PDA

View Full Version : The company that makes PBN2 tanks, needs a lawsuit

scrumpy
08-10-2004, 12:11 PM
I was just tuning up my level ten at a friends house and then came home. I dry fired most of my air out of my tank, to the point where it wouldn't cycle anymore, but there was still around 150-200psi in the tank. As I screwed off my n2 tank(PBN2) I heard a poping noise followed by the sound of air gushing out of something. I stopped unscrewing immediatly to find that the regulator is coming out of my cylinder and had that thing been full, I could have been killed, or someone around me. I don't understand how this could have passed QC, but I'm pissed. I'm in the market for a new tank anyway and this just sealed it's fate. BTW if anyone wants to buy a 47/3000 cylinder give me a pm.
Dylan

Carbon Blue
08-10-2004, 12:14 PM
dang that sucks! but i dont think anyone would want to buy that tank after what had happened to you. hehehe. Was the field strip screw in place? how about the z-lock (dont know if that matters)?

Skoad
08-10-2004, 12:15 PM
If the thing had been full, chances are it wouldn't of came unscrewed. But yea thats not really supposed to happen anyway.

scrumpy
08-10-2004, 12:15 PM
I don't think there is a field strip screw on my air tank, the cylinder is fine, its catalina cylinders made in 7/03, but the regulator wasn't loktighted on correctly. If i had a digital camera I take pics of what just happened but I can't.

deathstalker
08-10-2004, 12:20 PM
As I screwed off my n2 tank(PBN2) I heard a poping noise followed by the sound of air gushing out of something. I stopped unscrewing immediatly to find that the regulator is coming out of my cylinder and had that thing been full, I could have been killed, or someone around me.
I doubt you would have been injured at all; it sounds like the safety features were doing their job.

Ninja edit: I sure hope there wasn't ANY loc-tite on there. Please don't fix it yourself. :)

teufelhunden
08-10-2004, 12:31 PM
Loctiting tank regs on... is bad...

scrumpy
08-10-2004, 12:48 PM
Don't worry, I don't plan on fixing it myself, infact I don't plan on fixing it...I'm probably going to salvage the guage off of the reg and sell the cylinder if I can. Safety features? I think the thing had safety hazards doing their job.

Hexis
08-10-2004, 12:52 PM
That poping sound and air rushing was the saftey hole in the threads. It did it's job perfectly, it stopped you from completly removing the regulator from the tank.

fire1811
08-10-2004, 12:57 PM
bah its fine
both were said above
loctite is not to be used on reg threads
and
if the tank was full it is extremely doubtfull you could have even moved the reg.
the pressure inside the tank keeps it tight

just screw it back in, do not over tighten it. and air it back up and have fun.

scrumpy
08-10-2004, 01:01 PM
I think that I won't put it back in myself, I don't want to **** anything up, I'll probably take it to a proshop then if this isn't that big of a deal, or sell it. I'm going to get a new tank either way though....

fire1811
08-10-2004, 01:04 PM
its really no big deal bro i know a lot of tourney players that take there reg off everytime they fly. its not recommended obviously but it works.

but if your getting a new tank. crossfire or pmi for screw-ins

Wc Keep
08-10-2004, 01:16 PM
i did that once to my nitro duck tank. and nitro duck makes awesome tanks.

Blazestorm
08-10-2004, 01:20 PM
Happens with most tanks.

It's supposed to be torqued down with 40lbs but some companies don't do it (Smart-Parts is an example) and often times while flying it's neccessary to remove the two. It's perfectly fine, I loctited mine with blue loctite just "in-case" I have some decent strap-wrenchs if I ever need to take them apart.

scrumpy
08-10-2004, 02:10 PM
This is confusing though, almost every thread I've ever read concerning regulators and cylinders says something along the line of "don't mess with your reg or you'll pay for it in the end".

PissedGodzilla
08-10-2004, 02:14 PM
most people in this thread keep saying don't use loctite on your reg... well, my question is.. what are we supposed to use?

