PDA

View Full Version : 68 classic question

moondoggie
08-11-2004, 04:02 PM
I recently bought a modified 68 classic off ebay. It has a lvl 10 bolt system installed. The guy said the gun worked fine when he shipped it, however the power tube tip was broken and I think other pieces are missing also. When I put an air source on the gun, it cocks, but doesnt fire correctly. It burps when I pull the trigger, but only after turning the velocity up to near venting out of the reg. Sometimes it does nothing at all when I put air on (if I am not messing with the velocity). This led me to believe that it was a problem with the on/off assembly. So I read the manual for 68 classics, but it shows all lvl 7 parts. The on/off assembly seems like it is missing something to me. It came with the bottom piece, 1 teflon oring and 1 oring for the on/off bottom. The manual shows an on/off top, plus 2 other orings. Is this true for a lvl 10 bolt system? Probably not...considering that I bought an on/off top and some orings and all the stuff doesnt even fit into the chamber. But it is funny because all of those pieces are etched right on to the gun..like they should be there. But like I said, I can't even fit the guts of the gun back in the body with the on/off bottom piece hanging out like it does with all of those pieces in there. WTF? This guy ripped me off bad, I dont have any automag buddies that can help me, and I have never seen a lvl 10 bolt system that has worked. So in a nutshell, my gun doesnt work and I am still pretty clueless why. I called AGD up and asked them last week, the guy told me that a lvl 10 bolt does need the top piece plus the 2 orings in the bottom. He said the problem might also be the regulator valve, he said a bad valve would cause venting out of the back of the gun. That part, however, I have not replaced yet, I guess it will probably be next on the list. So what gives? Help me if you can!

moondoggie
08-11-2004, 05:22 PM
tinkered with on/off setup a bit..inserted 2 orings that were missing but left out the on/off top (all of the parts wont fit in there, as stated above). it is still burping...hell it goes full auto when i hold down the trigger. everything looks ok to me in the power tube etc..but it has got to be something with this on/off assembly. im so frustrated that i spent the money for this gun and got ripped off...im about to cry. lol. help!

BAMFSK
08-12-2004, 09:32 AM
Your basic first time lvl X setup up should be the powertube tip next is 2 shims and then the carrier which has a small o-ring that you put in it and 1 black one on the outside. behind the carrier there is a small plastic o ring that prevents the one on the carrier from falling into the valve

After that gas it up if you hear a leak down the barrel put a smaller carrier on if not take it to the chrono and fire until you get the velocity to 285 and it fires every time this will require that you put different springs on the bolt.

if it leaks out the back of the valve..look on the side and see if there are 4 stars on the side of the valve...if there are then take the valve off and send it into AGD for service. I recently bought a used minimag and managed to install the lvl 10 knowing nothing about it besides the written directions in about 3hours which including firing about 1000 rounds through it to break in the carrier and put in the next smallest one after it started leaking which is normal.

Also Change All the o-rings on the gun <-----that kit cost about 16 bucks make sure all new orings have oil on them including all lvl 10 parts.

This thread also may be of assitance

LVL X guide (http://www.automags.org/resource/level10/index.shtml#detailed)

If you have any questions just give me a call here at my work 919-212-4593 or PM me :cheers:

moondoggie
08-12-2004, 05:13 PM
victory! the gun finally fires, and she does it beautifully. The problem was that there was an oring jammed down into the on/off that i couldnt see or get out, so when I put it all together there was 1 too many orings :wow: thanks for the input!

moondoggie
08-16-2004, 02:45 PM
well the gun did fire. After getting the on/off pin setup straightened out, i was able to use the gun for a days worth of play. I got home today intending to test some paint to see what shoots best, low an behold, the power tube tip is broken in half, for the second time. what would cause this heavy piece to snap?

athomas
08-18-2004, 08:36 AM
Are you saying, you replaced the broken powertube tip and the 2nd one broke as well? If so, then something is drastically out of alignment. Check the movement of the bolt o the powertube to see if it rubs hard or catches along the entire length.