, and I had them plugged into the proper spots on the IDE cable. After it stopped working I unplugged the dvd burner and left only the dvd drive when that didn't work I changed the burner to master and tried that as the only drive, no good.

ScatterPlot
08-10-2004, 10:43 PM
Check for elves. If you have a cat, that works nicely.

magman#1
08-10-2004, 11:20 PM
you need to set the jumpers correctly for master and slave. check and see if the bios recognizes the drives, if they show up in bios, then it's a windows problem. they may require drivers(never seen a drive that does, but maybe)

PyRo
08-11-2004, 01:48 AM
Master and slave were set right, I checked it about ten times that is the first thing that came to mind. But it wouldn't have worked at all the first time if they were incorrect.

MarkM
08-11-2004, 04:30 AM
Go into the Bios and use the manual detect option so that even if it says the dvd/cd drive is there select the primary etc etc and then hit the return key on each to detect the hardware, Save the settings and exit and it should be all ok. I had this issue with a new secondary hardrive that I installed into a machine, XP is a pain when it comes to installing harddrives having to do all the disk management stuff is way too long...never thought I would say it but Win 98 had is sorted but hey I suppose it is progress :rolleyes:

PyRo
08-11-2004, 07:43 AM
I didn't have a problem putting my hard drive in, I just plugged it in and XP walked me right through the setup :)
Thanks though, i'm going to try that.

MarkM
08-12-2004, 04:59 AM
Well?