~PG

Hexis
08-10-2004, 02:19 PM
Nothing. Regulators should be tightened to a specific torque and not thread locked on. Putting a thread locker on can clog the saftey release hole in the threads, and if that was true in this case we would be reading a story of a small rocket, not an annoyed player.

deathstalker
08-10-2004, 02:20 PM
most people in this thread keep saying don't use loctite on your reg... well, my question is.. what are we supposed to use?

~PG
Torque

scrumpy
08-10-2004, 02:29 PM
Is there an easy way to figure out how much torque I need to get my reg on with, or should I just drive to the local shop?

WenULiVeUdiE
08-10-2004, 02:48 PM
Take it to your shop just to be safe.

manike
08-10-2004, 02:49 PM
That poping sound and air rushing was the saftey hole in the threads. It did it's job perfectly, it stopped you from completly removing the regulator from the tank.

Absolutely it did it's job perfectly. :clap:

Also had the tank been full you wouldn't have been able to unscrew the reg from the tank.

At the point the force is low enough to unscrew the reg from the tank, the actual pressure left isn't dangerous and will exit via the bleed hole or the threads before you can fully remove the tank.

You don't need to torque your reg on! Don't!

Just screw it hand tight and then fill it and you should be fine.

brtncstm160
08-10-2004, 03:01 PM
That happened to my pbn2 tank when i got it for free in a deal off pbgear. I didnt have mine full of air at the time, but i was fortunate to be in the presence of a gun tech so he fixed it right up, he said he put like 75 pounds of tourque or sumtin like that, whatever. I dont have that tank anymore anyways, it sucked.

JJ

scrumpy
08-10-2004, 03:13 PM
it's not so much the tank that sucks, it's the regulator. It leaks out of every hole...

tony3
08-10-2004, 04:13 PM
Yeah, my maxflo is only screwed on hand tight and it works great. Just screw it on as tight as you can, and youll be fine.

scrumpy
08-10-2004, 04:19 PM
Ok, I've heard it enough times to be slightly more secure about it. I'll put 'er on as tight as I can untill I buy a new tank. But if I die...I'm going to be pissed :mad:

ScatterPlot
08-10-2004, 10:17 PM
Had it been a crummy tank it wouldn't have vented like it did. Better be glad it did that. I have had absolutely no trouble with my tanks hand tightened at all. The pressure should keep it on there pretty stinkin good.

scrumpy
08-10-2004, 10:26 PM
Ok, I'd like to apologize to PBN2 for criticizing their tanks, but only because they saved my life... You're safety features are well thought out and work well. Other than that, you're regulators leak all of the time and you're guages are innaccurate.

Automaggin2
08-10-2004, 10:34 PM
It happened to me twice, with 2 different tanks. No biggie really. If it was full, there would probably be to much pressure for you to even move the reg.

SpecialBlend2786
08-10-2004, 11:55 PM
happened with my nitroduck. Everything still works fine :)

Oh yeah, and congrats on still being alive :headbang:

Enemy
08-11-2004, 01:01 AM
happened on my pmi tank i didnt realize it had set screws!!! anyways always torque stuff when you can and to the specified torque would you want your tires put on hand tight and to hear the tech say the pressure from the car on the threads will keep your tire on!!! but maybe im just paranoid from working on cars tomuch.

RingOfScale
08-11-2004, 01:16 AM
like people were saying above, doesnt higher pressure prevent a tank from being unscrewed ? aka if it was at like 1000 PSI u couldnt have taken it off ...

my posts always feel insignificant , caus people always say stuff before me that i wanted to say *sigh * :(

RoboBeaver
08-11-2004, 01:19 AM
Ok, I'd like to apologize to PBN2 for criticizing their tanks, but only because they saved my life... You're safety features are well thought out and work well. Other than that, you're regulators leak all of the time and you're guages are innaccurate.

you get what you pay for :D