PDA

View Full Version : Where to learn about handguns?

joeyjoe367
08-10-2004, 01:19 AM
Hello all,

I know that a lot of the users here are very gun-savvy so I thought I'd come for some advice. I've been around guns my entire life, I personally own a Beretta 12gauge shotgun, but now I'm thinking I'm going to be in the market for a hangun in the near future and I'd like to know where I can go to get information, feedback and opinions about handguns. A good handgunners forum would be great.

I'll take any recommendations right here as well, as long as it's not a glock :) I've shot a couple and just didn't like how they felt. Looks are not really that important, but it needs to work, ALL THE TIME.

Thanks in advance.

...haven't posted in a while... wtf is with all the smilies?!?!?! :shooting:

dj89
08-10-2004, 01:24 AM
call my mom or dad
my dad is a weapons trainer
my mom is a retired police sergent

SniperSmurf
08-10-2004, 01:35 AM
I don't care for Glocks much myself, or the Beretta 92F (M9) which I've been trained to shoot. My personal favorites of those I own would have to be the Sig Sauer P226, Walther P88, and custom Colt 1911. These are all older models and I've been out of it for a while (besides work related) so I'm not really up-to-date on any of the newer models out there. Just do a Google search for handgun forums. There are tons out there. Find one you feel comfortable in and which makes you feel welcome and stick with it! Most importantly, have fun and stay safe!
:cheers:

Linkwarner
08-10-2004, 03:16 AM
My favorite is an old S&W 45, not the most accurate thing in the world, but to go out behind your house and splatter a few 2lt bottles of water all over the place is just perfect.

Yudanja
08-10-2004, 10:21 AM
My brother has a HK USP chambered in .40 cal. I love that gun.

At first the grips are kindy rough, we like hogue grips so we slapped on a wrap around and it solved taht problem. Nice shooting, beautiful looking, HK quality...all you can ask for in a handgun.

rehme
08-10-2004, 10:24 AM
python 357

skife
08-10-2004, 10:41 AM
since nobody has said it yet, because they are all posting guns you should get.

my advice would be to go down to your local gun range and talk to people, Talk to the owners, the shooters, the guy behind the counter.

rent some guns and shoot them (some ranges will do this)
find a gun that you like and talk to people who own that model.

unreal45
08-10-2004, 11:16 AM
Go to www.thehighroad.org you will find a ton of info there.
BTW my favorite is the 1911 .45acp

joeyjoe367
08-10-2004, 01:41 PM
Thanks for the replies, I was looking at the Sig 226, seems like a pretty down to earth workhorse. I'll have to give it a try.

I think I'm going to stick with 9mm since it's so cheap to shoot. I've probably got a couple hundred dollars in 9mm ammunition sitting around anyway.

SCpoloRicker
08-10-2004, 02:31 PM
HK's are great, reliable weapons.

I bought my Dad a full frame 9mm, and I am picking up a 45 for myself. Love the guns, they balance well and seem to be dead reliable (we baby 'em). Heard stories of them being buried for months at a time, exposed to salt water, etc. and still functioning.

Going to a local range is a good idea. Most will let you shoot rentals, and some have a flat fee to shoot any different weapon you'd like.